U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 8,155 times

Advertisements

This is somewhat related to KarlyK's post (here: [url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/308068-cat-vomiting-may-have-ibd-any.html[/url]) however I felt it warranted it's own thread.

5 years ago I adopted an Abyssinian. A co-worker breeds them and called me one day asking if I was interested. Her owners were moving and couldn't take the cat with. Within a week of living with me, I discovered vomit around the house and discovered that she would vomit about every other day. When I asked my co-worker about this, she said that the cat did have problems but thought the problems were over. To make the story short, I discovered the old owners just didn't want to deal with the constant vomiting. I decided the poor cat had been moved a lot so I kept her. To make it worse, the old owner worked at the vet that she was at. So the cat has a record of vomiting and trying different kinds of food. She's been tested with no known issues (she's 13 now). I've tried at least a half dozen dry foods, another dozen wet/canned foods (organic, natural, etc) as well as fresh chicken. Nothing seems to help. Hairball jelly didn't make much of a difference.

She could throw up 5 minutes after eating for 5 hours. It's purely random. To make things worse, she has lost 6 teeth since I've owned her. She's had teeth cleaning twice. The first time, they pulled 2 teeth (Abby's are known to have gum disease I guess). This last time, they pulled 3 and she lost one at home. She's down to 3 or 4 teeth so when she eats it's difficult for her. Even wet food she seems to have trouble, licking it off the plate and turning her head sideways to chew. Then she spends time licking her teeth/gums to clean out the food.

I suspect that the vomiting led to rotting of the teeth.

I'm curious if anyone else has seen this problem and if there are any suggestions. All the vets (2 of them now) do is recommend different foods. The current vet said she could be allergic to chicken so we went on a seafood diet (no chicken or by products). She still throws up. I saw mention of pediasure in the Karly thread. Is this safe to feed a cat? I'm wondering if I could somehow feed her an all liquid diet to make it easier on her. She weighs about 6-7 pounds (used to weigh 8-9 when I got her - she would eat A LOT since she had teeth). Does anyone have recommendations for medicine I could ask the vet to prescribe that may help with the vomiting?

Any ideas/tips would be greatly appreciated. It makes me sad to watch her struggle to eat but I feel helpless and have no real idea what to do. Some Googling reveals that many cats live just fine with no teeth but she seems to struggle.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Jim
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 11:34 PM

12 posts, read 65,715 times
Princess is on Metoclopramide, which is for nausea, its in liquid form, takes it every 8-12 hours and Mirtazapine which is for nausea and appetite stimulation, its a pill but we crush it and mix it with water into a syringe, which she takes once every 3 days. The medicine has stopped all vomiting, but I am also not giving her dry food. She has been eating A/D wet food but I have to switch her to a different kind since thats a high calorie diet. Today, I tried Purina Selects...she wasn't having that. I'll have to check with the vet for another suggestion on brand, I'll let you know what they recommend. In any case, you could ask about the two medicines I suggested, you never know, maybe they'll make all the difference, hope your kitty gets better.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats