Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2008, 10:06 PM

672 posts, read 5,822,348 times

Advertisements

We have dealt with this problem several times. We have two cats, and one of them (the female) doesn't recognize the other cat when he is either sick or comes back from the vet. It's either because he's acting differently or has different smells on him. She hisses, screeches and attacks him.

Well we're having this problem right now big time because our male cat has been sick. She started attacking him right away when he started vomiting last Friday night. Then after he came back from the vet ER he smelled different and had blood drawn, etc. so she didn't recognize him and continued to attack. We've had to keep them separated in different rooms since Friday. Usually when this has happened before, it takes about 3 days for the other cat to calm down and accept her buddy. But it's been a week now and she still won't accept him. We've been trying short introduction periods each day, supervised, and she always hisses, screeches and attacks him, leaving him to scurry under the bed for cover.

The sad thing is that it's been a week and we're wondering if they're ever going to be friends again. Normally, they're best buddies.

We even tried putting the female cat in a kennel and letting the other cat be in the same room with her (so she couldn't attack but could observe him.) Unfortunately, that didn't work, since as soon as we let her out she hissed and attacked him.

Anyone ever deal with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 12:26 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,424 times
You might want to try leaving the unrecognized cat in the kennel for a little longer maybe even over night. Then try and see if that works. Good luck.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:17 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,053 times
ooh.. I had this problem too. I thought it was very strange and didn't realize this happens. Fortunately, mine didn't last but a day or two. I wish I could offer advise, but I thing the other poster may be right. Just keep her in a kennel a little longer and let the other one sniff so she/he can get used to her/him again. Maybe wrap kitty (or around the area) in some of your clothes or towels that have your smell on them.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:07 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,577,641 times
They come back from the vets with a different smell. I would keep them apart for at least 3 days before introducing them again and one would be in a kennel. I wouldn't turn the one in the kennel loose but try the kenneling intorduction for several days. Also, try swapping their bedding during this time so they have time to get use to one anothers scents again..

Old 05-16-2008, 08:08 PM

1,401 posts, read 3,773,747 times
Here's something that works EVERY time.

You can do it one of two ways:

Ask your vet for a spray bottle of Ft. Dodge Waterless Shampoo. Spritz some on a dampened wash cloth, and gently wipe down the kitty that has returned from 'the outer worlds'....that way, the strange smells are gone, and it might go easier. If need be, wipe down the kitty who did NOT leave the house, that way they both smell the same!

You can also get "Kitty Bath Wipes" at Petco, PetSmart, Walmart and others...they work great!

Old 05-18-2008, 05:46 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Now, I had never heard of these. Thanks for that great post.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-19-2008, 10:45 AM

672 posts, read 5,822,348 times
Yes, we have had this problem every time our male cat comes home from the vet or gets sick, etc. My theory is because the male cat is the alpha cat in our household, and the female is the beta cat. When the alpha gets sick, my hypothesis is that it freaks the beta cat out, and the cat hierarchy is shaken up. Cats don't like when they don't know where they stand, so to speak. So when the alpha is weak or sick, he doesn't act like the alpha anymore, and either the beta doesn't have a "leader" to follow anymore and freaks out, or she tries to usurp his power and become the alpha. The balance of power is only restored after our alpha has enough of the beta's antics, and slaps her upside the head. This is how it always happens in our house--once the male cat gets sick and tired of the female's crazy behavior, he puts her in her place with a slap upside the head. Then she realizes who is in charge and becomes submissive again.

This is my theory of what's happening in our household, anyway.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:53 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Now, I had never heard of these. Thanks for that great post.
I have had this happen when I had a dog that went to the Vet to get fixed. My cats loved her and curled up with her to sleep but when she came back, they didn't know her and were affraid. Mine got over it however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats