U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-19-2008, 10:39 AM

3,859 posts, read 6,994,223 times

Advertisements

I am a nervous wreck right now-waiting for my vet to call back. For the last week my cat had been living in the litter box. He only got out to eat or drink. Last Thursday, I noticed a big red mark on his tummy. We took him to the vet and she did blood work and an exam. Diabetes, Kidney Failure and other things were ruled out. He is 13 and has had trouble jumping up lately and the vet believed it to be a bruise from missing his mark when jumping and he was in the litter box because of his pain.

He spent the weekend in the litter box and was eating, drinking and going to the bathroom. This morning he actually came out and stayed by me for a few hours. I was starting to be relieved. However, a few minutes ago he ran back in the litter box and started trying to eat and lick his litter! This is after eating his own food. I googled eating litter and what I read scares me.

I called my vet-spoke to the assistant and I am very nervously waiting to hear back. Anyone have experience with this?

I am a wreck-I cannot lose my furbaby!

Thanks-if you pray can you keep him in your prayers?

Nicolem
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 02:48 PM

48 posts, read 133,848 times
I'm not so sure about that red mark issue, but that's a sick kitty for sure. Please let us know what the vet says. You and your kitty have my best wishes.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:06 PM

4,189 posts, read 2,312,876 times
Poor thing-please let us know what the vet says. As far as living in the litter box my oldest did that when she was younger because of coccidia. Kudos to you for taking your baby to the vet though. Praying for kitty.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:17 PM

16,479 posts, read 31,244,927 times
Mine did that when she had kidney failure and my male when he had a urinary tract blockage, which can be fatal. I assume your vet has already checked for that? They use a tube (after numbing the area0 and go up into the kidney to make sure it is open. YUikes! I would be VERY unhappy but I guess guys go through this, too. Good luck!

Old 05-20-2008, 11:50 AM

Thank you so much lookaround, pushkinswife and SouthernBelleInUtah for your kind words.

I took him in this morning and had to leave him- I hate that. They examined him again when I was there and will be doing more blood work and x-rays. It broke my heart to leave him and now comes the waiting came Hopefully they will call soon.

Thanks again!

Nicolem

Old 05-20-2008, 05:54 PM

No problem! Please let us know when here back from the vet! Still praying for kitty...its hard not knowing I have been there.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:16 PM

OK so the x-rays were negative. The only thing that was seen on the x-rays was a hairball. He has hairballs a lot-as far as gagging but he never upchucks them. I got some cat laxative for that-he licks it off my fingers and it should help him pass it.

They took blood work. They had previously taken blood work on Thursday. Since then his white blood count has shot up. My vet says that means inflamation or infection. All the tests and exams have not shown anything else but the white blood count.

She gave him a shot for the pain for the bruises on his tummy. He is to be on an antibiotic for 7 days-twice a day. I am to take him back after antibiotic is done and to call if anything happens before then or if he gets worse.

Needless to say-he is mad at me for taking him. He is hiding under the bed-but that is certainly an improvement from sleeping in the litterbox!

Thanks for all the well wishes!

Nicolem

Old 05-20-2008, 07:42 PM

Poor thing most likely got an infection from his bruises. I am glad its nothing serious. Just keep a look out and monitor your baby. Don't worry about the attitude- they always forgive. Thats the joy of having cats- their sassiness and with mine- diva like tendencies

Old 05-21-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkinswife View Post
Poor thing most likely got an infection from his bruises. I am glad its nothing serious. Just keep a look out and monitor your baby. Don't worry about the attitude- they always forgive. Thats the joy of having cats- their sassiness and with mine- diva like tendencies
Thanks again.

Nicolem

Old 05-21-2008, 09:47 PM

48 posts, read 133,848 times
nicolem,

I'm happy to read that your vet ran blood work. The hairball issue isn't the cause of the high white count, but I'm sure your kitty will feel much better with the laxative! Antibiotics are a wonderful thing when needed! I hope this takes care of your kitty's problems and he's back to being a happy healthy guy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats