U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 07:55 PM

4,499 posts, read 7,332,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
For some reason I keep getting mixed whether it's a he or she.

When I got my Husky, I had a 9-5 job, so Husky was alone during the day for fist year, which is when the separation anxiety built up. Combined with boredom, I had to exchange all furniture

I do, definitely want him to be safe and confident - but then again - aren't all cats like that anyway ? Can a cat even have a separation anxiety ? Aren't they just naturally too independent for that ?

Kneading, huh ? Now I know what that word means
Cats can have separation anxiety. They become very attached to their moms and pops. You MIGHT want to consider a playmate about his same age.

As Catsmom says, kitties are very social, they are group critters if they get a chance. I thought they were sort of solitary until we were adopted by a pack, a family of five plus three others who come and go at mealtime.

The biting is affection. Usually they learn pretty quickly what their fragile human's limits are. We had one adoptee, sweet sweet Shelly, who dug her fangs in once or twice with love chews, when I yowled she knew that gentle chews were the order of the day from then on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 09:17 PM

3,300 posts, read 2,117,527 times
Personally, I worry about the safety of the kitten with a Husky, who is already a breed that is prey driven, as catsmom pointed out. I would not bring another kitten into that mix, that he has not yet sorted out. I worry for the kitten that is there now.

Old 09-15-2019, 03:00 AM

395 posts, read 112,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
No, cats are social animals that "independent" thing is a fallacy regarding most cats. And yes, cats can have separation anxiety.
It also doesn't help that from early childhood all the farm cats at home were extremely independent and lived outside with us giving them food every day.
So, those didn't have a chance to build up separation anxiety, as there was no bonding.

But thanks, I really didn't expect cats to have that. One of the common misunderstandings, I guess.

Quote:
You cannot make a kitten live in a cage, that is cruel. Kittens need to be able to run and jump and climb and play. Set up a safe room for when you can't be around. A room, not a cage.
Don't worry, I'm not a cage person. Even though everybody recommended crate training for my Husky I never did that, as I simply cannot fathom locking it up to cage for their whole life.

The transport cage was only temporary measure used few times.

Remember, I only came home with the cat less than 24 hours ago. I'm still figuring out the new life now, hence this post so people can chime in with their experiences.

I've already set up a playroom for the cat - right now it's the bathroom (ensuring she cannot drown), where she has full run of the room with her bed and litter box ( with Husky howling from behind the door).
I go there every hour to play with her, clean her up, take her out - I walk around the house with her on my shoulders, so there's some repeated exposure between the two of them.

Quote:
Keep your dog on a house line to keep the kitten safe, and/or set up gates or screens in door ways.
gates, that's funny Huskies are known for being escape artists, and while I don't mean to brag, mine is crème de la crème in that regard.
Screens ? That's gonna stop her for about 15 seconds. She'll just chew through it.

Cheapest doors from HomeDepot ? She happily chewed through one about a year ago. Yes, a door. I was shocked that time, as I could not figure out how she got out, as I saw the door was still closed. Had to go upstairs to check upclose, when I saw a giant hole in the door

3 months ago, she kicked out the A/C from window, even though it was secured. Luckily, I was around, but then I heard loud banging, as if somebody was breaking something. That was her using her full weight to keep kicking and pushing the A/C, till it fell out. Luckilly, that was just few feet from ground floor, but she got out.

So, a simple gate - that's like a toy for her to jump over

Quote:
in fact if ever, huskies have a strong prey drive

https://www.siberianhuskyvic.org.au/...preydrive.html
Yeah, that's a fact that could not possibly escape me, unfortunately. During 2.75 yrs, I found out the hard way that this term "Prey Drive" encompasses absolutely everything moving.
Squirrels, dogs and cats are obvious. But she will go hunt rabbits, once she almost caught a beaver by the river (that was in Montana, nowhere else could you meet a living beaver, I guess), but thanks to the leash, beaver managed to barely escape back to safety of water.

She actually challenged deers (there was a deer family running around my last place) - to the point, the deer stood up on his hind legs and raised his front ones. Never saw a deer do that, must have been the protective instinct. And not a small one, either - quite a huge one - if it kicked here, she'd die for sure.

Just last week, right in front of my eyes, she caught a mouse. While on leash. She slipped out of her mouth the first time, but second time, there was a loud crack, two gulps, and a very happy smiling Husky

This new place where we just moved in last month, it has a lot of butterflies. Guess what - it's actually possible for a Husky to jump into the air, catch it and eat it. So much for wings

I've started flushing the spiders in the house recently, as they're not doing their job. She catches more flies then them. How is that even possible ? Also, I woke up, twice, on a spider walking all over my face - as much as I appreciate them, that's crossing the line.

Moderator cut: kind of creepy . Are you sure you WANT a cat ?

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-15-2019 at 02:21 PM..

Old 09-15-2019, 03:20 AM

395 posts, read 112,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
The biting is affection. Usually they learn pretty quickly what their fragile human's limits are. We had one adoptee, sweet sweet Shelly, who dug her fangs in once or twice with love chews, when I yowled she knew that gentle chews were the order of the day from then on.
Affection ? Sure didn't feel like that

Quote:
Cats can have separation anxiety. They become very attached to their moms and pops.
I've seen a lot of families with cats. Not a single one had cats that would be a mix of parents+children. Siblings, yes. Never with parents.

Must be a reason for this, no ? Like the sibling rivalry between two huskies - you don't want two of those at home.

Quote:
You MIGHT want to consider a playmate about his same age.
No, because then the cats would gang up on my Husky. I need her to be the Alpha P*ssy of the household. She wouldn't stand a chance against two cats. She's not that strong, mentally. Only physically.

Also, two cats would then hang out together and wouldn't want to play that much with her. That would make her miserable. I've seen that way too many times elsewhere.

Took me almost a year till I selected the proper breed, after a lot of research. While Bengals are definitely a breed that is very high-maintenance, since I work from home, I can attend to their melodramatic behavior (besides, they're not really that melodramatic, huskies are much worse in that regard). And compared to huskies, they're far from destructive.

However, Bengals possess the exact amount of "crazy" that can easily rival the "crazy" of my specific husky.

I can't wait till the kitty gets larger and they start messing around together

Old 09-15-2019, 07:08 AM

6,367 posts, read 13,080,922 times
This is a train wreck waiting to happen. Or a wind up. I'm out.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:58 AM

13,814 posts, read 18,366,452 times
You took an 8-week old kitten which you refer to as "specimen" on a four hour car ride which was a perfect way to expose it to a husky and now it lives in a cage?

Old 09-15-2019, 08:10 AM

52 posts, read 12,696 times
Hmmm, in the blended household I live in, 4 adults, everyone has pets for a total of 16. 6 dogs 10 cats. When you consider separate living quarters over 3600sq’ not crowded at all.

With the exception of 2 Teacup Chihuahuas - 2.2lb &3.5lb , all others were rescues.

The two Huskies, now passed 15yrs, lived with dogs and cats and never hurt a single one. There are pics of the cats as kittens, sleeping on Juno and Arctic.

We are not hoarders, our home is clean, odor free and all 4leggeds receive appropriate medical care inc vaccinations.

While it is true that all dogs and cats are like humans in one respect, they don’t always like one another. James Tiberius Cat is a 10yr old Sphinx recently rescued from a shelter, they do not survive long in shelters, he is the Alpha who keeps Dakota an 80lb Australian Kelpie Alpha dog in line. So you may want your Huskie to be “Top Dog” their dynamic may be different and you can’t change that.

Be patient, calm, calm, calm, firm and you will be on your way to a blended family of your own. You were given very good advice regarding, housing and play toys, you’ll all do just fine.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:51 AM

4,499 posts, read 7,332,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Personally, I worry about the safety of the kitten with a Husky, who is already a breed that is prey driven, as catsmom pointed out. I would not bring another kitten into that mix, that he has not yet sorted out. I worry for the kitten that is there now.
OP needs to make a choice. Dog or cat. Because it seems like it's just a matter of time before the dog catches the cat, kills it and eats it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
It also doesn't help that from early childhood all the farm cats at home were extremely independent and lived outside with us giving them food every day.
So, those didn't have a chance to build up separation anxiety, as there was no bonding.

But thanks, I really didn't expect cats to have that. One of the common misunderstandings, I guess.

Don't worry, I'm not a cage person. Even though everybody recommended crate training for my Husky I never did that, as I simply cannot fathom locking it up to cage for their whole life.

The transport cage was only temporary measure used few times.

Remember, I only came home with the cat less than 24 hours ago. I'm still figuring out the new life now, hence this post so people can chime in with their experiences.

I've already set up a playroom for the cat - right now it's the bathroom (ensuring she cannot drown), where she has full run of the room with her bed and litter box ( with Husky howling from behind the door).
I go there every hour to play with her, clean her up, take her out - I walk around the house with her on my shoulders, so there's some repeated exposure between the two of them.

gates, that's funny Huskies are known for being escape artists, and while I don't mean to brag, mine is crème de la crème in that regard.
Screens ? That's gonna stop her for about 15 seconds. She'll just chew through it.

Cheapest doors from HomeDepot ? She happily chewed through one about a year ago. Yes, a door. I was shocked that time, as I could not figure out how she got out, as I saw the door was still closed. Had to go upstairs to check upclose, when I saw a giant hole in the door

3 months ago, she kicked out the A/C from window, even though it was secured. Luckily, I was around, but then I heard loud banging, as if somebody was breaking something. That was her using her full weight to keep kicking and pushing the A/C, till it fell out. Luckilly, that was just few feet from ground floor, but she got out.

So, a simple gate - that's like a toy for her to jump over

Yeah, that's a fact that could not possibly escape me, unfortunately. During 2.75 yrs, I found out the hard way that this term "Prey Drive" encompasses absolutely everything moving.
Squirrels, dogs and cats are obvious. But she will go hunt rabbits, once she almost caught a beaver by the river (that was in Montana, nowhere else could you meet a living beaver, I guess), but thanks to the leash, beaver managed to barely escape back to safety of water.

She actually challenged deers (there was a deer family running around my last place) - to the point, the deer stood up on his hind legs and raised his front ones. Never saw a deer do that, must have been the protective instinct. And not a small one, either - quite a huge one - if it kicked here, she'd die for sure.

Just last week, right in front of my eyes, she caught a mouse. While on leash. She slipped out of her mouth the first time, but second time, there was a loud crack, two gulps, and a very happy smiling Husky

This new place where we just moved in last month, it has a lot of butterflies. Guess what - it's actually possible for a Husky to jump into the air, catch it and eat it. So much for wings

I've started flushing the spiders in the house recently, as they're not doing their job. She catches more flies then them. How is that even possible ? Also, I woke up, twice, on a spider walking all over my face - as much as I appreciate them, that's crossing the line.

Given the size discrepancy, I figure she'd crunch the cat about twice before just gulping her down. Cat's barely larger than that mouse she ate last week

This last sentence gives me great pause in your motives for getting this kitty. I don't see how a smiley is in any way appropriate to your dog killing and eating your cat. That is just sick.
You should find the cat a new, good home.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:57 AM

6,367 posts, read 13,080,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You took an 8-week old kitten which you refer to as "specimen" on a four hour car ride which was a perfect way to expose it to a husky and now it lives in a cage?

6 hours. Supposedly.

Not to mention no ethical responsible breeder would let a Bengal kitten go at 8 weeks. 12-14 weeks is the standard age for adoption. So he went to a "kitten farm" (same as puppy farm) or backyard breeder for his husky fodder.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:04 AM

13,814 posts, read 18,366,452 times
Quote:
6 hours. Supposedly.

Not to mention no ethical responsible breeder would let a Bengal kitten go at 8 weeks. 12-14 weeks is the standard age for adoption. So he went to a "kitten farm" (same as puppy farm) or backyard breeder for his husky fodder.
I did not see the Bengal. That throws another wrench and I will what I want to say to myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or