U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2019, 10:03 PM

5,524 posts, read 6,849,260 times

Advertisements

So we adopted two kittens from the shelter about 6 weeks ago. A male who is about 4 months old now, and a female who is about 5 months old now. We adopted them at the same time. Both were spayed/neutered when we got them. They are very sweet, playful kittens and get along really well.

Our male cat has started spraying. I am at my wits end trying to figure out how to get him to stop. He's already neutered. I got 2 of everything - litter boxes, water and food bowls, etc, but both cats use all of them, him included.

They are strictly indoor kitties and never go outside. They are the only pets. They get tons of love, play, and attention. There have been no changes in our house or routine. We've lived in our house for 15 years and have never once seen a cat outside, so I don't think he is seeing any cats through the window. The vet has ruled out any medical conditions. I bought the Feliway diffusers for the house. I have neutralized every spot he has ever sprayed with enzymes. The litter boxes are scooped every day and completely changed every week.

He uses he littler box all the time, but then will spray maybe once a day, usually not in the same spot. Also not necessarily the same time of day.

I am completely out of ideas. That is literally every suggestion I have seen online. The vet wasn't much help other than suggesting everything I've already tried.

Please help! He's just a kitten, and I don't want to deal with this for the next 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 08:13 AM

2,439 posts, read 2,236,630 times
Just a thought--can you try adding a third box, perhaps with the Cat Attract litter in it? Or a different brand of unscented litter as a test?

Another idea is to cover the bottoms of the windows just in case he is seeing something outside. I'm pretty sure you can buy a temporary film that you apply to the window.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:08 AM

4,280 posts, read 2,867,979 times
My guess is he's seeing something outside that's making him want to mark.

He's also still adjusting to his new environment. Typically, it takes about 3 months for a new pet to fully settle down into a routine of a household and feel secure.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:00 PM

4,498 posts, read 7,327,935 times
This usually works: "NO, NO SPRAYING, kitty!! No no no!"

If that doesn't work, it sounds as if he's still getting his sea legs. When we take community cat males to the clip joint, the paper they give us says they may spray for a few months. White Dot sprayed a few times when he first came back. And set up housekeeping in our garage for three months until he got over the trauma of a pre-op room with 80 cats in it, or the Convenia, or whatever. But he quit, probably in less than a month.

Somewhat related or not related at all, one of our adoptees was a very shy female named River. She would pee and poop outside the box, IIRC it took the better part of a year to get her to go to the box. Someone here suggested the cat litter might be too harsh on her feet so I found the finest stuff available. That pretty much did the trick, she's been an inside-the-box kitty ever since.

So there's cat litter and there's cat litter.

It's frustrating and can be time-consuming. And it smells pretty awful.

I'd guess he's feeling some sort of stress or threat, probably, as conjectured above, by something he sees outside at night when you're not around.

Even big cities have all manner of beasties roaming about. Raccoons, possums, cats, who knows unless you set up a couple of cameras to catch the outside nighttime action. That could prove interesting.

Patience and understanding.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:15 PM

16,685 posts, read 14,174,341 times
He still adjusting, growing, finding out about the world and himself. Give it time, he will stop after a little bit. I seriously doubt this is a lifetime thing or even a six month thing.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:38 AM

11,491 posts, read 5,335,623 times
I know shelters & rescue groups neuter & spay their animals when they are very young. Could this be part of the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or