U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2019, 07:47 AM

215 posts, read 40,131 times

Advertisements

Our new cat is amazing. After 4 weeks she turned into a cuddle bug and she is super sweet.
We got her from a foster home (via private shelter), spayed and vaccinated. But she always has been scratchy. We changed her over to grain free and wet food and it has gotten better. Maybe she was also nervous and licking / cleaning herself calmed her down.

She never liked her ears to be touched. But Now, she also started shaking her head and we can’t touch that one ear. Just to be sure, we called the vet for an “ear” appointment tomorrow. We will see how that goes ... I will also get her chipped while there and she gets a full exam. Also curious how the vet feels about her weight, how old he think she is, her teeth etc. Very exciting for me to learn more about her (not so much for her I guess Haha).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 12:31 PM

3,623 posts, read 1,539,878 times
My rescue cat came with ear problems, too. She scratched and shook her head quite a bit before I realized how much she was doing it and made the appointment. They were full of wax, which the vet cleaned out and she had very minor infections in each, which we had to treat with drops.

Since then, I'll occasionally wrap a piece of wet paper towel around a finger and put it in a dirty ear for Gypsy to use to "scratch." She seems to get the hint and next time I look, that ear will be sparkling. They really are smart.

Old 10-17-2019, 01:40 PM

1,942 posts, read 702,137 times
They can get an infection down in there but it's been an easy fix for us. You might get medicine and cotton swabs to use next day or so. You have to be careful not to push anything further in and to go gently with the bend of the ear.

Old 10-18-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
My rescue cat came with ear problems, too. She scratched and shook her head quite a bit before I realized how much she was doing it and made the appointment. They were full of wax, which the vet cleaned out and she had very minor infections in each, which we had to treat with drops.

Since then, I'll occasionally wrap a piece of wet paper towel around a finger and put it in a dirty ear for Gypsy to use to "scratch." She seems to get the hint and next time I look, that ear will be sparkling. They really are smart.
Exact same here. Full with wax and he mentioned yeast. They cleaned them, and we have to drop her for the next days. She didn’t like it but did great on her left ear they used 10 cotton swabs. Tons off nasty black stuff.

She is now hiding. She also got a chip and that was too much. The needle was huge!!! Poor girl. But happy her ears will feel better

Oh and she is on a diet. She has 10.6 lbs but should be around.5 max ... doing calorie count now....

Old 10-18-2019, 03:38 PM

2,439 posts, read 2,236,630 times
FYI, yeast in the ears can be an ongoing issue. Our Sadie has had several yeast infections in her ears. Not a dangerous thing but something to keep an eye on.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
FYI, yeast in the ears can be an ongoing issue. Our Sadie has had several yeast infections in her ears. Not a dangerous thing but something to keep an eye on.
Oh no! I hope not. I am already stressed with 10 days drops .. but will check regularly and if it’s ongoing we deal with it. Curious how they this?

Old 11-01-2019, 12:18 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,601,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
They can get an infection down in there but it's been an easy fix for us. You might get medicine and cotton swabs to use next day or so. You have to be careful not to push anything further in and to go gently with the bend of the ear.
To be on the safe side, use a cotton ball. The cat could move suddenly and the swab has the potential to go further than it should - perhaps causing damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or