Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 05:29 PM

2 posts, read 6,641 times

Advertisements

well, here I am trying to read up about this horrible thing. I felt two knots on her left backside, but they didn't seem to bother her and I just dismiss them as cysts. That was only two weeks ago. She then started to lay underneath my bed and not come out as she always did, and is now hissing, show I knew something was bothering her, but still wasn't sure if it was those two lumps i originally found. I'm sad as the vet told me today that my middle child (7 years old) has it and told me the options. Looking at the posts here, doesn't sound like it is something that is very positive for recovery. I don't want to put her thru the agony of an operation just for this thing to return in the future. I have some pain medication that the vet gave me to keep her comfortable. Not sure if my cat has had this for a while because she is pretty much down in the dumps and now so am I. The DR found two more small ones, so, this is making me believe that maybe she has had them longer than I am aware of. I will have to make a decision whether or not to keep her around an suffer, or do the right thing. What that is, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 06:18 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
So sorry for you and your fur baby. If the pain meds help and she is living her normal life, then she has time for you to make a decision. If they don't help and she is hurting, then it's time to do the right thing for her.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:26 PM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times
My heart goes out to you.

Our cat had this a year ago. http://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...rosarcoma.html

We opted for surgery, it's good we did and it appears the vet got all the material.

She's doing well now, we debate from time to time taking her to the University Vet Ctr for followup ultra sound or x rays.

Good luck with this, your post doesn't give many details so it's hard to tell how bad and what the surgery options are.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:55 AM

399 posts, read 2,253,055 times
My cat was 6 when she got her first fibrosarcoma tumor. At 6 years old, you just aren't prepared to deal with this.....even working at a vet and seeing it in others, I wasn't prepared to not help her fight it. I'm glad that we did the surgery, we really thought that it went well, but a year later she was fighting for her life and I probably made her extremely miserable trying to save her. I wish that I could redo that part and just put her down right then, but I was just in shock and desperate. I'm glad that I had that extra year with her. If I ever discover anything on my current cat I will do the surgery and pray......and if she ever appears ill, I'd most likely not go to heroics to try and save her but just put her down.

I'm sorry you got such terrible news....

Old 08-02-2009, 07:49 PM

698 posts, read 3,266,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsdb68 View Post
well, here I am trying to read up about this horrible thing. I felt two knots on her left backside, but they didn't seem to bother her and I just dismiss them as cysts. That was only two weeks ago. She then started to lay underneath my bed and not come out as she always did, and is now hissing, show I knew something was bothering her, but still wasn't sure if it was those two lumps i originally found. I'm sad as the vet told me today that my middle child (7 years old) has it and told me the options. Looking at the posts here, doesn't sound like it is something that is very positive for recovery. I don't want to put her thru the agony of an operation just for this thing to return in the future. I have some pain medication that the vet gave me to keep her comfortable. Not sure if my cat has had this for a while because she is pretty much down in the dumps and now so am I. The DR found two more small ones, so, this is making me believe that maybe she has had them longer than I am aware of. I will have to make a decision whether or not to keep her around an suffer, or do the right thing. What that is, I don't know.
We started dealing with this frustrating,maddening cancer a year ago. Our furbaby had her first surgery in August. Her vet said she thought she got it all and that it probably wouldn't return. Two months later it was back. She said she needed to do another surgery,but go deeper and get more muscle so it wouldn't return. Two months later it popped right back up. We all agreed it was best not to do another surgery because it would just come right back. She turned eighteen years old in May. Her vet didn't even give her her yearly shots because of her condition and age. The only problem is....if you don't remove the tumor,it ulcerates and bleeds and becomes infected which is what we're going through now. Her vet told me to cut a tube sock and put over it. I ask her what else could I do and she said nothing except a topical antibiotic. I have been using neosporin and also keep a pad on it. This type of cancer is not painful and does not metastasize to other organs according to her vet. She has never given her any pain medication. She said when she stops eating,then we'll know she's in pain and that it is systemic. She also said if the cancer doesn't get her,her kidneys will. She is still eating real good,but she's losing weight. She still does stairs and goes out on the screenroom and her bowels and kidneys are still working. There is nothing we can do except keep her as comfortable as possible. It's like she's in our "Hospice Care" now. As long as she has some quality of life,we're just going to keep on loving her,keep her as comfortable and happy as possible and let her do as she pleases just like hospice does for a person. Obviously,from our experience.....if they don't get it all the first surgery,it will definitely come back. However,no two cases are the same. Maybe you'll have better luck since yours is so much younger. You'll just have to go by your own instincts and what you feel is best. No matter what you decide,you have a long,hard road ahead of you and my heart goes out to you. Best of luck to you and your furbaby.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,641 times
thank you for all of your kind words. I have opted not to get the surgery. Seems like it comes back and do not want to put her thru that. Just trying to keep her comfy and once it gets real back, will put her down. I have come to grips about it. She isn't as spunky as she was, just sleeps and know that her back end is hurting her. Giving her pain meds right now but she isn't eating or drinking or using the litter box at all, from what I see, but today was the first time I did see her do that in a week, so she must be doing this while I'm sleeping. Just keeping an eye on her and then when the time comes, will put her down, as sad as I'll be.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:49 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times
I know a lady who took her dog to an oncologist vet and it saved her dog from cancer!

Old 08-05-2009, 10:52 PM

625 posts, read 1,881,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
How long did your cat live after it had surgery? How about your friends?
Ours is indoor cat as well. After two surgeries,.......
What do the surgeries cost?

My baby has gotten a lump deep in the tissue just below her backbone & a little ahead of her right hip. A year ago they wanted around $900 when it was a lot smaller than it is now. I just don't have the money and I cry about it nearly every day as we sit & cuddle. She's about 10 years old, I think, the vet thout she was probably 2 or so when I adopted her.

She's still pretty much her usual self & runs around outside when I let her out while I'm working in the yard & she still runs around, climbs trees, walks beside me when I walk around the block, snoozes in her favorite spots, and still likes to 'race' me from the garage (way at the far end of our lot, to the back steps. I think her R rear leg isn't as strong or steady as it used to be or compaired to her left side, because I see her favor it a bit when she thinks I'm not watching & when she jumps onto a chair or windowsill, she often falls short now. I think she's eating a bit less or maybe less each time, but more often, so it may be affecting her insides, too. She's the most affectionate & communicative cat I've ever had.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:07 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsdb68 View Post
thank you for all of your kind words. I have opted not to get the surgery. Seems like it comes back and do not want to put her thru that. Just trying to keep her comfy and once it gets real back, will put her down. I have come to grips about it. She isn't as spunky as she was, just sleeps and know that her back end is hurting her. Giving her pain meds right now but she isn't eating or drinking or using the litter box at all, from what I see, but today was the first time I did see her do that in a week, so she must be doing this while I'm sleeping. Just keeping an eye on her and then when the time comes, will put her down, as sad as I'll be.
You are making the right decision. Animals are not people.
They instinctually do not survive beyond their natural ability to do so.
It is not natural to put them through painful surgeries and drug therapies that they don't understand..
I respect them enough not to treat them beyond their ability to survive on their own.
Many people will disagree with me and that is OK, I respect their opinion too. We can agree to disagree.
One thing I feel very sad about, is why we pet lovers are so willing to spend our life savings to help an animal, but we turn our backs on fellow human beings. There are so many unwanted children out there, why are we unable to care for our own?
I am just as guilty. I know what motivates me, but I wonder sometimes what motivates others who haven't lived my life.
I am sorry for your sadness at the loss of your pet. You are doing the right thing in my heart.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:08 AM

698 posts, read 3,266,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Oaks View Post
What do the surgeries cost?

My baby has gotten a lump deep in the tissue just below her backbone & a little ahead of her right hip. A year ago they wanted around $900 when it was a lot smaller than it is now. I just don't have the money and I cry about it nearly every day as we sit & cuddle. She's about 10 years old, I think, the vet thout she was probably 2 or so when I adopted her.

She's still pretty much her usual self & runs around outside when I let her out while I'm working in the yard & she still runs around, climbs trees, walks beside me when I walk around the block, snoozes in her favorite spots, and still likes to 'race' me from the garage (way at the far end of our lot, to the back steps. I think her R rear leg isn't as strong or steady as it used to be or compaired to her left side, because I see her favor it a bit when she thinks I'm not watching & when she jumps onto a chair or windowsill, she often falls short now. I think she's eating a bit less or maybe less each time, but more often, so it may be affecting her insides, too. She's the most affectionate & communicative cat I've ever had.
The first surgery was $474.79 and the second was $246.55. It's worth it if it buys them some more time and they still have some quality of life. She has lived almost a year now since the first surgery and even though she is experiencing life a little differently than before,still enjoys living. As long as they have quality of life,we owe it to them to do all we can to preserve that life for as long as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats