U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 10:36 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,246,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
Affection ? Sure didn't feel like that

I've seen a lot of families with cats. Not a single one had cats that would be a mix of parents+children. Siblings, yes. Never with parents.

Must be a reason for this, no ? Like the sibling rivalry between two huskies - you don't want two of those at home.

No, because then the cats would gang up on my Husky. I need her to be the Alpha P*ssy of the household. She wouldn't stand a chance against two cats. She's not that strong, mentally. Only physically.

Also, two cats would then hang out together and wouldn't want to play that much with her. That would make her miserable. I've seen that way too many times elsewhere.

Took me almost a year till I selected the proper breed, after a lot of research. While Bengals are definitely a breed that is very high-maintenance, since I work from home, I can attend to their melodramatic behavior (besides, they're not really that melodramatic, huskies are much worse in that regard). And compared to huskies, they're far from destructive.

However, Bengals possess the exact amount of "crazy" that can easily rival the "crazy" of my specific husky.

I can't wait till the kitty gets larger and they start messing around together
With what you've indicated is your Huskie's high prey drive and her ability to chew through doors, I doubt your cat is going to get much larger at all. I feel very sorry for the cat, as it will end up being a live chew toy for the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 11:02 AM

395 posts, read 112,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You took an 8-week old kitten which you refer to as "specimen" on a four hour car ride which was a perfect way to expose it to a husky and now it lives in a cage?
You clearly didn't read my 1-page explanation.

Or you did, and are just trying to intentionally misrepresent to make yourself feel better. Not sure which one is worse

Because the kitty lived far, so getting her was a long drive. And yes, exposure to Husky worked just as expected. During first hour of drive, my Husky was livid, but by the end of it, accepted it and mostly ignored the kitty.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
OP needs to make a choice. Dog or cat. Because it seems like it's just a matter of time before the dog catches the cat, kills it and eats it.

This last sentence gives me great pause in your motives for getting this kitty. I don't see how a smiley is in any way appropriate to your dog killing and eating your cat. That is just sick.
I was being sarcastic. Bears eat their young, so technically, dog could do the same. It's what nature intended

Unfortunately for all the drama queens of this thread, my Husky has been just licking the kitty during last ~40 hours, during every single opportunity. She clearly wants to play with her, but she's too big for that now.

But to be on the safe side, I will continue to keep the kitty in a separate room, where she's been last 24 hours.

And gradually increase the exposure time between the two.

While I'm writing this, kitty has been sitting on my chest, purring, with Husky sitting next to us.

My sincere apologies for no drama and no "quick snack". Oh, well - tomorrow's another day

Old 09-15-2019, 12:40 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,246,371 times
Quote:
I was being sarcastic. Bears eat their young, so technically, dog could do the same. It's what nature intended

Unfortunately for all the drama queens of this thread, my Husky has been just licking the kitty during last ~40 hours, during every single opportunity. She clearly wants to play with her, but she's too big for that now.

But to be on the safe side, I will continue to keep the kitty in a separate room, where she's been last 24 hours.

And gradually increase the exposure time between the two.

While I'm writing this, kitty has been sitting on my chest, purring, with Husky sitting next to us.

My sincere apologies for no drama and no "quick snack". Oh, well - tomorrow's another day
Oh, quit with snarky "apologies for no drama and no "quick snack". You can't expect to post graphic details about your high prey drive dog like those that in your post #13 coupled with your descriptions of the many doors that the dog chewed through, and then mock posters being concerned about the safety of your kitten.

Old 09-15-2019, 01:41 PM

6,359 posts, read 13,070,537 times
Quote:

What an odd way to twist things around to justify yourself. Doesn't work though. The kitten is not the husky's young. And neither of them are bears.

Whether nature intended huskies to kill kittens, it isn't "natural" in the home, and it isn't "natural" for someone to glorify it.

I still have the feeling you are winding us up, planning your little fun of coming back again to tell us your dog killed your kitten.

If there is a kitten.

Hopefully not.

Last edited by catsmom21; 09-15-2019 at 02:00 PM..

Old 09-15-2019, 01:54 PM

8,690 posts, read 6,134,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Oh, quit with snarky "apologies for no drama and no "quick snack". You can't expect to post graphic details about your high prey drive dog like those that in your post #13 coupled with your descriptions of the many doors that the dog chewed through, and then mock posters being concerned about the safety of your kitten.

That's exactly right. That's where the red flags went up for me as well. OP, you need to realize that most of the regulars here are serious, diehard cat lovers, and your description of what you're doing is quite risky from our point of view. We don't know your dog, that's true, but generally that scenario tends to not work out very well for the cat. That's why you're getting the negative feed back. I'm sorry you didn't get the response you expected, but you posted here for better or worse. Also keep in mind that responses on this thread aren't just for you, but anyone else reading this thread for advice on a similar situation. If we ignore the red flags in your case, it could mean bad advice to someone else at their cat's expense. I sincerely hope you aren't making a mistake that your cat will pay for in the end.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:32 PM

Wow, Incredible progress on Day 2 (despite all the condescending bullies in this thread trying to make themselves feel better):
- kitty stopped hissing at my Husky
- kitty even continues to purr, while in my arms, and Husky licks her

My theory of gradually prolonged exposure, while carefully monitoring the symptoms of both (to know when it's been enough), proved to be correct and yielded first results way before first 48 hours.

Husky is no longer loosing it, and slowly returns to her routine.

As crazy as it sounds, the kitty might actually not end up as a very expensive Organic Dietary Supplement (TM) and will go on to lead a happy life for next ~15 years (as originally intended)

Old 09-16-2019, 02:50 PM

8,690 posts, read 6,134,981 times
That is good progress, and I hope it continues. Big dog & small kitten loving each other isn't uncommon at all (and awfully cute ). Glad your efforts paid off.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:10 PM

4,498 posts, read 7,328,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Accusing others of "drama" when we're concerned that a kitten was apparently obtained as a toy and snack for a dog 50 times his size and weight is NOT about drama. It's concern for a little kitty.
And, BTW, concern for other small beings should said husky get free. Oh look, a 3-year-old in the sandbox! Yum!

I see that a guy in Florida who enjoys torturing fish--and no doubt other critters--caught a shark and dragged it at high speed behind his power boat, by the tail, until it was torn to pieces, he got a very light sentence. IMO five years minimum. Those people are sick enough, and that is where our supply of murderers, torturers, and serial killers comes from. You either respect life or you don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
What an odd way to twist things around to justify yourself. Doesn't work though. The kitten is not the husky's young. And neither of them are bears.

Whether nature intended huskies to kill kittens, it isn't "natural" in the home, and it isn't "natural" for someone to glorify it.

I still have the feeling you are winding us up, planning your little fun of coming back again to tell us your dog killed your kitten.

If there is a kitten.

Hopefully not.
I concur. I hope to God this is an imaginary kitten.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:23 PM

Since I didn't receive any response as to how much love is too much for a small kitty, I figured I'd just go by heart and deal with her being spoiled later on:
- When I'm working on computer, kitty is sitting on my chest, on the left, close to the heart
- Just like with humans, the rhythm of the beating heart soothes them
- Kitty falls asleep instantly

It does not want to be alone, obviously. The moment I put it in a separate room, it screams for attention. Freedom of movement in the room doesn't matter. Right now, it just wants to be in my arms, purring.

So, before falling asleep, I watched TV with kitty on my chest and Husky by my side. After two hours like that, I put her to the cage to be safe right next to me, closed it, and all three of us slept like that, within 10 inches of each other. Not a beep during night. She woke up about twice, mumbled something, saw me, and fell asleep instantly.

So, arguably, cage is actually helpful - kitty is safe, and most importantly is happy. No anxiety.

In the morning (Day 3), kitty actually rolled on her back, and let Husky lick it completely, while stretching and purring. The smell of the kitty is very intense even for me, so for a Husky it must be brutal, hence the constant licking (I presume).

Right now, as I'm typing it, Husky is sleeping by my legs, and kitty is sleeping on my chest - Pure Bliss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or