U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 03:01 PM

967 posts, read 375,805 times

Advertisements

My two cats are 2 year old littermates. We have a bay window facing our backyard. They sleep there during the day and watch critters in our yard. I bought a bird feeder this summer that had suction cups to mount it to a window. I thought they’d like watching birds too. But they were both so scared of the feeder hanging in the window that they wouldn’t go near it, or jump onto their beds. I mounted across the yard on our garage, and they were fine with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 04:03 PM

227 posts, read 91,127 times
One of the kittens we foster named Liam, is frightened by the hiss noise soda bottles make when you open them! He is the most loving beautiful pure black cat ever and he just flips out.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:48 PM

215 posts, read 40,131 times
Our new friend was rescued from the street. I got her a stick with some feathers and thought it was an easy way to play with her while she can keep her distance. But no, as soo as I lift the stick she runs and hides ... something must have happened in her previous life :-(

The cat before her hated the vacuum. He never got used to it in all those years.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:07 AM

967 posts, read 375,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiemohro View Post
Our new friend was rescued from the street. I got her a stick with some feathers and thought it was an easy way to play with her while she can keep her distance. But no, as soo as I lift the stick she runs and hides ... something must have happened in her previous life :-(

The cat before her hated the vacuum. He never got used to it in all those years.
It’s more likely that your new kitty has no experience with toys, as opposed to a bad experience. How old is your new addition? I work at a shelter with cats, and handle many feral kittens and undersocialized cats. They are all fearful of toys until they feel comfortable and have gentle experiences, especially wand-type toys. Cats are hard wired to be wary of new things, because they are prey animals as well as predators. Cats that aren’t socialized to people and toys at 2-7 weeks have catching up to do.

To help your new girl learn to enjoy the feather toy, very gently drag it past and away from her (so it acts like prey). Don’t pick it the stick up if that scares her. If she friendly with you, try just holding the feathers in your hand and wiggling them around.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:12 AM

36,695 posts, read 33,174,193 times
I put a cucumber behind minners and she turned around and licked it. Video fail.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:44 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,244,237 times
My big boy Scooter is deathly afraid of plastic bags, waxed paper, sneezes, and coughs. All five of mine are also afraid of the dry Swiffer cloths which I bought because they were afraid of the vacuum as well.

Old 10-16-2019, 02:32 PM

7,445 posts, read 13,083,259 times
THANK YOU, fellow C-D'ers, for the laughs you just gave me (and the "Awww's" that many of you GOT from me -- alas, the system won't let me respond to some of you).

Jack is still a silly kitty, but I adore him ... especially in bathroom #2 (not bathroom #1, nor bathroom #3) in the middle of the night.

Movintime, if Silly Jack (SJ for short) is still afraid of me OUTSIDE of bathroom #2 in about 7 years (when we will have been together for 10 years), then <sigh> I may have to turn him over to you! I know he's your "main man," LOL!

Old 10-16-2019, 03:49 PM

4,347 posts, read 4,293,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
THANK YOU, fellow C-D'ers, for the laughs you just gave me (and the "Awww's" that many of you GOT from me -- alas, the system won't let me respond to some of you).

Jack is still a silly kitty, but I adore him ... especially in bathroom #2 (not bathroom #1, nor bathroom #3) in the middle of the night.

Movintime, if Silly Jack (SJ for short) is still afraid of me OUTSIDE of bathroom #2 in about 7 years (when we will have been together for 10 years), then <sigh> I may have to turn him over to you! I know he's your "main man," LOL!
SOLD!

MY 'MAIN MAN' is up for AUCTION< eh??

...me luv jack...

Old 10-17-2019, 03:26 PM

13,015 posts, read 7,841,337 times
Nimbus is afraid of:

- The sound of tinfoil.
- The sound made by plastic trash bags.
- The sound of the egg timer ticking.
- The sound if we put pennies in a container and shake it.
- The motorized pump we use to inflate air mattresses.
- The sight of an air mattress inflating.
- The smell of anything pickled in a jar.
- Obviously the vacuum cleaner.
- Me waving a pillow in the air in his general direction. (I have never hit him with a pillow, nor has anyone else that I know of. But I do this in the morning when he's trying to pester me, and he runs off, because he's a cat and he's weird.)

Some of these things, we use to actually keep him off the table when we are trying to eat cheese.

Oh, and I bought these plastic skeleton piranha fish from a Halloween store last year, and like some people use ocean or seashell themes in the bathroom, since I'm a spooky gothy person, I wanted skeleton fish on the wall in my bathroom, among other things. And before hanging them on the wall, they were sitting on the floor. Nimbus came up and rapidly smacked at one, until it rocked towards him on the surface where it was sitting, and then he spooked and ran away from it. So he is also afraid of plastic skeleton piranhas.

Also the outdoors, he is very afraid of the outdoors. Wants nothing to do with outside. I'm fine with that.

Old 10-17-2019, 03:55 PM

215 posts, read 40,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
It’s more likely that your new kitty has no experience with toys, as opposed to a bad experience. How old is your new addition? I work at a shelter with cats, and handle many feral kittens and undersocialized cats. They are all fearful of toys until they feel comfortable and have gentle experiences, especially wand-type toys. Cats are hard wired to be wary of new things, because they are prey animals as well as predators. Cats that aren’t socialized to people and toys at 2-7 weeks have catching up to do.

To help your new girl learn to enjoy the feather toy, very gently drag it past and away from her (so it acts like prey). Don’t pick it the stick up if that scares her. If she friendly with you, try just holding the feathers in your hand and wiggling them around.
Good idea! Will give it a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or