U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 11:53 AM

2,528 posts, read 4,224,431 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I had a question about this rash that developed on my cat’s stomach...he seems to lick this area when he’s grooming and it gets worse but he doesn’t seem to be in discomfort...

Here is a pic

He does have allergies it seems, he sneezes sometimes and gets watery eyes..

He has a vet visit in March and all was ok....

Anyone have any insight?
Attached Thumbnails
Little rash on cats belly-30af17c9-ec34-49cf-b4e1-b002a675b888.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 12:21 PM

8,869 posts, read 5,435,124 times
I don't know what it is. But this would worry me enough to take him to a veterinary dermatologist.

Old 10-26-2019, 04:26 PM

6,359 posts, read 13,068,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Hi all, I had a question about this rash that developed on my cat’s stomach...he seems to lick this area when he’s grooming and it gets worse but he doesn’t seem to be in discomfort...

Here is a pic

He does have allergies it seems, he sneezes sometimes and gets watery eyes..

He has a vet visit in March and all was ok....

Anyone have any insight?

That looks very sore. Cats don't show pain, so it is very likely it is causing him discomfort. Please take him to the vet. It could be a food allergy or environmental allergy, or stress.

Also look up eosinophilic granuloma complex in cats.

My cat (now an angel) used to lick a bald spot down on her abdomen, near where her spay scar would be. I called it her Pink Triangle. She did often lick it bare and sore.

Vet was not very helpful, just kept prescribing Animax ointment. The Animax would stop the licking for a while, but she always started up again. So the ointment eliminated the discomfort but did not get to the root cause, which was food intolerances.

When I cut out all foods that contain carrageenan, things got a bit better, the sore spot disappeared but the fur was always kept short so she was still chewing the area.

She did not stop completely until I went to a raw diet. So the last 7 years of her life she had lovely fully grown in fur there.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:34 AM

I have a vet visit scheduled....the lady I know from the cat rescue said it looks like an allergy

Old 10-28-2019, 02:42 PM

2,439 posts, read 2,236,630 times
Owie, that looks painful. ITA with cats mom's advice above. Has anything changed in your household lately (new pet, loss of pet, change in your routine) that might cause him stress?

Old 10-28-2019, 02:45 PM

1,107 posts, read 391,938 times
I would guess allergy, too. Probably something in his food? Please update us after your appt.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:44 AM

His patch has gotten better, I am waiting for the vet appointment..but I purchased a soothing foam from petco that seems to have really helped, thank God.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:57 AM

56 posts, read 4,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
That looks very sore. Cats don't show pain, so it is very likely it is causing him discomfort. Please take him to the vet. It could be a food allergy or environmental allergy, or stress.

Also look up eosinophilic granuloma complex in cats.

My cat (now an angel) used to lick a bald spot down on her abdomen, near where her spay scar would be. I called it her Pink Triangle. She did often lick it bare and sore.

Vet was not very helpful, just kept prescribing Animax ointment. The Animax would stop the licking for a while, but she always started up again. So the ointment eliminated the discomfort but did not get to the root cause, which was food intolerances.

When I cut out all foods that contain carrageenan, things got a bit better, the sore spot disappeared but the fur was always kept short so she was still chewing the area.

She did not stop completely until I went to a raw diet. So the last 7 years of her life she had lovely fully grown in fur there.
Cats do show pain. We humans don't always know what to look for, some of us don't understand the signals. But that "cats show no pain" is a horrible myth that makes people not try and look for the signs, or ignore them when they're very obvious.

That red spot? That's a huge honking glaring enormous sign. It says "hey - this spot right here? IT HURTS."

The cat is basically drawing a circle around the spot and saying HERE HERE HERE PAY ATTENTION and you're saying cats show no pain.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:18 AM

9,206 posts, read 11,167,266 times
I had a cat who had flea bite allergies I think you'd say. He would scratch till his tummy was raw. He was only indoors, but in Florida the fleas would jump through the screen and in the house. We had a flea guy come, non toxic stuff and it helped. I think he got a steroid shot, too, which really healed it up. Just one injection.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:47 AM

1,125 posts, read 694,476 times
Start on a grain free diet gradually. Can use Coconut Oil on sore sites too. Refined or unrefined: it has anti-bacterial properties to it. I also give my boy 1 tsp or more per day for general wellness. He takes a dab from my finger and good bonding time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats