U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 04:32 AM

14 posts, read 8,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Awwww, a mustache!
She does indeed have one and she rocks the heck out of it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I've been feeding a cat that comes in through my cat's door for a year. He still won'y let me get within 2 feet of him. He squats down and looks at me and when I put food down he waits until I back off a few feet then he eats.
Keep at it! I never thought my wee beastie would ever let me touch her, let alone not be the snugglepuss she has become. I think what really won her heart was when I bought some simple cat toys and started to engage her in play without touching her. Maybe one of those wands that have the feathers on the end and you can twirl it around whilst staying a few feet away? Just a thought!

Old 11-27-2020, 09:38 AM

7 posts, read 1,682 times
Interactive play is an effective & important tool to help break through to ferals.

I've got 4 living w/me, the wildest one is curled up on my lap as I type.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:17 PM

35,537 posts, read 64,804,098 times
Congratulations! She's adorable.

My husband and I tamed two semi-feral cats - they likely were born in a home, but were dumped outside as 6-month-old kittens. It took us 3 months to coax them inside, and another 2 or 3 months to get to the point where we could even touch them. We kept them in our basement at first (they were covered with fleas), and we'd take our dinner downstairs, sit on the floor and hang out for a few hours each evening. Eventually we were able to pet them while they ate, and gradually were able to hold them, etc. They turned into affectionate little lap cats - but still afraid of everything except us.

Have fun with your new family member!

Old 11-30-2020, 09:39 AM

3,462 posts, read 2,347,031 times
We have a feral who was estimated to be five years old when we brought her inside during below zero temps fifteen years ago. She had been hanging around our bird feeder for several weeks prior and DH started putting food out for her. We had to get a humane trap to catch her and it took several days.

She escaped out of the wire kennel we had put her in two night later. She found a weak weld and forced her way out! It took two of us to catch her in a 10x12’ bedroom for her first vet visit. She literally ran up and around the walls! She lived in that room for 3 months behind a futon and when we introduced to the rest of the house, she promptly went under the sofa and lived there, coming out at night.

Ferals are cautious: they don’t make noise and bury everything well for to hide any scent. They have to in order to survive. We heard this weird screeching sound one night and realized it was her finding her voice. She has no interest in balls or cat toys and viewed most of them with suspicion and still does.

We moved from NY to FL and she now stays in the bedroom/office/playroom during the day, only venturing out at night to the rest of the house. In the past eight years, she started coming out to be petted and if it’s too much, she escapes to under a table or into her wicker carrier. It began eight years ago when our grandson was learning to crawl and went into her wicker carrier with her. She always comes out whenever he is in the room, which is a lot since his Legos are in that room. She trusts him and also our two year old dog. She jumps on DH’s lap when he is on the computer and she wants petted. Actually she is pretty insistent about it. . Me? I cut her nails, brush her and take her to the vets. I’m viewed as okay, but a necessary evil, along with our other cat. The jury is still out on the new kitten yet.

She is twenty now and will always be cautious, that won’t change. My biggest disappointment is our enclosed screened pool cage. Our other two cats love it, it’s basically a huge catio and is the next best thing to being outside. I thought she would love it, but she immediately runs back inside as soon as she can whenever we have taken her out there. She has zero interest in it. She’s content with the window in her room.

We called her Prudence but she is now known as Prunes since that was what the grandkids could say when they were younger. We love her dearly, she is a gentle girl and we have learned to accept her cautious ways.

Last edited by jean_ji; 11-30-2020 at 10:09 AM..

Old 12-01-2020, 02:55 AM

I love reading all these stories! I didn't have a clue what I was doing since all my previous cats have been completely domesticated ones. Please keep the tidbits coming!

Old 12-20-2020, 08:12 AM

Oh, gosh! I must have some sort of cat grapevine here because another cat appeared wet and starving in the same bush where I found my feral cat. Super tame, super sweet and loves attention. We managed to get him to the vet and were told he is a perfectly healthy, neutered male, but no microchip!!! Is there anyone in North Yorkshire, U.K. missing an all-black male cat? He is lovely and he keeps coming in to sleep next to the radiator and eating food? I tried posting on Pets Located, but it seems no one is missing a cat in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats