U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 01:24 PM

6,359 posts, read 13,068,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
I’m sorry but there’s just no comparison in the two. As I said before,dogs require a lot more and different care than cats.

Different yes. "a lot more" no. Cats require just as much care. That people chose not to provide that much care doesn't mean they don't require it. It just means people don't want to be bothered providing it. And since cats are stoic creatures...well. They get short shrift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 04:57 PM

11,102 posts, read 15,599,221 times
Leaving a cat in a bathroom for 24+ hours is incredibly irresponsible. You think food and water and litter box is enough ?. OMG

Hope you don't own a pet. And the same for others who would do that.

Old 10-30-2019, 04:59 PM

11,102 posts, read 15,599,221 times
I have absolutely no respect for anyone who would lock up an innocent pet in a bathroom ! I do have some quality thoughts on how to lock up the owner for 24 hrs. or more.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:52 AM

529 posts, read 755,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Different yes. "a lot more" no. Cats require just as much care. That people chose not to provide that much care doesn't mean they don't require it. It just means people don't want to be bothered providing it. And since cats are stoic creatures...well. They get short shrift.
Seriously?!!! What an insult to all of the/us caring fur mommy’s and daddy’s!...... Some of the best anywhere! I have other thoughts and could say more but I’m finished with this conversation! Think the OP got her answers and opinions and has made her final decision anyway which was supposed to be the main issue and concern. Like I said before,every circumstance,situation and animal is different and everyone just does what they feel is best and works best for them in their current situation. No one is perfect and always does the perfect thing but we love and care for our furkids!

Old 10-31-2019, 08:16 AM

18,862 posts, read 11,881,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
If a person doesn't think it is right to leave a dog alone, don't leave a cat alone. BOTH depend on their humans for care. My two cents...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
I’m sorry but there’s just no comparison in the two. As I said before,dogs require a lot more and different care than cats.
Dogs are dependent animals, cats are very independent. For example, we just woke up, I fed my two cats, and they are off on the lanai watching birds. They could care less if I was home or not. Cats also sleep 20 hours a day, so they do not even know if you are home , or not.

If you leave a dog home alone for too long, you will come home to find your sofa half eaten. Cats will be sleeping on that sofa, and maybe not even stir when you come back.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:24 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,244,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Dogs are dependent animals, cats are very independent. For example, we just woke up, I fed my two cats, and they are off on the lanai watching birds. They could care less if I was home or not. Cats also sleep 20 hours a day, so they do not even know if you are home , or not.

If you leave a dog home alone for too long, you will come home to find your sofa half eaten. Cats will be sleeping on that sofa, and maybe not even stir when you come back.
I don't know who has these aloof, independent cats who don't know if you are home are not. Mine are not the same at all. If I am in my regular chair using the laptop, my big furry boy will regularly try to sit half on my chest and half on the lap top. My Russian Blue will hop up on the other arm of the chair and whine for pets, and the Tonkinese will alternate with her to do the same thing. Even my gimpy 12 year old tabby will come into the room and head butt me to get some affection. Basically I'm besieged with cats all day, lol! Even the dilute tortie will eventually come out of the linen closet where she naps and sleep on my lap (and she weighs a lot!).

Old 10-31-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I don't know who has these aloof, independent cats who don't know if you are home are not. Mine are not the same at all. If I am in my regular chair using the laptop, my big furry boy will regularly try to sit half on my chest and half on the lap top. My Russian Blue will hop up on the other arm of the chair and whine for pets, and the Tonkinese will alternate with her to do the same thing. Even my gimpy 12 year old tabby will come into the room and head butt me to get some affection. Basically I'm besieged with cats all day, lol! Even the dilute tortie will eventually come out of the linen closet where she naps and sleep on my lap (and she weighs a lot!).

Yep. I have never experienced these "independent" cats either. My cats (current and past) like to be with me. They don't "sleep 20 hours a day" either. They are quite active, and interactive. And they certainly miss me, when I am gone for longer than my usual times.

Old 10-31-2019, 07:22 PM

No, you are both confusing the word "independent" with not being "affectionate". Both of mine at home, and Mama Kitty at the shop, LOVE attention. When I go to the shop, MK will jump up on my lap as I sit in the recliner and stay there as long as I let her. Lucky loves to nap laying on my arm while we sit on the couch together.

However, they also like their alone time. They will wander off to the lanai or to a chair somewhere, and sit or nap all by themselves, for hours at a time. They also are independent in the respect that you can put out tons of dry food, water, and litter, and they survive quite well for extended periods.

Now, that doesn't mean they do not run up to you when we get back home, and want to spend time with you, it just means they are physically ok by themselves for periods of time.

Old 10-31-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
No, you are both confusing the word "independent" with not being "affectionate". Both of mine at home, and Mama Kitty at the shop, LOVE attention. When I go to the shop, MK will jump up on my lap as I sit in the recliner and stay there as long as I let her. Lucky loves to nap laying on my arm while we sit on the couch together.

However, they also like their alone time. They will wander off to the lanai or to a chair somewhere, and sit or nap all by themselves, for hours at a time. They also are independent in the respect that you can put out tons of dry food, water, and litter, and they survive quite well for extended periods.

Now, that doesn't mean they do not run up to you when we get back home, and want to spend time with you, it just means they are physically ok by themselves for periods of time.

I know you love your cats Don. And I am sure they love you. They are used to the life they have with you. Key point here: They are used to it.

But I am also sure you know my opinion of simply dumping kibble in a bowl and consider that adequate feeding. I don't believe cats can be healthy on a dry diet. It's actually a very high risk you take, if you have any male cats, leaving them alone, dry fed, like that.

Survival is not the same as thriving.

And finally..leaving multiple adult cats who are used to each other and used to being left alone, and used to lying around sleeping for hours at a time, for 5 days, is far different than leaving a 7 month old kitten all on her own, for even 24 hours.

It's not the same thing at all.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I know you love your cats Don. And I am sure they love you. They are used to the life they have with you. Key point here: They are used to it.

But I am also sure you know my opinion of simply dumping kibble in a bowl and consider that adequate feeding. I don't believe cats can be healthy on a dry diet. It's actually a very high risk you take, if you have any male cats, leaving them alone, dry fed, like that.

Survival is not the same as thriving.

And finally..leaving multiple adult cats who are used to each other and used to being left alone, and used to lying around sleeping for hours at a time, for 5 days, is far different than leaving a 7 month old kitten all on her own, for even 24 hours.

It's not the same thing at all.

Yep, I guess we all have our own beliefs and thoughts about the best way to do these things. We will agree to just disagree on some of those points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or