U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-29-2019, 07:59 PM
 
5,118 posts, read 989,975 times
Reputation: 3595

Advertisements

I see that there are mixed opinions as to whether a 7-month-old kitten can be left overnight, but I'm going to play it safe and leave her at the vet's.

I've had cats all my life, but I've always adopted adults and thus have left them alone for the weekend (2 nights) with plenty of food, water, and an extra litter box. This kitten-business is a new experience for me, and well....it requires more work. Anyway, I'm going to plan on leaving her at the vet's for overnights until she's at around 9 or 10 months old. (At that point, I'll leave her on her own for overnights, and have a cat-sitter come in daily for longer trips, just as I did with my adult cats.)

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

P.S. I have a busy schedule through the rest of the year, but come 2020....I'm thinking of adopting a second one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-29-2019, 08:20 PM
 
6,359 posts, read 13,068,665 times
Reputation: 8971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I see that there are mixed opinions as to whether a 7-month-old kitten can be left overnight, but I'm going to play it safe and leave her at the vet's.

I've had cats all my life, but I've always adopted adults and thus have left them alone for the weekend (2 nights) with plenty of food, water, and an extra litter box. This kitten-business is a new experience for me, and well....it requires more work. Anyway, I'm going to plan on leaving her at the vet's for overnights until she's at around 9 or 10 months old. (At that point, I'll leave her on her own for overnights, and have a cat-sitter come in daily for longer trips, just as I did with my adult cats.)

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

P.S. I have a busy schedule through the rest of the year, but come 2020....I'm thinking of adopting a second one.
I am glad you won't leave a kitten alone. I would really wait to leave her even for an overnight until she is over 1 year old, and maybe even wait until you have two adult cats.And then get them used to being alone over night without staying away 24 hours. Just leave in the evening and come back in the morning, at first, a few times.

I don't agree with those who make all those broad claims about how cats are "fine" left alone and untended for days. They have just been lucky is all. Not to mention leaving a cat alone for days and days means the cat is forced to eat a dry diet for days on end.

It only takes once, one accident, one illness, and then nothing is fine ever again. Having participated in cats forums for the last 25 years, I can tell you that I have read of many many times when the cat left alone, with no one coming in daily, was not "fine". You would not like to know the details.

My one personal experience I mentioned earlier turned out okay, so I was lucky too. I could have come home to a dead cat. If I'd been much longer away I probably would have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2019, 12:42 AM
 
Location: In a cat house! ;)
1,704 posts, read 4,543,920 times
Reputation: 2150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaChris View Post
Of course you can. Leave a clean litter box, enough food and water and close off any rooms you don't want him in. I have 2 cat's they are about 15 months old now. I have left them alone more than one night - 2-3 with what I said above. They are fine when I get home - but next to me wherever I sit or lay down for days after I get home. I do board my dog though.
I'm not picking on you. Mannnnnny people think and do the same as you. It always makes me wonder why people believe it is okay to leave a cat alone, but not a dog.

If a person believes all a cat needs is a supply of litter, food, and water to be left alone safely, why don't they believe the same for a dog? Poo pads (or whatever), food, and water is totally comparable to the same items for a cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2019, 05:52 AM
 
529 posts, read 755,450 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I see that there are mixed opinions as to whether a 7-month-old kitten can be left overnight, but I'm going to play it safe and leave her at the vet's.

I've had cats all my life, but I've always adopted adults and thus have left them alone for the weekend (2 nights) with plenty of food, water, and an extra litter box. This kitten-business is a new experience for me, and well....it requires more work. Anyway, I'm going to plan on leaving her at the vet's for overnights until she's at around 9 or 10 months old. (At that point, I'll leave her on her own for overnights, and have a cat-sitter come in daily for longer trips, just as I did with my adult cats.)

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

P.S. I have a busy schedule through the rest of the year, but come 2020....I'm thinking of adopting a second one.
You should do what you feel is best for you and your fur baby. Every circumstance,situation and fur baby is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2019, 06:02 AM
 
529 posts, read 755,450 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
I'm not picking on you. Mannnnnny people think and do the same as you. It always makes me wonder why people believe it is okay to leave a cat alone, but not a dog.

If a person believes all a cat needs is a supply of litter, food, and water to be left alone safely, why don't they believe the same for a dog? Poo pads (or whatever), food, and water is totally comparable to the same items for a cat.
There's a whole lot of difference in a poo/pee pad(which by the way we've personally never used....always took them outside)than a litter box. A dog has to be walked and needs to be with you more than a cat does and is a lot easier to travel with. However,we have had one cat that traveled with us as well. We started taking her with us when she was just a baby,she loved it and did very well but all cats don't like it. Never had a dog who didn't like to travel though which is another big difference. As long as a dog is with you,they don't care where you are or where you take them. Most cats on the other hand do not like for their atmospheres or routines to be changed at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2019, 06:09 AM
 
6,359 posts, read 13,068,665 times
Reputation: 8971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
There's a whole lot of difference in a poo/pee pad(which by the way we've personally never used....always took them outside)than a litter box. A dog has to be walked and needs to be with you more than a cat does and is a lot easier to travel with. However,we have had one cat that traveled with us as well. We started taking her with us when she was just a baby,she loved it and did very well but all cats don't like it. Never had a dog who didn't like to travel though which is another big difference. As long as a dog is with you,they don't care where you are or where you take them. Most cats on the other hand do not like for their atmospheres or routines to be changed at all.

Yes, and a 7 month old kitten suddenly left alone for 24 or more hours is at very high risk for getting into trouble in some way. Boarding her will be much safer and it's a good age for her to get used to being boarded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2019, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Ft. Myers
18,866 posts, read 11,881,489 times
Reputation: 39737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
I'm not picking on you. Mannnnnny people think and do the same as you. It always makes me wonder why people believe it is okay to leave a cat alone, but not a dog.

If a person believes all a cat needs is a supply of litter, food, and water to be left alone safely, why don't they believe the same for a dog? Poo pads (or whatever), food, and water is totally comparable to the same items for a cat.
No, dogs are a whole nuther animal altogether. Over my lifetime, I have had tons of dogs and cats. Cats are so much easier to have. You put down food, water, litter boxes, and some toys, and they are self sufficient. Dogs require much more attention and will suffer from separation anxiety when you are not home many times.

In my complex, I see people out walking their dogs at midnight, in the pouring rain, and I say to myself, "Thank God I have cats !" I love dogs, and all animals, but cats are just soooooooo much easier to own. I keep hearing about these poo pads, but every dog I have had wants to go outside and run. They also have a bad habit of chewing things like furniture, when they get bored.

I love em, just will never own one again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2019, 09:11 AM
 
Location: In a cat house! ;)
1,704 posts, read 4,543,920 times
Reputation: 2150
If a person doesn't think it is right to leave a dog alone, don't leave a cat alone. BOTH depend on their humans for care. My two cents...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2019, 12:20 PM
 
529 posts, read 755,450 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
If a person doesn't think it is right to leave a dog alone, don't leave a cat alone. BOTH depend on their humans for care. My two cents...
I’m sorry but there’s just no comparison in the two. As I said before,dogs require a lot more and different care than cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2019, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Out West
23,626 posts, read 17,413,600 times
Reputation: 27509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I see that there are mixed opinions as to whether a 7-month-old kitten can be left overnight, but I'm going to play it safe and leave her at the vet's.

I've had cats all my life, but I've always adopted adults and thus have left them alone for the weekend (2 nights) with plenty of food, water, and an extra litter box. This kitten-business is a new experience for me, and well....it requires more work. Anyway, I'm going to plan on leaving her at the vet's for overnights until she's at around 9 or 10 months old. (At that point, I'll leave her on her own for overnights, and have a cat-sitter come in daily for longer trips, just as I did with my adult cats.)

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

P.S. I have a busy schedule through the rest of the year, but come 2020....I'm thinking of adopting a second one.
Your kitten would be fine at home as long as you take some precautions - like someone mentioned the string for the blinds. I would also make sure there are no plastic bags with handles on them for the cat to play in. It only takes one time of seeing your cat racing around the house with their head through the handle of the plastic bag to realize something bad could happen were you not there.

If I was that worried, I'd empty my bathroom shelves and place the kitty in there for 24 hours.

But, if you feel better about taking them to the vet, then whatever gives you peace of mind is the right answer.

For future reference, though, most of that 24 hours, that kitten will be sleeping. Just lock off other parts of the house, and they can stay home the next time. Or you could just have a trusted neighbor come in and check on the kitten a time or two. Or just keep boarding them - whatever makes you feel the most relaxed so you can concentrate on what you need to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top