Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 03:46 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times

Advertisements

My Cat From Hell: Season 10, Episode 1.

I know because I watched it last night lol! I was bored and didn't want to watch any of the shows I like best because my partner wasn't home and we watch them together. So. Jackson Galaxy to the rescue!

The point of this is that in addition to diet, overweight cats need exercise, but their weight is enough to put damaging stress on their joints, so if they can get them acclimated to the water then raise it high enough to give them a bit of buoyancy, it will be a low-joint-stress workout, rather like how old folks often do exercise in pools. Same concept. And it does work! While the cat isn't gonna be happy about any of this, it's not actually doing them harm...or rather, it's doing them a lot less harm than continuing to be overweight and not getting any exercise, is going to do.

But this is reserved for extreme cases, I think, where the cat's weight has gotten so high that they really cannot find other ways to help them exercise. The cat featured in the episode, started out at 41 POUNDS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 05:09 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I'm not sure what would bother me most if I were Cinderblock: the harness and leash, the water (what's the purpose of an inch of water?), the treadmill, or the camera? She needs a diet for sure, but otherwise she's got a lot to complain about.
The water takes some of the pressure off of her joints when she is on the treadmill. Jackson Galaxy featured a cat on his show who lost close to half his body weight doing water treadmill exercise.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:32 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
I saw an explanation earlier from the vet clinic early - the cat's diet is already so restricted that they can't really go lower without starving her of nutrients, so she needs to burn calories in addition to being on calorie restriction. Also, she's currently so heavy she can't walk more than a few steps unaided, and being basically immobile is really hard on the body's systems. Hence, hydrotherapy.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:41 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
Thanks for all who explained the issues. It makes sense now.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:35 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Thanks for all who explained the issues. It makes sense now.

I've reached that conclusion too. IF the cat can adjust to the hydrotherapy. No point in stressing the cat into kidney failure, after all.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:47 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I've reached that conclusion too. IF the cat can adjust to the hydrotherapy. No point in stressing the cat into kidney failure, after all.
They have an updated video somewhere showing her taking some steps in the water on the treadmill.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:54 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBXbbzHQFGc

Quote:
Many people have wondered why Northshore is subjecting Cinder to the underwater treadmill. Cinder has arthritis in multiple joints and is carrying an extra 10 lb of body weight. The water provides a reduced weight-bearing environment that increases functional use of limbs without marked weight loading and resultant discomfort to joints. She's still in the process of becoming acclimated to this treadmill and the water level is lower than we would like just so she can become used to the process.”

Old 10-29-2019, 08:03 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,673 times
Best wishes for Cinderblock. It's going to be a tough journey, but I'm confident she will get there with all the help she's receiving.

I was never able to get my genetically obese (his twin was normal/thin) Siamese cat to walk via a harness and leash. He just collapsed on the sidewalk and absolutely refused to budge whether for life or limb. Maybe if I had this water treadmill contraption...

Sadly he eventually succumbed to obesity-related health issues at 13 yrs., and his healthier twin followed not too long after from a broken heart.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:19 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
Oh my, that poor kitty is so obese! I sure wish she was getting WET food and not kibble. I understand that they use the kibble to entice her to walk, but she'd be more satiated with wet food mixed with extra water. (We once had a cat lose a bunch of weight and the only way we could do it was with wet food.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats