U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2019, 03:04 PM

4,311 posts, read 2,253,763 times

Advertisements

My 13 year old tabby, Muffin, has got pain issues due to her legs. She tore her left rear ACL some years ago and just this Monday morning started limping badly on her right rear leg. I think she jumped badly off the living room chair she liked to sleep in. She's wobbling a lot when she walks now. X-rays show a luxating patella on her right leg. She also has dwarfed front legs so she's always been off-set in her walk. Anyway, I gave her pain meds for three days that worked well, but she can't take them long-term because bloodwork shows she's also in beginning renal failure. We have an old-fashioned pharmacy in town that will compound meds and they will make kitty treats with gabapention in a chicken flavor. Has anyone else had any experience using it for their cat? I personally used gabapention for several years for chronic pain and it made me fuzzy-headed (but didn't touch the pain) so I hope it works better for Muffin. I hate to see her hurting, although she's still feisty with the other cats. She's also going to start eating Royal Canin prescription food for the renal failure, although she was only eating wet food already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 07:39 PM

6,367 posts, read 13,080,922 times
Yes, my cat was prescribed gabapentin when she was diagnosed with colon cancer. She was on a liquid solution, 25 mg every 8 hours. The medication made an obvious difference with her first few doses but only seemed to last about 5 hours. However after being on it for a few days, I started to notice the benefit lasted the full 8 hours.

The gabapentin did not make her drowsy or stoned.

A week later she began taking piroxicam which, along with the gabapentin has been found to be better at controlling pain and slowing the growth, for her kind of cancer (as opposed to steroids). I know you said your cat is showing early stage CKD, so would not be a good candidate for this class of med. (metacam, meloxicam, piroxicam)

I don't believe in casual use of metacam class drugs in cats, only last resort situations, which of course was the case with my cat with cancer, as it was palliative treatments only for her, no hope of recovery. (A few months later she needed stronger drugs and I added buprenorphine)

If you are going to feed the kidney diet, of course feed wet only, and I wouldn't advise you feeding it exclusively. Those diets typically rely on reducing protein, which is old fashioned and been proven to not be what is needed. Cats still need adequate protein in their diets, it's the phosphorus that needs to be reduced, usually. I would look into a phos binder, rather than feed those type of diets. They are just such poor quality, and reduced protein leads to muscle wasting, something that would be disastrous for your cat, with her problems already..

Read up on supplementing with niacinamide rather than reducing protein.

I did see one discussion recently where someone said one of the RC kidney diets did not have reduced protein. Perhaps that is the one you are using? Still..they are just so..subpar.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:41 PM

4,355 posts, read 4,298,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Yes, my cat was prescribed gabapentin when she was diagnosed with colon cancer. She was on a liquid solution, 25 mg every 8 hours. The medication made an obvious difference with her first few doses but only seemed to last about 5 hours. However after being on it for a few days, I started to notice the benefit lasted the full 8 hours.

The gabapentin did not make her drowsy or stoned.

A week later she began taking piroxicam which, along with the gabapentin has been found to be better at controlling pain and slowing the growth, for her kind of cancer (as opposed to steroids). I know you said your cat is showing early stage CKD, so would not be a good candidate for this class of med. (metacam, meloxicam, piroxicam)

I don't believe in casual use of metacam class drugs in cats, only last resort situations, which of course was the case with my cat with cancer, as it was palliative treatments only for her, no hope of recovery. (A few months later she needed stronger drugs and I added buprenorphine)

If you are going to feed the kidney diet, of course feed wet only, and I wouldn't advise you feeding it exclusively. Those diets typically rely on reducing protein, which is old fashioned and been proven to not be what is needed. Cats still need adequate protein in their diets, it's the phosphorus that needs to be reduced, usually. I would look into a phos binder, rather than feed those type of diets. They are just such poor quality, and reduced protein leads to muscle wasting, something that would be disastrous for your cat, with her problems already..

Read up on supplementing with niacinamide rather than reducing protein.

I did see one discussion recently where someone said one of the RC kidney diets did not have reduced protein. Perhaps that is the one you are using? Still..they are just so..subpar.
If ANYONE knows their STUFF for KITTIES! -- it is YOU!

Can't rep ya so best I can do is flatter u!

Astounds me you're not paid to give advice

Used in human psychiatry often as a calm down of mania or anxiety. G/f tried it back in late 90s when anticonvulsants were used liberally to attempt to slow down manic symptoms in Bipolars. It is a GABA analog & so it theoretically has a calming effect (in ppl) via increases in 'calmdown' GABA, & thus causes less sensitivity to receptors receiving firing/pain signals via this looping cascade.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:13 AM

2,439 posts, read 2,240,901 times
Yes, our Benny (19), has been on a low-dose gabapentin for about a year for arthritis pain. He gets 10 mg every 12 hours in a capsule form. It has helped him greatly and with no side affects that we can see. The only negative is that, since it's compounded by a local pet pharmacy, it's not cheap, about $50 per month.

But we love him and want his life to be as comfortable as possible, so it's worth it to us.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:26 AM

4,311 posts, read 2,253,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Yes, our Benny (19), has been on a low-dose gabapentin for about a year for arthritis pain. He gets 10 mg every 12 hours in a capsule form. It has helped him greatly and with no side affects that we can see. The only negative is that, since it's compounded by a local pet pharmacy, it's not cheap, about $50 per month.

But we love him and want his life to be as comfortable as possible, so it's worth it to us.
Thanks Rene. That's the kind of input I was seeking. I know Muffin's back legs are not going to improve any with age, although she is walking better this week than last, but I just want her to be as comfortable as possible. She will be getting gabapentin chicken-flavored "treats" compounded by the antique pharmacy downtown. Whatever they cost will be worth it if it helps with her pain. Thanks again!

Old 10-09-2019, 12:55 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,205,955 times
I'm late to the party but here's my input. I've never used gabapentin for my cats but I have used it on a horse with Equine Motor Neuron Disease - the horsey equivalent of ALS/Lou Gehrig's. He also had Cauda Equina which effects the nerve bundle at the root of the tail. He was in considerable discomfort in his rear legs/hips from the widespread effects of the Cauda Equina (also something people get). Otherwise he was able to be a pasture pet as he could eat, drink, and hang out with his buddies for awhile, until the Motor Neuron Disease became too disabling and he was put down.

But the gabapentin gave him many more months of comfort than he would have had without it. We tried a number of the typical veterinary pain meds without success prior to the gabapentin. It was so worth it. Because of his size I was able to use human gabapentin capsules and mix them into his feed so not the challenge of dosing a cat! I could get those at Costco so the price wasn't all that terrible - can't remember now, but it wasn't overwhelming for my budget. It did make him a bit subdued but since he wasn't being ridden, obviously, it wasn't a problem.

Best of luck with your girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats