U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-18-2011, 10:10 AM

5,823 posts, read 11,429,214 times
We have three inside and three outside. The three outside are not capable of being inside cats anywhere. They are sweet, but not inside cat material. We tried with the young female and she refused to be kept inside. Also, the inside cats and the outside cats do not get along. The outside cats are much happier outside. I know it's more risky outside with cars and stuff, but there's really not much I can do. You can't really force a cat to be inside 24/7 if it does not want to.

It's not like I can really scold them for killing birds. I can't make them stop. I've tried one of them inside and it did not work. The momma would never be an inside cat. She's too territorial. I'm not sure the Tom would like it, either.

I agree that cats should be inside if possible. However, in this case, for these three, it is not possible, or at least very difficult. They don't like the inside life and they have made that very clearly known. Either I leave them outside and let them do their thing or I go out and dump them somewhere or put them down. They cannot be inside and they really can't be anyone else's cats. I didn't find them until they were two months old, so I'm the only person they know. Sometimes you have to make the best of the situation the way it is.

The neighbors don't seem to mind as I haven't gotten any complaints. And we still have plenty of songbirds. I agree in some places lack of birds is a problem, but it doesn't appear to be here. We live in a pretty rural area so I don't think my three cats are going to be a major issue. There are also other cats in the neighborhood.

In many ways cats are still wild animals. You can never take the hunting instinct out of them completely (especially for females I think) and sometimes it's not workable to take them out of the outdoors.

I do worry about them being outside. We have had cats get hit by cars in the past. However, with these cats in particular, there's just no way the indoor life would work. The personalities of them and the indoor cats just clash and we had Tilly inside for about a week and she would not stand it. I agree that, in most cases, indoor life would probably be best. However, it's not always the best situation in every case. Sometimes you have to compromise.

I may not be cat mother of the year, but I'm trying to work with what I've got.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 04-18-2011 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 04:14 PM

8,466 posts, read 11,826,146 times
I'm glad to have started Jack right off as an inside cat. So many things are easier that way. But, when Buffy was out, there would have been no keeping him in, no matter what. It wasn't until the third time he was run over that he went under lock and key and by that time he was a lot more docile having lost sight in one eye and suffered a lot of damage.

So the cats that find their way into our lives that are outside cats may just have to remain that way. Its certainly not for the best, but totally understandable.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:34 PM

1,397 posts, read 2,248,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post

So the cats that find their way into our lives that are outside cats may just have to remain that way. Its certainly not for the best, but totally understandable.
Our last feline family addition was an indoor/outdoor cat for 5 years. I really thought making her an indoor only cat was going to be a major struggle. Nope. She has no interest in going outdoors.
Some cats just go with the program, and some fight ya every step of the way. lol

Old 04-18-2011, 06:02 PM

1,345 posts, read 1,263,173 times
I just love looking at all of the kitty pictures... my new kitten will be with us soon. Can't wait!

Old 04-18-2011, 06:06 PM

1,345 posts, read 1,263,173 times
How do you train a cat to stay inside??? I have owned cats in the past, it was nearly impossible for them to keep them in. They would dart for the door every chance they got. The only cat that ever really liked it inside was a little older kitten stray that we found and I think that was because he was starving to death and was stuck outside for so long until we found him.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:31 PM

25,260 posts, read 16,421,672 times
you just do everything in your power to keep them inside. And if they get out you stop what you are doing and gather up the cat to bring him back inside. You don't chase them or scare the, you simply follow behind them until they get tired and then you put them inside and keep them there. It's not that hard. Even my indoor cats try to get outside from time to time and I follow my own advice. I've never let them stay outside more than the time necessary to get them back home.

One time Oscar actually spent a very cold night outside and I didn't even know it till I heard him the next morning. I thought he was with the kids. his tail was bushed out about 10x regular and boy did he have tales to tell. Since then , he hasn't been too interested in going out again.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:34 PM

5,823 posts, read 11,429,214 times
It may be that simple sometimes, but not all of the time. Our inside cats and outside cats just do not get along. If they even smell each other under the door there's usually some hissing going on. The inside cats are the worse perpetrators, as they are very territorial. If I brought momma cat in somebody would need medical treatment. That is for sure.

I think most cats can be successfully kept indoors, but that doesn't always work. Sometimes you work with the hand you are dealt.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:28 PM

441 posts, read 521,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
makes me sad to see people post pictures of dead birds. especially a beautiful song bird. please keep your cats inside.

anybody else feel the same way?
Not really, cats are hunters, its their natural instinct.

When I had outdoor cats where ever possible I remove the animal from my cat. I couldn't standby and watch. Most of the time the deed had already been done.

For me its part of being a cat owner, burying their quarry.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:37 PM

24,773 posts, read 27,778,402 times
Just a friendly reminder (putting on my old moderator's hat) - this thread is supposed to be for posting pics, and this indoor/outdoor discussion is getting a bit long! Maybe start a new thread to continue?

Old 04-20-2011, 08:50 PM

25,260 posts, read 16,421,672 times
But isn't it supposed to be for pictures of cats and not dead birds they have caught. Of course I know cats catch birds but I come to this thread to see wonderful cat pictures and not what they have killed. It really took me by surprise and ruined the nice feelings I come here for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats