U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 07:03 PM

6,367 posts, read 13,080,922 times

Advertisements

Here's a timely article for you

https://healthypets.mercola.com/site..._rid=704705632

Cats do not get fat or lazy after they are spayed. As adults, cats change they way they like to play, that's all. As it happens I saw another article just yesterday that can tell you about that.

https://deziroo.com/blogs/pawsitive-...9DlkN3LUVqPd-8

Here are some very important things you need to know.

It is extremely dangerous for a cat to lose weight too fast. No more than an ounce a week, or even a half ounce, is better.

You will need a baby scale to monitor her weight loss.

A cat will not lose weight on a dry diet, so the first thing you need to do is transition your cat to timed feeding (scheduled meals) and then to a wet diet.

You SHOULD take her in for a check up fist, with blood work, to make sure she doesn't have anything going on, before you start. However, you should NOT let your vet sell you any "prescription" diet dry kibble. It's all high carb junk. Even the canned is high carbs.

Your cat needs canned low carb wet food. NOT "diet" food, as these reduce protein and fat and load up on carbs, which is what makes cats fat in the first place.

Four meals a day will help you reduce her intake while keeping her satisfied.

A few we had another thread on this and the person switched their cat to Fancy Feast classics (the only low carb formula) and kitty did lose the wieght and become healthy and much more active as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 03:02 PM

18,903 posts, read 11,905,298 times
While I get what some people say about only feeding wet food, the fact is, some cats will starve to death before eating a bite of wet food, they prefer dry. Chewy was this way, we tried everything to get him to eat wet food, and he would always walk away. We even withheld food for a while, and he simply did not eat wet.

Our three (including Mama Cat at our shop) do eat a little wet for breakfast and dinner, but they still want that dish of dry sitting there to nibble on during the day. The people who chastise us for giving dry are simply being unrealistic, cats have their personal preferences and that is all they will eat.

Seriously, we could have starved Chewy for a week, and he still would not go near wet.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:46 PM

Any cat can be transitioned. It takes work, for some a lot of time and patience and effort, is all. If a cat's ehalth depends upon it, I would think the effort would be worth it.

Last edited by catsmom21; 09-11-2019 at 04:02 PM..

Old 09-13-2019, 02:43 AM

406 posts, read 461,925 times
Well I realize I have been doing this all wrong! I've been giving my pleasantly plump cat wet food as the treat. She gets 1/4 cup dry morning and night and about 2 tbsp. wet at bedtime. Plus about 6 or so Temptations during the day.
Attached Thumbnails
My cat is too fat...-jackie.jpg  

Old 09-13-2019, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmom2000 View Post
Well I realize I have been doing this all wrong! I've been giving my pleasantly plump cat wet food as the treat. She gets 1/4 cup dry morning and night and about 2 tbsp. wet at bedtime. Plus about 6 or so Temptations during the day.

Yep you are doing it wrong, well, half wrong. Feeding scheduled meals is good. But transition (slowly) away from the kibble to all wet, and get rid of the Temptations. If you want to use treats use a freeze dried pure protein treat like PureBites.

Pleasantly plump, in a cat is not pleasant at all, it is unhealthy. Cats are meant to be lean.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:53 AM

2,439 posts, read 2,240,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Any cat can be transitioned. It takes work, for some a lot of time and patience and effort, is all. If a cat's ehalth depends upon it, I would think the effort would be worth it.
Yes it can take a lot of work. It took me years (years!) to transition our Benny. He's now 19 and eating canned and doing pretty well given his age. IMO it was worth it because he needs the wet food more than ever.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Yes it can take a lot of work. It took me years (years!) to transition our Benny. He's now 19 and eating canned and doing pretty well given his age. IMO it was worth it because he needs the wet food more than ever.

I remember. I knew there was someone here who had posted about it. Well done.

Old 09-14-2019, 12:24 AM

406 posts, read 461,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Yep you are doing it wrong, well, half wrong. Feeding scheduled meals is good. But transition (slowly) away from the kibble to all wet, and get rid of the Temptations. If you want to use treats use a freeze dried pure protein treat like PureBites.

Pleasantly plump, in a cat is not pleasant at all, it is unhealthy. Cats are meant to be lean.

Can you please give me a few choices of wet food that you recommend and the amount each time? I will look for the Purebites next time I'm out. I'm wondering why my Vet did not mention transitioning to wet food?

Old 09-14-2019, 01:41 AM

16,732 posts, read 14,192,271 times
Quote:
Can you please give me a few choices of wet food that you recommend and the amount each time? I will look for the Purebites next time I'm out. I'm wondering why my Vet did not mention transitioning to wet food?
Vets, like human doctors, often are lacking in knowledge regarding nutrition, except in the case of keeping alive, lol.

Choices are numerous, you should probably do some reading. They range from the filled with filler Friskies, to some grain free, blah blah, premium stuff that has zero filler, maybe three ingredients.

I am usually feeding my cats around 11 or so ounces a day. I have many cats, so it varies, and some days they hungrier than others. They get fed 3-4 times a day, the 11 or so ounces is over the course of the day.

Dry food is a treat for them, yes they like it, we all have our potato chips. But I treat it as a treat. Dry is also good when I am going to be out for a prolonged period, that way they got some sort of food.

I mix it up with cheap Friskies, and some pricier stuff like Wellness select, and forget all the other brands. The dozens of community cats I feed all get friskies, and a pile of dry.

I have numerous home cats, i got to play the game of who wants to eat what and where, others trying to steal, some want to cover and save for later, etc. I also got cats that want to pig out, and others that self regulate.

Old 09-14-2019, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Well you can take the cynical view that vets make more money on cats fed junk food than they do on properly hydrated healthy cats. Or you can believe that vets are lazy and can't be bothered to look past the "nutritional education" they received in school taught by pet food representatives, and the sales representatives that visit their practice, and that they talk to at their annual conventions.

It isn't difficult to find out and understand that a cat is a strict obligate carnivore designed to eat food sourced from meat animals, and designed to get his moisture from his food. It's an easy fact to find out about.

Kibble is cheap and easy and keeps the income rolling in.

I feed my cats a raw diet now (7 1/2 years) and don't keep up with what canned foods are available. Learn to read labels is my advice. Since no foods are perfect if you feed a rotation you'll get enough variety to avoid too many yucky tings. Things to try to avoid are carrageenan, sugar, (yes some companies actually add sugar to pet food), grains, spinach, too many other vegetables and fruits, xanthan gum, agar-agar, menadione sodium bisufate (fake K).

Generally speaking a 9-10 pound cat should be eating about 6 ounces of canned a day. This will vary of course, the cat's metabolism, activity level, age, the brand of food, will all also be factored in. It will take a little time to work out what is best for your cat.

I have a baby scale and weigh weekly to monitor weight. That's a reliable way to determine if the cat is getting the right amount of food. I also keep a cat journal recording what they are fed, and poop out poop, and any other thing that might turn out to need monitoring, rather than rely on memory.

If a cat suddenly seems to be ill, with a discharge from nose or eyes,for instance, if you've written down when you first noticed the symptom (such as a sneeze, if the cat doesn't normally sneeze) you'll be able to tell the vet I first noticed something on such and such a date, instead of guessing.

Transition advice to follow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats