U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 12:33 PM

11,102 posts, read 15,601,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiemohro View Post
Will move to the bathroom tonight. I wanted keep it close so she finds it ;-)
Feeling slightly better this morning .... and if she stays (she is on foster) I don’t mind spending money for the best stuff out there. I read a lot of positive about Dr elseys but I didn’t have time to get to the pet store. Probably a mistake ....
Yes, thx. You would be amazed at how fine tuned the kittys' sense of smell is. Once they have their 'home' and 'people' identified by scent, it stays with them forever. Please don't give up on her, even if she is a foster. She deserves a good home like yours, and plenty of patience and love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
She currently gets grain free wet food and Costco dry. If we keep her I will change her diet and take her off the Costco dry. I think it has tons of grains in it. Maybe I should consider a change Earlier.

VERY little dry food, no matter whose name is on the bag ---- word to the wise: it is not good for them at all.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:07 PM

10,614 posts, read 3,209,885 times
Quote:
We got a rescue cat and I am generally allergic to most cats. She has some Russian blue in her (she is a street cat, but she looks like one). We started with paper litter from the old cat but she is digging like crazy, so it’s not a solution. I bought the unscented fresh step, which clumps perfect. As she just moved in, we have the litter box in the bedroom close to her.

Today, 3 nights after we started using fresh step, I got a tight chest. And I am not sure if it’s her or the litter. When she is cuddling and is all over my face, my eyes don’t itch and my nose is not congested. I seem ok besides that tight chest. It even didn’t get better after I went to work all day and normally, if it’s allergy, I think it should get better. Now my ears kind of hurt too.

I started reading about clumping litter and some say it’s a substance that can expand when you breath it in and the dust gets moist. Cat or litter? Any experience? I don’t want to give her away. And in the meantime I switched back to paper pallets.
Dump the Fresh Step. Clay cat litter dust contains a known carcinogen.

Look for some grass seed cat litter. It clumps better than clay, is basically dust-free and is also organic (or at least mostly organic ;-) ). I discovered it a year or two ago and am pissed off at myself for not discovering it earlier.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:08 PM

2,439 posts, read 2,237,476 times
Quote:
She currently gets grain free wet food and Costco dry. If we keep her I will change her diet and take her off the Costco dry. I think it has tons of grains in it. Maybe I should consider a change Earlier.
I urge you to ditch the dry and just feed the wet. Much healthier for her.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:17 PM

215 posts, read 40,348 times
So upset I bought this litter. I Just vacuumed the bedroom. Litter everywhere! Even in our bed. Paper pellets it is for now. We had once the pines or something similar and it worked well. I completely forgot how bad the supermarket stuff is.

And yes, the plan is to not feed dry food but I didn’t want to change all at the same day. It’s a process but I am lucky that she loves wet food.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:19 PM

3,623 posts, read 1,540,858 times
Quote:
So upset I bought this litter. I Just vacuumed the bedroom. Litter everywhere! Even in our bed. Paper pellets it is for now. We had once the pines or something similar and it worked well. I completely forgot how bad the supermarket stuff is.

And yes, the plan is to not feed dry food but I didn’t want to change all at the same day. It’s a process but I am lucky that she loves wet food.
I'd go slow on changing the food if you're not sure about keeping her.

Feline pine might be the litter brand you had.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:

What litter ????

Please ! do not keep a litter box in your bedroom. Especially an open box. If you can afford one (about $40) please get the large litter box with a snap in dome cover and put it 'somewhere'.

The kitty will find it, no problem.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:36 PM

215 posts, read 40,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
What litter ????

Please ! do not keep a litter box in your bedroom. Especially an open box. If you can afford one (about $40) please get the large litter box with a snap in dome cover and put it 'somewhere'.

The kitty will find it, no problem.
Fresh step. Big mistake as super dusty. We got her today a larger and higher box and “grass litter”. Let’s see how it works. The box is back in the bathroom where we had it for years and it was never a problem.

Old 09-22-2019, 05:42 PM

10,614 posts, read 3,209,885 times
Quote:
Fresh step. Big mistake as super dusty. We got her today a larger and higher box and “grass litter”. Let’s see how it works. The box is back in the bathroom where we had it for years and it was never a problem.
Great job!!

Old 09-23-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Ahhh, let's hope the problem is resolved. Give it a good two weeks for kitty to get acclimated, she will. Hopefully you will both be happy campers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or