U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2019, 07:32 PM

18,895 posts, read 11,900,367 times

Advertisements

I mentioned yesterday, in another cat pee thread, that we ordered some Bubba's Rowdy Friends pet spray deodorizer, and that I would report back what we found when using it.

We started last night, and under the very expensive area rug, we found that Lucky has been more active than we thought , there were a bunch of spots where he has gone ! Since the carpeting is only about 3 months old, we were not about to replace it, so we did some research and this stuff had good feedback.

I phoned the company and got the President, Wayne, on the phone, and he spent a lot of time explaining how his product works and how to use it properly. So, we ordered it from Amazon, and it came in a day with a special they were running.

We followed his instructions to a T, first wetting the carpet with plain water to reliquify the urine crystals, waited 5 minutes, and then used a tank sprayer to coat the affected areas with a heavy coat of the Bubba stuff. It does have a fairly strong odor, so you will be coughing if you stay in that room for very long, but it is not obnoxiously bad. (Pee smell is worse ! )

We are now at 24 hours since spraying it, and we just bent down and tried to see if there was any urine smell, and there WAS NOT ! That was on the carpeting beneath the area rug. So, we took the area rug to my shop, it is an 8 x 10 carpet, and we laid it on a plastic tarp and looked at it with a black light to see where the pee spots were. Again, there were more than we thought. (Good thing I love this little guy !)

So, we sprayed both sides of the carpet, particularly in the peed on areas, and let is soak. By the time we left the shop the odor was down maybe 50%, and I expect it to get even better as the microbes eat the urine up.

So, my intial reaction is, this stuff is great ! I will know more when I go to the shop tomorrow (the carpet is still there, soaking) but I am impressed so far, and will let you all know what the end result is. Here is a link to the small spray size, we bought two gallons and really coated everything well.

http://www.bubbasrowdyfriends.com/pr...dor-terminator

Since this is a problem a lot of us cat lovers face from time to time, I felt I should pass along my findings.

Last edited by don1945; 10-11-2019 at 07:43 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 08:30 PM

3,300 posts, read 2,117,006 times
Thanks for the update, I read your detailed post and was hoping to find out what happened. Catspray (and pee) are horrible smelling!
Makes me wonder if the stuff is not made up of suspended nitrosomonas bacteria. They eat ammonia. (learned this from keeping salt water fish, part of the run-in of water)
Also same thing that is in the dry stuff you dump in your septic tank, paired with nitrobacter bacteria, which eat nitrite, then release nitrate, which is essentially detritus, and harmless. Sounds like it would work, and is beneficial to the environment too.

nitrosomonas eat ammonia, ammonia turns to nitrite. Nitrobacter eat nitrite, nitrite turns to nitrate

Last edited by TerraDown; 10-11-2019 at 09:00 PM..

Old 10-11-2019, 09:17 PM

I think you are probably close on what this is made of. As I mentioned in the earlier pee thread, Wayne said he would not knock a competitors product, but that his was different because it was made up of inactive something or other, and when it is put into the urine it comes alive and starts munching away.

He said that other products are made from live whatever's, and by the time they get shipped, held in some store, and then sold, a good percentage of them have died. His becomes 100% alive when you use it.

We just had dinner in front of the TV, and the dining room we treated is right there. No odor at all of urine, but there still is a faint odor of the Bubba product...…...not terrible, just there slightly.

I'll know more tomorrow when I go to my shop and see how the area rug smells.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:20 AM

6,518 posts, read 3,537,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I think you are probably close on what this is made of. As I mentioned in the earlier pee thread, Wayne said he would not knock a competitors product, but that his was different because it was made up of inactive something or other, and when it is put into the urine it comes alive and starts munching away.

He said that other products are made from live whatever's, and by the time they get shipped, held in some store, and then sold, a good percentage of them have died. His becomes 100% alive when you use it.

We just had dinner in front of the TV, and the dining room we treated is right there. No odor at all of urine, but there still is a faint odor of the Bubba product...…...not terrible, just there slightly.

I'll know more tomorrow when I go to my shop and see how the area rug smells.
I believe I tried this product, and found I couldn't deal with the smell of the Bubba product. It did do a good job on the pee. Thanks for the report!

Old 10-13-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I believe I tried this product, and found I couldn't deal with the smell of the Bubba product. It did do a good job on the pee. Thanks for the report!

Well, it worked great on the wall to wall carpeting that was under the area rug, but we went to the shop tonight to see how it did on the area rug, and the pee smell was horrible ! So. we wrapped up the 3 month old area rug and put it out for the trashman, and ordered a brand new area rug.

Not sure why it worked on one carpet and not the other, and we did exactly the same procedure on both. Now, I never leave Lucky alone in the house, and watch him like a hawk.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:02 PM

24,111 posts, read 29,197,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Well, it worked great on the wall to wall carpeting that was under the area rug, but we went to the shop tonight to see how it did on the area rug, and the pee smell was horrible ! So. we wrapped up the 3 month old area rug and put it out for the trashman, and ordered a brand new area rug.

Not sure why it worked on one carpet and not the other, and we did exactly the same procedure on both. Now, I never leave Lucky alone in the house, and watch him like a hawk.
Before you buy another rug you may want to figure out what type of fiber was used in the old one and avoid getting another one like it. My suspicion would be that a synthetic fiber would be better than wool, cotton, or silk.

https://pets.thenest.com/kind-carpet-cat-5772.html

Old 10-13-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Before you buy another rug you may want to figure out what type of fiber was used in the old one and avoid getting another one like it. My suspicion would be that a synthetic fiber would be better than wool, cotton, or silk.

https://pets.thenest.com/kind-carpet-cat-5772.html
Actually, the top part of the carpet is a polyester blend that nothing really sticks to. Daisy throws up occasionally, and it cleans right off of the new carpet as if it was never there. But the urine soaked down to the underneath part of the carpet and that is the part we could not get to clean up.

It is really my fault, Lucky has always had this problem of sneaking off to some corner and peeing all of his life. No matter how clean we keep the litter boxes, he is finicky. He never seems to do that in my bedroom, so he will now stay in there and have access to the lanai through a pet door, and when I am home at night he likes to sit with me watching TV, and also when he is out to eat his dinner.

We have had a lot of cats over the years, and, from our experience, female cats are much cleaner than large male cats. Even Mama Cat at our shop NEVER misses her litter box, and she was a feral for most of her life.

Good thing I love Lucky so much, he is a handful sometimes with his habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats