U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2021, 01:05 PM

2,005 posts, read 1,723,236 times

Advertisements

Been awhile since I posted on this forum. We recently took in a stray cat. He's about a year old or so. He showed up at my job almost 2 months ago suddenly. I work at a car dealership on a busy street and it is no environment for a cat. I noticed some techs feeding him outside and then eventually the cat started coming into the shop. I have 2 cats at home, both rescues, and had canned cat food at work so I started feeding him outside.....eventually he would come to me for food and then he started coming into my dept from the open back door. He was starving everyday.I was able to feed him near my desk. He would eat and then leave. I managed to touch his head and nothing bad happened. I could not tell if he was feral, close to becoming feral or dumped. It was starting to get cold and I knew he would die if I did not do something. So with the help of a co worker, we caught him and she took him home and the next day her vet neutered him for me. My vet wasn't available due to covid. He was checked for everything and tested negative for fiv and leukemia. I took him home and gave him a spare bedroom for his base camp. My plan was to get him neutered, blood work done and then have a rescue group we know find him a home. We usually keep 3 cats as our maximum and in Sept one our died from cancer. We were going to stick with with 2 cats but once I took him home, he did not seem feral to us or the vet either. He never made a sound, never hissed or screamed or ears back......nothing. We decided to keep him. I put him in the room, opened up the carrier and he walked out and jumped on the futon and just sat there. Normally, when we bring home a new cat they hide under something. Not him. Later in the night he allowed us to touch him....but only his head. A few days later after realizing we bring him food he marked me. Then he started doing chirps when we opened the door and walked into the room. We kept him isolated, away from the other cats and went in to spend time with him......sitting....letting him see us.....not petting him too much and letting him learn to trust us. My wife brought in toys and he learned how to play and loved it! So we began the intros to the other 2 cats slowly. I had no idea if he was a fighter and if would go crazy seeing another cat. Nope. Submissive. Fast forward to letting him roam to the rest of the house. My calico is 16 and hates him, but she usually has a hard time whenever we bring a new cat in. She learns to deal eventually. Ozzy, my 7 year old orange tabby is not thrilled but curious. So the new cat likes to play and just tries to get someone to chase him. He's not mean but like any other young cat, they can get a little out of control. We are experienced cat owners and have always rescued cats but this is the first time I grabbed a full sized stray. Ozzy was 6 weeks old when we got him and we socialized him perfectly. He is a complete mush.....but also dominant. We named the new cat Theon after a character from the Game of Thrones show. He will swat at you or nip at you if you pet too long or if he is not in the mood so we are all learning boundaries still. He has not discovered that there is a front door yet and has not seen us come in or leave so I am hoping he wont try to run away. He is lean and fast. My hope is that he realizes he was saved and that he has endless food and warmth and that he wont miss outside.

So my questions are:
1. He has food anxiety. He was starving when I got him inside so I get it. I am wondering if it will ever go away?
2. He tries to get Ozzy to chase him constantly. Sometimes Ozzy will and other times, you can see he is annoyed and and then will run him down to his basecamp room. There's been no blood, no meows or hissing at each other. Looks like just everyone trying to establish boundaries. Do I just let them do their thing and monitor them? Sometimes we try to bring the toys out and get everyone involved. We always adopted mostly older cats and the intros were a lot easier. To be fair, Ozzy was a complete terror to my older cats when he was a kitten......and now the tables turned on him. Lol.

Because he was outside for a year up until 6 weeks ago, he has a lot to learn. Trying to eat dinner is a chore because once he sees or smells food, he wont leave you alone. He is starting to understand the word No.
Anyone have a similar experience and were able to socialize the cat?
Please note that he is sweet and not mean and very, very smart. We thought he might be feral but there's no way.

Last edited by gmdealerguy; 01-13-2021 at 02:21 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 01:57 PM

6,505 posts, read 5,206,320 times
To answer the questions:

1. Yes, will go away eventually from my experience. I have had some just were fanatic about food, especially human food, I have a current kitten that is still fanatic about human and cat food, will run around in a frantic to everyone's bowls, even though he has his own bowl, he just afraid of missing out, lol. But they eventually chill out by year two.

2. Yes, just monitor, let them do what they do. They will establish the hierarchy, Ozzy is the resident cat, so it is important to make him feel comfortable, reward him for the interactions, and never ignore him is favor of Theon for the time being. Seems if I read correctly, the introduction has been going quite well. There may be some hissing, arguments as you can say, lol, nothing to get excited about. Remember, it is important for all interactions, Ozzy think of them as positive.

I have over 20 cats, all of them were former homeless cats, most were adults or older teens when I brought them in.

Feral is a personality, not a status. I know "feral" is used to describe any homeless cat or dog, but my opinion it is not the best description, because it also describes a personality trait, which many homeless animals do not have. Many homeless animals are very friendly.

Theon is socialized, a turn key cat as you can say, lol. I have had the real ferals, semi-ferals to be more accurate, that I had to spend countless hours getting socialized to where I could even touch them. These cats ended up with me due to being permanently injured and unable to be on their own anymore.

Old 01-13-2021, 02:02 PM

68,663 posts, read 5,403,312 times
We have one cat, who was a starving kitten when we rescued her, & she still loves her food & has the belly to show it. She still likes to be in charge of the food bowls, so I don't think the food insecurity ever left her. But of course, all cats are individuals, so maybe your new baby will adapt. So glad he found a loving home. Hugs to you all.

Old 01-13-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
To answer the questions:

1. Yes, will go away eventually from my experience. I have had some just were fanatic about food, especially human food, I have a current kitten that is still fanatic about human and cat food, will run around in a frantic to everyone's bowls, even though he has his own bowl, he just afraid of missing out, lol. But they eventually chill out by year two.

2. Yes, just monitor, let them do what they do. They will establish the hierarchy, Ozzy is the resident cat, so it is important to make him feel comfortable, reward him for the interactions, and never ignore him is favor of Theon for the time being. Seems if I read correctly, the introduction has been going quite well. There may be some hissing, arguments as you can say, lol, nothing to get excited about. Remember, it is important for all interactions, Ozzy think of them as positive.

I have over 20 cats, all of them were former homeless cats, most were adults or older teens when I brought them in.

Feral is a personality, not a status. I know "feral" is used to describe any homeless cat or dog, but my opinion it is not the best description, because it also describes a personality trait, which many homeless animals do not have. Many homeless animals are very friendly.

Theon is socialized, a turn key cat as you can say, lol. I have had the real ferals, semi-ferals to be more accurate, that I had to spend countless hours getting socialized to where I could even touch them. These cats ended up with me due to being permanently injured and unable to be on their own anymore.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, going pretty well. My Calico is super sweet but turns into crazy cat in seconds as she is very territorial. Ozzy is taking it hard because he is very loving ,social and loves attention. I attached some pics of him.

Here's a quick video from his first day out of quarrantine and exploring the living room:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O5aDuLgrNA

Last edited by gmdealerguy; 01-13-2021 at 02:56 PM..

Old 01-13-2021, 03:02 PM

19,486 posts, read 11,971,428 times
Can't really give you any advice but that's a beautiful cat!

Thanks for caring.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:32 AM

4,508 posts, read 2,212,416 times
We took in a calico with terrible food insecurity and she's mostly over it.

We then got a gray kitten, the spitting image of your Theon, and they HATE each other - well no, the older cat hates the young gray kitten. So I monitor them closely, make sure they're separate if I leave them home alone and I sometimes catch them giving each other a look or sniff that doesn't involve hissing, snarling, yowling, swatting or any other evil thing. They have claws and teeth and if they wanted to hurt each other, they'd be hurt, but Grace (the kitten) will instigate a chase game, then roll over in surrender if it goes bad on her.

Even if they never become friends, they usually learn to co-exist with some "suggestions" on how to behave.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:29 AM

16,931 posts, read 2,159,865 times
Thank you for adapting the pint sized panther.
He will learn the meaning of no. Probably testing the waters right now.
Our's have an age difference of probably 8 years. ChaCha walks away when Izzi gets to pesky or just gives her a stout punch on the nose. No claws! Kind of "mouse go away". Izzy and Theon will establish their territories. Give everyone plenty of attention. Human using two DaBird at the same time will entertain a cat
He will learn that there is an unlimited amount of food. Please give him time. No treats off the table!

Old 01-14-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Thank you for adapting the pint sized panther.
He will learn the meaning of no. Probably testing the waters right now.
Our's have an age difference of probably 8 years. ChaCha walks away when Izzi gets to pesky or just gives her a stout punch on the nose. No claws! Kind of "mouse go away". Izzy and Theon will establish their territories. Give everyone plenty of attention. Human using two DaBird at the same time will entertain a cat
He will learn that there is an unlimited amount of food. Please give him time. No treats off the table!
We will give him plenty of time. Our last new cat was Ozzy and he 7 now. Luna the calico is 16. They are past their play times with new kitties these days......which is ironic because Ozzy was a complete pain to Luna and Emma. Emma left us in September from cancer. They all hated Ozzy back then.

Here's some pics of the team:
Ozzy the day we got him. He was 6 weeks.

Ozzy now.

Luna:

Emma

Old 01-14-2021, 01:22 PM

16,931 posts, read 2,159,865 times
Beautiful furries

Old 01-18-2021, 11:15 AM

2,703 posts, read 2,763,474 times
We also took in an adult stray, who was about 2.5 years old. She must have eaten 5-6 cans of Fancy Feast that first night. It took her about six months to realize that she didn't have to scrounge around for food anymore. For a while, she was even getting into the dishes and licking things like pancake batter! She knows the routine know and doesn't scrounge (well, except if we forget and leave something out).

It sounds like the introductions are proceeding as they should. I'd guess, in time, the younger ones will play together and leave your senior girl alone.

Thank you for taking him in. It's pretty rewarding to watch their personality emerge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats