Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 12:31 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times

Advertisements

My sweet kitty, Buttons, is about 15 years old. He gets vet checkups 2x year and has no medical problems.

Just recently (in the last two weeks that I know of), he's been caught peeing in various places in the house. I caught him going in a corner, then on some towels on the bathroom floor. We have three cats, and four litter boxes in the garage. The boxes are always kept clean. Buttons has always been a clean cat, with no problems like this. He does go outside, and I assume he "goes" outside, as well as inside in the litter box. Oh, and of course, he's been neutered (long ago).

Tonight I caught him assuming the "position in a corner. I caught him before he went, and took him to the garage to his litter box. He acted afraid of it and ran back inside I realized he was in distress with a full bladder, so I gave him a clean towel on the bathroom floor, which he readily used. I realize I am just "training" him to go on the floor, but poor baby had to go somewhere! After he was thus relieved, he came and joined us on the sofa in the living room, but he wouldn't join us before that. I guess he held his bladder as long as he could then tried to find a place to go!

My concern, of course, is, what is the matter? I plan to take him to the Vet first thing Monday, but what can I do over the weekend?

The only change around here that I can associate with his behavior is that about two weeks ago we "lost" our doggie. That is, she is our daughter's dog, but has lived with us almost two years. My daughter got a house and wanted her dog back. Well, Sophie (the dog), is a playful 2-year old dog who seems to love Buttons, but he just tolerates her. Sophie will cry at the door when Buttons is outside and wants inside. She licks poor Buttons to death until Buttons finally puts up his paw "enough". They never growl or hiss at each other. I never felt they were especially bonded, but perhaps I misjudged. Perhaps Buttons misses Sophie?

BTW, when Buttons went on a towel in the bathroom, it was a white towel, and everything appeared normal. Light yellow, no blood or pus I could see, no "excessive" quantity, just normal to the eye.

Any ideas, fellow cat parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 03:58 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times
Poor Buttons! The behavior you describe seems to be relative to a kind of fear or aversion to the litter box. The fear may be of pain felt while in the litter box. This could be due to a urinary tract infection, crystals, stones or anything along that line. Possibly even arthritis if he’s 15. He associated it with that box, since that’s when he’s feeling it.

If that’s the case, there’s really nothing you can do until you go to the vet. At least you got the peeing contained to a towel in the bathroom! There may be some retraining involved after the problem is solved. Maybe after that a new box will fool him into thinking it’s safe to pee in that one pain free.

Just my guess from a similar experience.

Last edited by RbccL; 10-05-2019 at 04:31 AM..

Old 10-05-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Poor Buttons! The behavior you describe seems to be relative to a kind of fear or aversion to the litter box. The fear may be of pain felt while in the litter box. This could be due to a urinary tract infection, crystals, stones or anything along that line. Possibly even arthritis if he’s 15. He associated it with that box, since that’s when he’s feeling it.

If that’s the case, there’s really nothing you can do until you go to the vet. At least you got the peeing contained to a towel in the bathroom! There may be some retraining involved after the problem is solved. Maybe after that a new box will fool him into thinking it’s safe to pee in that one pain free.

Just my guess from a similar experience.

This all seems like good advice!

In playing "detective" I realized Buttons water intake has decreased. Like I said, we have three cats. Buttons had his own water bowl (in addition to the community water bowl). His bowl was on my desk, which was next to the bed. He would drink from there frequently. Well, we re-arranged the furniture, and took away his water dish! My desk is now in another room. He has a water dish there, but he doesn't seem to use it as much.

Perhaps this change in routine has resulted in less water intake, which could lead to urinary tract problems. I can try putting another stand next to my bed for a water dish. He used to drink from "his" bowl frequently during the night.

Also we can check into a low-entry litter box, but it won't be of much use until whatever problems he has are taken care of.

Meanwhile we continue to keep a close watch for problems that might require an ER visit.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:03 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times
I'd go asap Moday to a vet. It may be kidney related & pain or time is of the essence if so.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:19 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
I would put a litter box in the house for him. The aversion could be happening from pain, but since he peed freely on the towel when you brought him back in it does seem more like something happened out there that frightened him.

It may be one of the other cats has been bullying him at the litter boxes. (I have just recently had experience with this myself)

I wouldn't put off the vet trip though, at his age things can change so quickly, and the fact that he used the towel (a soft thing) could indicate pain when peeing after all

Still, I would go ahead and put in a litter box where he has been habitually peeing inside. It must be very distressing for him to have to pee in the house without a box. It was lovely of you to give him the towel.

Old 10-06-2019, 01:47 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
UTI.
To your vet as soon as you can.

Old 10-06-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
UTI.
To your vet as soon as you can.
Going first thing tomorrow! Although we've been watching him carefully, and he doesn't show any further signs of distress. But, as we well know, cats are master of deceit, especially when it comes to pain.

Old 10-06-2019, 06:32 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Going first thing tomorrow! Although we've been watching him carefully, and he doesn't show any further signs of distress. But, as we well know, cats are master of deceit, especially when it comes to pain.
well said & ya followup for peace of mind as well.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:10 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I would put a litter box in the house for him. The aversion could be happening from pain, but since he peed freely on the towel when you brought him back in it does seem more like something happened out there that frightened him.
^^^ This. Of course, ITA that he needs a check up to rule out medical issues, which he may indeed have. But, it's also possible that you may need to leave a box in the house for him because something happened in the garage that frightened him. He's also an older guy and may not always be able to make it to the box on time.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:22 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Please update us if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats