U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 08:04 PM

215 posts, read 40,838 times

Advertisements

We got a rescue cat and I am generally allergic to most cats. She has some Russian blue in her (she is a street cat, but she looks like one). We started with paper litter from the old cat but she is digging like crazy, so it’s not a solution. I bought the unscented fresh step, which clumps perfect. As she just moved in, we have the litter box in the bedroom close to her.

Today, 3 nights after we started using fresh step, I got a tight chest. And I am not sure if it’s her or the litter. When she is cuddling and is all over my face, my eyes don’t itch and my nose is not congested. I seem ok besides that tight chest. It even didn’t get better after I went to work all day and normally, if it’s allergy, I think it should get better. Now my ears kind of hurt too.

I started reading about clumping litter and some say it’s a substance that can expand when you breath it in and the dust gets moist. Cat or litter? Any experience? I don’t want to give her away. And in the meantime I switched back to paper pallets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 08:06 PM

6,020 posts, read 4,406,271 times
Go see a doctor if the tightness doesn't go away. It could be heart related and nothing to do with cat litter.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:31 PM

4,165 posts, read 1,836,204 times
Tightness definitely needs to be checked out for other causes. I will say that I bought the same liter for a year and half. Then I suddenly became ill and chest tightness was one of the symptoms. What I remember about the litter at that time was that it was very dusty, very unlike past litters from the same brand. After many tests later, doctors concluded allergies, of course to cats, and stress. But get checked out. I had many tests done.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Tightness definitely needs to be checked out for other causes. I will say that I bought the same liter for a year and half. Then I suddenly became ill and chest tightness was one of the symptoms. What I remember about the litter at that time was that it was very dusty, very unlike past litters from the same brand. After many tests later, doctors concluded allergies, of course to cats, and stress. But get checked out. I had many tests done.
Interesting! And yes if it’s continues I will see a doctor. Definitely nothing to be casual about. I hope it’s better in the morning.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:39 AM

11,108 posts, read 15,611,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiemohro View Post
We got a rescue cat and I am generally allergic to most cats. She has some Russian blue in her (she is a street cat, but she looks like one). We started with paper litter from the old cat but she is digging like crazy, so it’s not a solution. I bought the unscented fresh step, which clumps perfect. As she just moved in, we have the litter box in the bedroom close to her.

Today, 3 nights after we started using fresh step, I got a tight chest. And I am not sure if it’s her or the litter. When she is cuddling and is all over my face, my eyes don’t itch and my nose is not congested. I seem ok besides that tight chest. It even didn’t get better after I went to work all day and normally, if it’s allergy, I think it should get better. Now my ears kind of hurt too.

I started reading about clumping litter and some say it’s a substance that can expand when you breath it in and the dust gets moist. Cat or litter? Any experience? I don’t want to give her away. And in the meantime I switched back to paper pallets.

Please, spend a few dollars more, and get some Dr. Elsey's Cat Litter. Sold in pet stores, not supermarket brand. Put enough litter in her box, 3" or so and clean it religiously twice a day at a minimum.

And ... regardless of what litter you get, and regardless if she is a former street cat: please don't keep her litter in your bedroom. Cats know exactly where their box is once you show them.

Best wishes .... and talk to your vet..

Old 09-20-2019, 08:15 AM

Will move to the bathroom tonight. I wanted keep it close so she finds it ;-)
Feeling slightly better this morning .... and if she stays (she is on foster) I don’t mind spending money for the best stuff out there. I read a lot of positive about Dr elseys but I didn’t have time to get to the pet store. Probably a mistake ....

Old 09-20-2019, 10:07 AM

2,439 posts, read 2,240,901 times
You may want to try a natural based litter instead, like Swheat Scoop or The World's Best cat litter. ITA with others in seeing a doctor if your symptoms don't improve.

Old 09-20-2019, 10:29 AM

1,242 posts, read 682,775 times
Or try the Tidy Cats Breeze system — it uses hard pellets that don't dust at all and don't track, and a pee pad underneath. I get about 1 week per pad for one cat.

As an aside, I figured out that I'm allergic to cats that are fed GMO corn. Once they are taken off the corn, my allergy symptoms disappear.

The cat I have now was given up by her former family because the children became allergic to her. When I got her she was being fed kibble with GMO corn. My symptoms, which had laid dormant for 20+ years, flared up. I switched her to a corn-free food and my symptoms went away. I wonder how many kitties are given up due to allergies when it might just be something in the food they're eating.

Old 09-20-2019, 10:39 AM

32,847 posts, read 60,973,754 times
I'm allergic to cats and find myself wheezing a little more when I'm disturbing the litter box. Fortunately, it resolves itself after a few minutes of leaving the basement. I've been using Tidy Cats lightweight unscented litter, and am going to switch back to Dr. Elsey's because the Tidy Cats is just too dusty.

Interesting observation about the corn in cats' food. My cat eats a grain-free kibble, but her wet food is Fancy Feast (she won't eat anything else - *sigh*).

Old 09-20-2019, 11:16 AM

She currently gets grain free wet food and Costco dry. If we keep her I will change her diet and take her off the Costco dry. I think it has tons of grains in it. Maybe I should consider a change Earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or