U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 05:04 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,860,462 times

Advertisements

I have a 4 year old female cat... her breed is European Cat, grey colour and since she was sterilized she stopped playing all the time and started to gain weight.

I try to keep her bowl full of water and not giving her a lot of food, but another problem is that I live in an apartment, so she doesn't have a lot of free space to run or stairs to climb.
She is agile because when she wants to, she jumps on the counter or the top of the sofa, but she is generally a lazy cat.

Should I give her a very very small amount of food everyday? I give her 50 grames of food = 0lb 1,76oz

Any advice? I would like her to be slimmer, for her own health.

Her pic: https://www.instagram.com/p/BvkRk5JBHrj/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 08:07 AM

11,108 posts, read 15,611,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I have a 4 year old female cat... her breed is European Cat, grey colour and since she was sterilized she stopped playing all the time and started to gain weight.

I try to keep her bowl full of water and not giving her a lot of food, but another problem is that I live in an apartment, so she doesn't have a lot of free space to run or stairs to climb.
She is agile because when she wants to, she jumps on the counter or the top of the sofa, but she is generally a lazy cat.

Should I give her a very very small amount of food everyday? I give her 50 grames of food = 0lb 1,76oz

Any advice? I would like her to be slimmer, for her own health.

Her pic: https://www.instagram.com/p/BvkRk5JBHrj/

She is very pretty ! I would suggest you make a visit to your veterinarian for his or her advice before doing anything on your own.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:16 AM

1,124 posts, read 401,310 times
Sweet kitty!

I just took my gal to the vet yesterday, and she gained 2 lbs in a year! The vet calculated what her daily caloric intake should be and how we should feed her to help her lose weight. My kitty should be around 9-9.5 lbs, and the vet's recommendation is 200kcal/day to help bring her back into line. So you need to look at the food you are using and calculate appropriate servings by calories and not by weight.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:35 AM

10,705 posts, read 3,228,104 times
What do you feed her?

Old 09-10-2019, 10:37 AM

215 posts, read 40,838 times
She is so pretty!!! We had a „heavy“ cat (14lbs but he was big too) and we monitored his food all his life. For us it eventually works out to feed him 1/2 can a day (1/4 in morning and evening) plus two scoops of grain free kibble (mixed with water). It doesn’t sound like a lot but we got the „good“ kibble which seems more filling. We hardly gave him treats and he refused to play. He rather watched Netflix with us.. :-) the vet always said he should not have more, often he recommended to even slim him further down. There is a new food „Fat Cat“ from natural balance which I read is very low on Calorie. I know some people here are very strongly against dry food. That’s why we always added water(not perfect but in my opinion slightly better and he got used to his „soup“).

Old 09-10-2019, 01:46 PM

16,732 posts, read 14,192,271 times
Feed 9 ounces a day of wet food (3 ounces each feeding, 3 times a day) is my opinion for making her lose weight. If she got an addiction to dry food, wean her off of it slowly, like remove during the day and evening, set out at night so she not bother you, waking you up to get some.

Actively engage with her to get her moving, 10 minute an hour, every two hours, etc. Get catnip, create various toys on strings, lasers, something will get her attention, from there keep going till she tired, lol.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:03 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,860,462 times
I forgot to say that she only likes dry food.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:45 PM

10,705 posts, read 3,228,104 times
Quote:
Well, that there is one of the problems.

Try this:
https://catinfo.org/docs/TipsForTran...ing1-14-11.pdf

Old 09-10-2019, 05:55 PM

14,726 posts, read 45,838,775 times
Get her off the dry food, you can "ween" her off a little at a time. Don't let her stay fat, she can develop diabetes. I had a diabetic cat once, previous owner let him get fat. It's not fun and eventually it becomes almost impossible to control blood sugar.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:23 PM

16,732 posts, read 14,192,271 times
Quote:
Well, well, well, we have found the problem.

Luckily, an easy fix, just prescribe like I stated above or something similar.

Dry food should be a treat, used for say you are going to be out for a while, etc. Some cats are self regulating, others gorge that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats