U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 02:04 AM

6,365 posts, read 13,073,224 times

Advertisements

If you are free feeding, stop. Feed on a schedule. Three meals a day. Measure the food for the whole day and portion it out. (you need to know how much she is eating every day) Put down the measured food, if it isn't gone in a half hour pick it up until the next meal. If you are already feeding on a schedule that's even better.

A kibble addict doesn't recognize that canned food is food. She's been programmed, probably from weaning, to eat a junk food diet.

Develop a meal time routine. For example: Have a game together, then feed her. Three times a day, play then meal time. When you put down the fresh kibble place a tiny blob of wet food in a separate dish right next to it. A small shallow or flat glass dish. Think a little saucer. That's all. Just leave it there, in a separate dish and pick it up when you pick up the other dish.

After a week or so, if the wet food is still being ignored, use a little incentive. Forti Flora is something most cats find irresistible (because it is made mainly of animal digest, same thing sprayed on kibble) but I prefer something healthier, such as freeze dried pure protein treats. But whatever works, to start. Sprinkle a little over the kibble, and a lot more over the wet. This makes the food in both dishes smell the same.

Often this (the incentive) is the step that works, and kitty starts eating that blob. Might just lick off the forti flora or freeze dried chicken dust first.

Keep at that stage for a few days, once the blob is being eaten, gradually increase the amount of wet and decrease the amount of kibble.

You might experiment a little after things are going well, and leave the incentive off the kibble and just on the wet for a few days.

Next try putting down one meal of just wet, with the incentive. Keep the other meals with the offering of both. Once that meal is being eaten, replace another meal with all wet. And so on.

Pate is better than chunks in gravy or shredded types. Generally speaking, better for the cat as well (usually lower in carbs) but also, cats seem to prefer it. It's okay to use cheap smelly brands at first. You can worry about improving the quality later. Another trick to try during all this is to add enough warm water to make it into a little bit of gravy to be lapped up.

Don't make a big deal out of it, or any fuss at all. You want to avoid any stress about it. Just place that saucer of wet (remember, very important: no more than a teaspoon to start) next to the dish of kibble at each meal, then pick it up if it's not eaten.

Don't worry about how long it takes. It takes as long as it takes. You'll get there in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 05:04 AM

52 posts, read 12,637 times
We currently have a cat which was a foster, however it appears as if the rescue “dumped” him on us. Came here @25lbs in late May, as of yesterday weighed 21lbs.

Hi protein, high calorie food may sound counter intuitive however that is the key to feline biology. Contrary to common thought, cats need crunchy food for their dental health and there are companies that make healthy dry food. Fact check if you don’t believe, a cat needs 5 mice a day to maintain their health. That is what a balanced cat food is based on, scientifically. Yes the premium foods are more expensive, that is because they require less food for optimum health.

That is Dunkins Odyssey, Premium High Calorie High Protein food and he can now walk, run, scamper, and begin to jump again. All on 1/2 cup of food a day, and a smiling vet every 8 weeks.

Yes, we had to pick him up and carry him only to plop him on the floor so he had no choice but to walk to where his food was. Heartbreaking to watch him struggle in the beginning, but we cheered him on every time. He actually doesn’t seem as interested in food as he used to be.

Oh, did I mention that Dunkin came to us at the age of 11?

Old 09-14-2019, 07:17 AM

6,365 posts, read 13,073,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplehaired View Post
We currently have a cat which was a foster, however it appears as if the rescue “dumped” him on us. Came here @25lbs in late May, as of yesterday weighed 21lbs.

Hi protein, high calorie food may sound counter intuitive however that is the key to feline biology. Contrary to common thought, cats need crunchy food for their dental health and there are companies that make healthy dry food. Fact check if you don’t believe, a cat needs 5 mice a day to maintain their health. That is what a balanced cat food is based on, scientifically. Yes the premium foods are more expensive, that is because they require less food for optimum health.

That is Dunkins Odyssey, Premium High Calorie High Protein food and he can now walk, run, scamper, and begin to jump again. All on 1/2 cup of food a day, and a smiling vet every 8 weeks.

Yes, we had to pick him up and carry him only to plop him on the floor so he had no choice but to walk to where his food was. Heartbreaking to watch him struggle in the beginning, but we cheered him on every time. He actually doesn’t seem as interested in food as he used to be.

Oh, did I mention that Dunkin came to us at the age of 11?

Absolutely false. That kibble is good for a cat's teeth was made up by pet food manufacturers to sell product. It has no basis in fact at all. Cats are strict obligate carnivores with sharp pointy teeth. Kibble, of any make, is high carb junk food that does not clean teeth or benefit dental heath.

I'm glad your foster is getting to a more healthy weight in spite of his dry diet, though it sounds like you are starving him to do it. A 21 pound cat must be very hungry on 1/2 cup of high carb junk food a day. He would do much better on low carb high protein moderate fat wet food and is going to have other health problems if you don't start getting some moisture into his diet.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:09 PM

406 posts, read 461,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
If you are free feeding, stop. Feed on a schedule. Three meals a day. Measure the food for the whole day and portion it out. (you need to know how much she is eating every day) Put down the measured food, if it isn't gone in a half hour pick it up until the next meal. If you are already feeding on a schedule that's even better.

A kibble addict doesn't recognize that canned food is food. She's been programmed, probably from weaning, to eat a junk food diet.

Develop a meal time routine. For example: Have a game together, then feed her. Three times a day, play then meal time. When you put down the fresh kibble place a tiny blob of wet food in a separate dish right next to it. A small shallow or flat glass dish. Think a little saucer. That's all. Just leave it there, in a separate dish and pick it up when you pick up the other dish.

After a week or so, if the wet food is still being ignored, use a little incentive. Forti Flora is something most cats find irresistible (because it is made mainly of animal digest, same thing sprayed on kibble) but I prefer something healthier, such as freeze dried pure protein treats. But whatever works, to start. Sprinkle a little over the kibble, and a lot more over the wet. This makes the food in both dishes smell the same.

Often this (the incentive) is the step that works, and kitty starts eating that blob. Might just lick off the forti flora or freeze dried chicken dust first.

Keep at that stage for a few days, once the blob is being eaten, gradually increase the amount of wet and decrease the amount of kibble.

You might experiment a little after things are going well, and leave the incentive off the kibble and just on the wet for a few days.

Next try putting down one meal of just wet, with the incentive. Keep the other meals with the offering of both. Once that meal is being eaten, replace another meal with all wet. And so on.

Pate is better than chunks in gravy or shredded types. Generally speaking, better for the cat as well (usually lower in carbs) but also, cats seem to prefer it. It's okay to use cheap smelly brands at first. You can worry about improving the quality later. Another trick to try during all this is to add enough warm water to make it into a little bit of gravy to be lapped up.

Don't make a big deal out of it, or any fuss at all. You want to avoid any stress about it. Just place that saucer of wet (remember, very important: no more than a teaspoon to start) next to the dish of kibble at each meal, then pick it up if it's not eaten.

Don't worry about how long it takes. It takes as long as it takes. You'll get there in the end.

Thank you Catsmom. The good news is both cats like the wet food. I'm going to start with giving less dry and more wet. Fat cat gets small amount of wet and larger amount of dry. New kitten gets more wet food and less dry food. Funny thing is foster mom of kitten had me start on the wet to "fatten" him up since he was underweight. He's a year old and I'm not sure of his weight but he looks healthy. I am giving them both Friskies so I will go look for a better product next time I'm at the store.

I wonder if this theory goes for dogs too? Should I be giving my dog wet food and not dry? Thanks again.

Old 09-15-2019, 01:06 AM

1,704 posts, read 4,544,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmom2000 View Post

Should I be giving my dog wet food and not dry?
Yes.

Old 09-15-2019, 01:59 PM

8,692 posts, read 6,136,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Yes.
Yep.
Dry pet food came about for basically two reasons; it's convenient for humans, and it's cheap to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats