U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 06:07 AM

478 posts, read 321,712 times

Advertisements

We have two male cats, one is just over 2 years old, the other is 6 months older than him. Both are fixed. The older one will pee in our downstairs bathtub very randomly, maybe once or twice a month. He doesn't spray, he pops a squat and pees like he is in the litter box. It isn't a huge deal, we just rinse out the tub (we never use it for bathing). But we would like to know why he is doing it. He uses one of three litter boxes they have regularly, and doesn't go anywhere else in the house. One fact, we had his litter box in the tub for the first few days we had him.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 06:11 AM

6,367 posts, read 13,080,922 times
Are the three boxes all in the same place, together?

Given that the tub was the first place he toileted in your house, I suspect he simply has claimed it as his own personal toilet spot.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Are the three boxes all in the same place, together?

Given that the tub was the first place he toileted in your house, I suspect he simply has claimed it as his own personal toilet spot.
Yes.

But why doesn't he do it all the time? It is very random. Sometimes weeks go between him doing it. And he doesn't go #2

Old 10-08-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakley7677 View Post
Yes.

But why doesn't he do it all the time? It is very random. Sometimes weeks go between him doing it. And he doesn't go #2
Well it's often difficult to know the why of anything a cat does . But this is what might be happening:

Cats are prey animals as well as predators. It is instinctive for them to not always toilet in the same place. This is one of the reasons it is always recommended to have at least two litter boxes for one cat, and for multiple cats, one box per cat plus art least one.

So he may be hardwired to change up his toilet spot periodically.

Another possibility is if the younger cat is doing a bit of litter box bullying. If he heads to the boxes and Younger Cat is sitting there blocking access. This is more common than you might think, and why often it is recommended to have the litter boxes not all in the same place.

It's also possible he's being picky. Say the box he wants to use has a pee or poop already in it. Even if the other two boxes are pristine, if he wanted THAT particular box, and it's used, he simply goes to his "other toilet". I had one like that, a red boy. If I was home he would howl the house down if there was pee in a box he wanted, even if all the others were clean. I would hurry down and scoop it out and then (you saw this coming I bet) go use one of the others after all. He just didn't want that pee there.

Cats can be funny about their toilet spaces.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:14 PM

One more thought before I go back to work. It may be a stress/comfort thing. He remembers that bathroom as his first safe place in the home. If he's feeling stressed for whatever reason, he may find it comforting to return to that spot for a pee. And of course that could tie in with any of the other scenarios as well.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:17 PM

OK, I appreciate the answers. I'm sure its not a health issue (well maybe mental health haha) cause when he uses the box, he pees like a champion. I am not going to worry about it too much, it could be way worse! The tub is an easy cleanup.

Old 10-08-2019, 02:10 PM

18,903 posts, read 11,905,298 times
This is sort of a timely thread, as , occasionally, Lucky, my one cat, messes up and goes to his favorite corner and pees on the carpeting. A few months ago, we put in brand new carpeting, and he did it again ! Not sure why he does it, but he has done this from time to time his entire life.

So, we have to clean that area, and I just did some research today to find out the best way to do it. We were going to rent a carpet cleaner, as we have always done, but my internet research led me to this company:

http://www.bubbasrowdyfriends.com/pr...dor-terminator

Their pet odor eliminator has great reviews, so I called them to find out where I could buy their product. I actually spoke to the owner of the company, Wayne, and he was VERY informative, and VERY willing to spend as much time with me as I needed. Basically, he told me NOT to use a carpet cleaner because it drives the odor deeper into the carpet and does not suck it all back out.

Wayne explained that his product is different because his uses dormant enzymes , not live enzymes. He said the live enzymes are dead or dying by the time the bottle gets to your home, but his are reactivated by the food source (the pee) and come back to life to do their eating full strength. Makes sense to me.

What he told me to do was this:

1) Use a lawn tank sprayer with pure water in the tank, and wet down the area where the cat has been peeing. Soak it pretty well, this reliquifies (sp) the hardened urine crystals and makes them easier to remove. Let that soak for maybe 3-5 minutes and then towel up as much of the water as possible.

2) Empty the water out of the tank sprayer and put in his odor eliminator, FULL STRENGTH, and spray the affected area until the solution seeps all the way through to the concrete or floor under the carpeting.

3) Let that sit for 24-48 hours and then you can vacuum or carpet clean the area, if needed. But he says vacuuming is enough, unless you have stains to remove, then you would use the carpet cleaner. That is all you need to do.

It is not available locally, I am ordering on Amazon, and it is also not cheap, about $40 per gallon, but if it works I will be thrilled. I will let everyone know how well it works, but, from talking to the man, I feel he really knows his product and the reviews seem to bear that out.

After all, we cat lovers have to stick together, right ?

Old 10-08-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakley7677 View Post
OK, I appreciate the answers. I'm sure its not a health issue (well maybe mental health haha) cause when he uses the box, he pees like a champion. I am not going to worry about it too much, it could be way worse! The tub is an easy cleanup.

Based on your descriptions I would not first think health issue either, but possibly stress related. Be sure to keep them both on a high moisture (canned and/or raw) diet to help prevent any urinary tract issues.

Since it's an unused bathtub he has chosen as his other toilet, like you it wouldn't overly concern me, but I would keep an eye out for any stressors and especially any bullying behavior or littler box blocking by the other cat. Be sure you have adequate resources for two cats, to help cut down on territorial problems. Even if you don't notice them, they might be happening, which could cause stress.

Enough elevated spaces, beds, forts, feed in separate meal spots (never make them share dishes) and so on.

I might be inclined to put a litter box in that bathroom to see if he would use it though. It might trouble him a little to pee not in a box, adding more stress. I mean, he chose the spot himself, but he might like it better if he had a proper place to dig and bury.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:01 AM

2,439 posts, read 2,240,901 times
Have you considering putting a small litter box in that tub to see if he'll use that instead? I know it's not ideal but it would be an interesting test.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:08 PM

16,731 posts, read 14,192,271 times
Make sure the litter boxes are in different areas of the home.

This is not a health thing, physical nor mental, because seems he is purposely trying to go in a specific place. If it was a physical issue, it would be randomly around the house, if mental, it would be like a revenge, on your bed, pillow, sofa, etc.

Cats are hard to figure out, but I am thinking of maybe a few things; he not like the litter, make sure use unscented. He needs to litter boxes in different areas. He not feel safe all the time and goes where he feels safe. Maybe other cat bothers him too much sometimes when he is in the litter box and he not like it. But given how infrequent it is, who knows really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or