Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 08:44 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
A month is not enough time. It takes that long to just introduce them without turning them loose together. I have one that lived in my bedroom for almost a year until things worked out.
We got our second cat in September 2010. She has just now come out of the bedroom that she was first put into. All of a sudden she has decided to become part of the family and come out of her shell and is downstairs with us and not hiding in the spare bedroom. However, her and my old cat still hiss and give each other the evil eye. They are both older cats (7 and 12) so they really don't get into all the actual fighting but sometimes the hissing and growling seems so menacing and I'm afraid they just might get into it one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 09:26 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
If its just roughhouse fighting that is normal. Any time I added cats and they were being that way the aggressive one got a light bum smack and told to be nice. They eventually got it that I am the alpha. Its not their place to punish. Or thats is what I would like to assume. Hahahaha!

I now have two older cats (boys)that had to get used to each other. It took them a couple months and now the wrestle and play with each other. Clean each others face. I still have to tell the really energetic one to be nice sometimes when he gets too annoying to the other one. But I noticed the new one had less of a problem standing up for himself after I was yelling at the bad one. Usually now the new one just jumps up on something high to get away from the rowdy one. Maybe have somewhere the newbie can hide or crawl into could help you too? Good luck!

Old 07-02-2011, 09:13 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I had cats that did not get along, hissing, marking, but no one got into a fight. They settle down eventually. I stay out of it, and let them work it out. Have separate cat boxes, and separate food dishes.

Sometimes, they never really like each other, but live in toleration.
This. I'm glad it was finally said. It is true, some cats will never really like each other.

I have some cats that for the most part, all get along with each other except for one they like to pick on. Funny thing is, the picked on cat was "here first".

It has been 2 years and this still happens. The picked on cat typically hides out...used to be she would hide behind the bed, all. day. long.

I have used those pheromone things that plug in to the wall, collars, etc and they help a tiny bit but they all do not get along. To this day they still argue, hiss, growl at each other. Some times the other cats will chase this one until she stops and starts swiping.

So, while MOST cats will eventually work it out, keep in mind that not ALL cats will. If that is the case, it's up to you to decide if giving them away will be better for the cat or if they can at least live with each other without the arguments more often than not.

I have chosen to keep the one because again, she was here first, they are all rescues, (meaning, people dumped them and I saved them), and mostly it's hissing and growling, no full on, knock down, drag out fights. But if it were that way or gets that way, I'll have to rethink about rehoming either her or some of the others.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:35 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I see merging cats from my perspective, someone brings a stranger to my house, expects me to share all my stuff, and like it? Well, maybe if it was Brad Pitt, but otherwise, I would not be happy about it.

Our Siamese was always fighting with his "brother", hissed at him every time he saw him, for YEARS! About once a week I would see them having a fight. It seems to be there is one that instigates the fight, Mickey was SO BAD! He would routinely jump on Pierre, bite his neck, and Pierre would make this loud Siamese Banshee wail, and the fight would start! Usually scrapping for about 2 minutes. Pierre would hiss, eventually get up, walk away, go mark the door. He never marked before, and he was a nuetered male. He usually only marked the door, gross!

Then, Mickey moved out with me, and both cats were perfectly happy as only cats.

Until Mickey got a kitten, and it all started again.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:17 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
My cat Patty, after a year and a half, still doesn't really like Mickey but she doesn't ever scratch him anymore, and doesn't "yell" at him as much either. It took a long time to get to this point. Maybe with more time they'll actually be friends, maybe not. If they can coexist in relative peace that's OK.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:10 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I love watching cats play, and have been thinking about getting Jasper a "friend". But maybe he is happier as an only cat. And we all know, sometimes a new cat just does not have chemistry.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,512 times
i have two 3 year old cats i just got a kitten one of my cats get alone with him and the other forget it and now the one cat hates the new one and his brother what shoud i do

Old 07-07-2011, 05:44 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
Hi All-I'm hoping someone can recommend something. I don't know what to do and I absolutely don't want to take her back.
I adopted a new kitty about a month ago. I followed what the shelter said I should do to introduce her to my 2 other cats. It's now a month later and I still can not let her roam free in the house or one of my cats will torment her and attack her. My older one just goes the other way.
It seems that when the new one is in "her" room, my cat will be somewhat good, with sitting and just staring. He will still go after her sometimes. Anytime he sees her outside of the room he literally freaks out and basically seems like he wants to kill her. I had brought her out one night and was letting her roam and before I knew it he was fighting with her and he scratched her and made her bleed in 4 places. I just don't know what to do. I don't know if he's an "alpha" male or what. He gets along with my other cat, but we got him as a baby so she's all he's ever known. Which is what led me to adopt this one (see previous thread cat keeps attacking other one). He's very young and playful and I wanted to get him a playmate. But what makes it even more difficult is the new one is now terrified of him since he basically "beat" her up. She doesn't seem to stand up for herself. I think I've seen her swat at him a few times, but I wish she give him one good swat...lol maybe put him in his place. I just hate having to keep her locked in a bedroom most of the time. I let him in everyday so they can get used to each other, but I don't know if it's working.

Am I just being impatient?? Any advice or tricks to share? Help!!
I have to agree with some of the other posters - you just have to give it time. You may have some luck with Feliway - they make a diffuser you can plug into the outlet and it gives off cat pheremones which are supposed to be calming to the cats. Personally, I never had much luck with it, but it's worth a try. When hubby and I married we blended out cat families for a total of 19 (at that time - it's worse now!!) He had a little female cat that his other cats beat up regularly - every single day. We ended up buying a large cage (like they have at the pet stores) and putting her food, water, and litter box in it and we put it in front of a window so she could look outside. She was OK then as she realized she could sniff and visit them but they couldn't get to her. We found out last summer that she had a liver tumor and I now wonder if they "sensed" it or smelled it somehow and realized she was a "weakling" in their eyes and that make her a target. Unfortunately we had to put her to sleep as it was inoperable. I would just give it some more time, or try the cage thing at least temporarily. Good luck!!!!

Old 07-07-2011, 05:52 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon123478 View Post
i have two 3 year old cats i just got a kitten one of my cats get alone with him and the other forget it and now the one cat hates the new one and his brother what shoud i do
Hi Dragon, welcome to the forum. Just give it time. You can install some feliway plug in diffusers, make sure to give each cat plenty of attention, and let them work it out.

You should have four litter boxes for three cats and keep them clean. Have several water bowls throughout the house and make sure you have plenty of elevated perching spots for all the cats, cats like to be up high.

Your cats are young, and already used to living with other cats. All will be well, in time.

Rescue Remedy may help, too.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,425 times
I have two rescued Siamese. One we got 6 months ago at 8 months old....the newbee 4 months ago at a year and a half. They are both males, but the new guy tends to terrorize our young one. To the point that we just spent over $500 in vet bills because the young one had an extended bladder because he couldn't go to the litter box by himself because he was afraid of the new guy. We now have two litter boxes, one downstairs and one upstairs, but we have to moniter our young guy going potty because he's afraid of the older one coming in and wacking on him. Any suggestions on how to keep the "alpha" male in check? I don't want to swat him, but feel like doing it. How about a squirt bottle of water???? Can you train cats?? I'm a relatively new cat owner and don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats