Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 02:26 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,518,220 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure why anyone is asking if there's such a thing as "too much love." I don't think it's possible to give anything "too much" love!

How about a pic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 02:58 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
Yeah, that's a fact that could not possibly escape me, unfortunately. During 2.75 yrs, I found out the hard way that this term "Prey Drive" encompasses absolutely everything moving.
Squirrels, dogs and cats are obvious. But she will go hunt rabbits, once she almost caught a beaver by the river (that was in Montana, nowhere else could you meet a living beaver, I guess), but thanks to the leash, beaver managed to barely escape back to safety of water.
I cannot believe any reputable, legitimate organization let you adopt an 8-week-old kitten when you have a husky at home. Normally you CAN'T adopt kittens until they are at least 12 weeks old. WHERE did you get the kitten, that you called a "specimen"?

Your "joke" about your new kitten being a SNACK for your dog was DISGUSTING. If you can't see that, OP, you are a troll or totally insane. The moderator actually deleted what you wrote because it was so creepy and horrendous, but someone else quoted you so I saw it.

Quote:
Wow, Incredible progress on Day 2 (despite all the condescending bullies in this thread trying to make themselves feel better):
- kitty stopped hissing at my Husky
- kitty even continues to purr, while in my arms, and Husky licks her
"Condescending bullies"? If you seriously do not see how you are coming across to the CAT LOVERS in the CAT FORUM, you are delusional.

And yet you made ANOTHER sick "joke" about your kitty being DOG FOOD:

Quote:
As crazy as it sounds, the kitty might actually not end up as a very expensive Organic Dietary Supplement (TM) and will go on to lead a happy life for next ~15 years (as originally intended)
You should be banned from the CATS forum forever. I feel so, so, so sorry for your kitten.

(And just a few months ago, you said you weren't a fan of cats: http://www.city-data.com/forum/55215652-post44.html . WHY ON EARTH did you adopt an 8-week-old kitten?)

Old 09-16-2019, 03:11 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I cannot believe any reputable, legitimate organization let you adopt an 8-week-old kitten when you have a husky at home. Normally you CAN'T adopt kittens until they are at least 12 weeks old. WHERE did you get the kitten, that you called a "specimen"?

Your "joke" about your new kitten being a SNACK for your dog was DISGUSTING. If you can't see that, OP, you are a troll or totally insane. The moderator actually deleted what you wrote because it was so creepy and horrendous, but someone else quoted you so I saw it.

"Condescending bullies"? If you seriously do not see how you are coming across to the CAT LOVERS in the CAT FORUM, you are delusional.

You should be banned from the CATS forum forever. I feel so, so, so sorry for your kitten.

(And just a few months ago, you said you weren't a fan of cats: http://www.city-data.com/forum/55215652-post44.html . WHY ON EARTH did you adopt an 8-week-old kitten?)

I agree. Of course if he bought the kitten from a kitten mill or back yard breeder, they don't give a darn what happens to their kittens, that's why they sell them at 8 weeks, so they make a profit.

However I've seen a lot of wind ups in my time. This one stinks to high heaven.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:15 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
He should be banned from the Cats forum, imho. Ms Karen found the words I could not.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:56 PM

575 posts, read 338,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I'm not sure why anyone is asking if there's such a thing as "too much love." I don't think it's possible to give anything "too much" love!
Because I don't want to spoil it too much. Isn't separation anxiety a direct symptom of too much attachment ? Animal should be able to be happy by itself, no ? Isn't that the best life for them ? Anxiety sucks, regardless of species.

Despite my brutal sarcasms (aimed at those sick sociopaths), I really want the kitty to have happiest life possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
How about a pic?
Picture ? Why ? It's just a tiny Bengal cat. It's hardly 10% as cute as, say, Husky puppy.

Can you even attach a picture on these forums ? Last time I tried, you had to upload it to some public image sharing service. I suspect ads here don't pay for additional bandwidth...

Or did that change recently and you can actually upload a file straight from your PC?

Old 09-16-2019, 04:59 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,518,220 times
It's really easy to upload a pic as an attachment. I do it all the time.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:34 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Because I don't want to spoil it too much. Isn't separation anxiety a direct symptom of too much attachment ? Animal should be able to be happy by itself, no ? Isn't that the best life for them ? Anxiety sucks, regardless of species.

Despite my brutal sarcasms (aimed at those sick sociopaths), I really want the kitty to have happiest life possible.

Picture ? Why ? It's just a tiny Bengal cat. It's hardly 10% as cute as, say, Husky puppy.

Can you even attach a picture on these forums ? Last time I tried, you had to upload it to some public image sharing service. I suspect ads here don't pay for additional bandwidth...

Or did that change recently and you can actually upload a file straight from your PC?

No. You don't "spoil" a kitten by giving him attention and love and care, as I said in my very first post to you. It's what normal loving pet owners do, they love and care for and give attention to their cats.

When you ignore their cries and needs is when you set up anxiety. Cats who have their needs met develop into confident adult cats.

Of course fake kittens that you try to wind up a forum with...you can do anything you want with since you make him/it/her all up in your head.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:45 PM

575 posts, read 338,719 times
Quote:
I speak 5 languages fluently, so perhaps I misinterpreted the word specimen [in English], but I've seen this word used many times when you bring small animal home, by people with American accent. And I don't think it was meant as a sarcasm. It's possible there's a nuance involved that escaped me.

How many languages do you speak except English that you feel the need to take the higher ground here ?

Oh, and the kitten is from a backyard breeder, hence the 8 weeks (not ideal, I know).

Quote:
Thank you for acknowledging the strength of that particular sarcasm. Took me, like, 15 minutes to come up with something that strong.

I didn't want to engage in a futile attempt to "argue" with the sociopath I was responding to, as I can smell them from 10 miles now. They will twist, misdirect and victim-blame left and right. It's a waste of breath to attempt to reason with them.

Hence, the brutal sarcasm. I apologize if it hit others, that was not an intent, though now that I think about it, there's probably 10x more people reading the thread than responding.

That's the thing with sociopaths, they only leave destruction in their wake (whether direct or indirect).

Quote:
Come on, that over-the-top sarcasm was approaching the level of "Saturday Night Live"

Quote:
You should be banned from the CATS forum forever.
Honestly, wouldn't be much loss, considering the "advice" I received here so far.

Quote:
I'm not a fan of cats, of course - they're very, very stupid&selfish compared to even simple dogs (let alone Huskies), but I watched a lot of YT videos on cats&dogs where people shared their experience and figured that it would actually work really well for my life situation, temperament of my Husky, working from home and closely managing the interaction between the two quad-pedals.

As much as I'd love to have another dog, I can't be so selfish and do that to my Husky. She is a miracle from God, so she cannot ever feel threatened in her standing by another dog. But a cat can provide some additional animal companionship to her (with her Alpha P*ssy Status unchallenged), and hopefully some play-time (once kitty is big enough, in 3-6 months).

I understand most cats will provide companionship to humans strictly on their terms, so I don't expect the cat to do that. But, I'm hoping, that the first few weeks of her life in her new home, spending all her time lying on me (this is news to me - didn't really expect that behavior), will make her want that closeness also once she grows up. We'll see.

Regardless, my emotional needs are secondary to my Husky's needs.

Quote:
I feel so, so, so sorry for your kitten.
Yes, you should. After all, she spends 90% of the day lying on me, purring, being pet and generally very happy. On the third day I can already distinguish between her various sounds - whether she means food, play, potty or companionship.

That slowly-forming Bond between us, that's absolutely abhorrent, I know !

Damn, I just came up with another over-the-top one-liner (involving Husky's favorite bacon gravy), but I'm gonna hold back and not post it, as it would indirectly offend others...

Old 09-16-2019, 05:48 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:

Not so much of an issue with cats. They are different from dogs in that regard. With rare exceptions, most cats do just fine on their own during working hours when their humans are away. It's always good to have another creature in the home with the cat, as long as they get along well that is. I doubt that you will see a correlation to the amount of attention you give the cat, compared to any (probably none) anxiety the cat may have when you're gone.

So do we. And calling names (both ways folks) isn't very productive.

I can't tell if you were serious with that comment, or just trying to push peoples buttons. But if you seriously think that an 8 week old kitten isn't very cute, then why did you get a cat in the first place. They are obviously a lesser choice of a pet in your opinion. It's comments like that that make people here have concern for the cats well being. And it is indeed more than "just a tiny Bengal cat", and again is a comment that seems to say you don't care much for it.
Most cat lovers here are quite proud to post pictures of their cats, and wouldn't have to ask "why".

Old 09-16-2019, 05:50 PM

24,471 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:

Just a tiny Bengal cat. Yes, it is an infant taken away from mother ways too early for the socalled breeder to make a buck and you to be able to bragg.

We have one of those. Second hand - was cute, then declawed, thrown out when the vet apparently refused to pull her fangs.

Terradown has a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats