U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 10:09 PM

10,655 posts, read 3,222,555 times

Advertisements

If you wanted a cat that could keep your dog in its place you shoulda gotten one of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmfVrBT_1xg

BTW, yes I agree with others here that you took it away from its mother too early. If you're lucky that won't lead to behavior issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 10:19 PM

395 posts, read 112,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
especially considering the unfortunate circumstances under which it was obtained.
Unfortunately, you conveniently keep forgetting that the official sources do not deal with "crazy".

Because you spend more money, they only put up "specimen" that are cute, quiet but definitely not "crazy". I've seen them. Show-Room "YouTube/Facebook cats". Thanks, but no thanks.

For me, it's a life commitment, like with my Husky. So, I know exactly what I want and if official places don't handle that, then that's too bad.

It took a lot of time and effort to find a non-spoiled, non-broken-in, below 13 weeks, adequately "crazy" one that will be a great match for my Husky.

And it's not about money. I have a first vet appointment for the kitty on Wednesday, and rough estimate I got over the phone is ~ $500 - $1,000 for the first visit.

Would it be better if she got additional 4 weeks with her mom ? Sure it would, no argument there - however that wasn't up to me.
But, I'm aware of the consequences, her missing skills and will adjust accordingly in the long run.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
If you wanted a cat that could keep your dog in its place you shoulda gotten one of these
Damn, a bobcat
Nah, that wouldn't be fair to my Husky - she wouldn't stand a chance
Also, I didn't mention it, my Husky female is very light, at the bottom of the weight scale for females.

She is constantly mistaken for a puppy. If I go to a doggie park, and there's a male husky next to her, he is usually at least double her size. If there's a really big one, those look like Malamutes next to her

Every day, I walk with my Husky in my arms for couple minutes, so she's not a huge one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
BTW, yes I agree with others here that you took it away from its mother too early. If you're lucky that won't lead to behavior issues.
It's unquestionable that the skills that mother teaches her kittens in last 4 weeks will be missing

But half of those is related to raising their own - and I won't breed it anyway, so that's not an issue.
The other half - well, that's where the "managing expectations" comes in.

Trust me, if I hadn't taken the kitty that day, it would go to somebody else. Because it was a hyper one, kitty stands much better chance with me, who wants exactly that thing.

There's a reason why I keep the kitty 90% of the time on my chest during the day and do very little otherwise - I am trying to make her feel as little anxiety as possible and as much positive emotions as possible. Not that it replaces mother's attachment, no.

I couldn't do that with my Husky, as I was in corporate environment at that time, so was out majority of the day. But, I can now with the kitty.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:54 PM

The Vet has shocked me with his recommendations to not feed the cat with raw meat ("ever !"), but instead to switch to dry food instantly.

When I asked, how could it possibly be a good idea to give it food full of chemicals that can make it survive unspoiled on store shelves for up to a decade, he just said - "it's fine, really". WTF ?

It all made sense when on my departure, I was given a huge "complimentary" bag with dry food. Of course ! Well, hopefully he can handle the medical side of things, even if nutritional side seriously lacks.

Then again, what if some big-pharma offers the vet some "complimentary" benefits to him to push for some unnecessary medical treatment ? Hmmm.....

Kitty is 10 weeks old so I started to complement his wet food with raw chicken meat, cut to tiny pieces. No bones, yet. He really, really enjoyed his first raw meal, making super fun growling voices (like he was talking to the food, or something).

I made the mistake with my Husky, waiting too long while she was a pup, and of course, as expected, she never made the transition to raw meat after 9 months. Longest I made it was seeing her hungry for 3 days (given how stubborn she is, I'm sure she would stay hungry for 3-5 more days easily), I just couldn't handle more, so raw food never happened with my Husky, and I instead cook chicken for her.

But now, that the kitty ate raw meat, of course, Husky had to have that too. I just might be able to switch her to raw food too, thanks to the kitty. For a first time, she ate quite a lot. Will definitely keep on this momentum.

I'm not going to get rid of wet food for another 4-6 months, till the beast fully grows, then it should be much easier to manage the non-protein nutrients missing from the raw meat.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:25 PM

8,697 posts, read 6,140,222 times
Glad you were able to see through the vet's nonsense about dry food. You're doing a good thing for your kitty and the Husky..... and yourself. Good luck to all of you.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Glad you were able to see through the vet's nonsense about dry food. You're doing a good thing for your kitty and the Husky..... and yourself. Good luck to all of you.
I mean, there has been some progress in last decade, with the dry food - at least they can't fill it with so many chemicals that it can stay unspoiled for a decade anymore (just about 1-2 years now). But, it's still basically poison, just a bit less ridiculous amount of it.

Now, of course, there's always an argument that the chicken from supermarket were fed some antibiotics (and some other stuff), but I'm sure we can all agree that compared to the poison soup of the dry food (especially with the artificial colors - that's just pure evil), it's significantly less unhealthy.
Besides, it's not like the "chicken meal" in the dry food is done from organically raised chicken - it's just the cheapest chicken possible (with the antibiotics) anyway.

I suppose the most pure raw meat would be home-grown, like in my own chicken coup, without introducing any chemicals at all. I bought a house recently so it is an option, just not sure about directly butchering chicken on a weekly basis...

My greatest concern right now is that kitty would be ideally still on the milk, (starting week 11 today), so I'm not sure her digestive system is fully equipped with processing raw meat just yet. However, he's been eating wet food for last 2 weeks, so I believe the digestive system was forced to handle the processed meat (and he doesn't have diarrhea anymore too), so hopefully introducing about 15% of daily intake in terms of raw food is fine.

The cohabitation of the two is going very well. Kitty already sleeps tucked against my Husky during day. At night, I still keep him either in separate room or sleeping with us in the bed (but he is in his cage), on his favorite plush blanket.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:30 PM

10,655 posts, read 3,222,555 times
Well, if the cat likes raw meat and the dog doesn't, at least you'll never have the problem of the dog eating the cat's food.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:56 PM

13,814 posts, read 18,363,413 times
Raw feeding a tiny kitten or a cat for that does not mean cutting up a piece of chicken!

Old 09-28-2019, 12:59 PM

10,734 posts, read 8,723,883 times
I don't mean this critically, but you seem to still be alternating referring to your new kitty as "she" or "he".

So here's a suggestion: determine if your kitten is male or female - then give it a gender specific name that is clearly male, or clearly female. Just match the name's gender with that of the kitten! Use the name to call the kitten to enjoyable activities - cuddling, snack time, playtime, etc. You may also want to teach the kitten to respond to the classic "Here, kitty, kitty, kitty".

Cuddling the kitten is fine - the treading motion of its front paws is commonly referred to as "making biscuits", and it's a carry-over from kneading mama cat's milkbar to increase flow. So you are presently the stand-in for Mama. The kneading action is likely to continue into and throughout adulthood, and it is completely normal. Cats often knead when they are content and sleepy.

There is a great website, complete with live cameras, of a Canadian rescue group which has found wonderful forever homes for hundreds of cats and kittens, and which cares for several feral and semi-feral colonies via feeding stations plus trap/neuter/release: see tinykittens.com. Lots of great info about caring for young kittens is included.

Your public library will also have books on cat and kitten care and development.

Since your kitten no longer has its siblings and your dog is not yet an appropriate playmate, you will need to fill in, with appropriate kitten-toys and interaction. The sharp biting may be due to teething issues - you can look forward to teething continuing for several months, but you can discourage the hand-biting. Make sure the kitten has something safe to play with that is designed for biting.

I hope you and kitty will have many wonderful years ahead.

Old 09-28-2019, 01:04 PM

10,734 posts, read 8,723,883 times
Re feeding the kitten: there are many kitten foods specifically formulated for young kittens. Avoid cow's milk, as it is usually undigestible by kittens. Make sure the kitten has free access to water at all times. Frequent meals are best at present - a healthy adult cat usually does well with two meals per day. Moist canned kitten food may be best for the time being. Don't overconcern yourself about additives now, particularly in kitten food, which is designed specifically for the needs of rapidly growing kittens - however, if your cat is male, you eventually may want to keep an eye on excessive protein in dry foods when he is grown (do get him neutered, of course) as this can exacerbate urinary tract issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or