Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 06:43 AM

622 posts, read 1,723,920 times

Advertisements

Those are not my Stats.. Truth be told the shelter and its location is unknown... it was posted on a pro claw website.

Pawsneedclaws.com.

From my personal experience de clawing has bad issues.. one group home woman suffered a serious cat bite at our Art job ( idiot group home de clawed her 2 cats) Doug our boss had to file a report, the cat bit me too but thankfully didn't break the skin, cat in question had jumping problems and was clearly unhappy..

One of my pca's wife had a de claw case where the cat was de clawed at 10 months (heathen landlord), now at the senior age of 8 the cat is nicer then she's ever been though again the cat is shy and a biter she also cannot or strongly doesn't want to jump a 2 inch increase on flooring in their new house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 12:57 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,536,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
Those are not my Stats.. Truth be told the shelter and its location is unknown... it was posted on a pro claw website.

Pawsneedclaws.com
That's what I mean about statistics. I was a teacher's assistant for a Statistics course. The teacher had a whole section about how statistics can be misused to prove just about anything. It sure made a boring class a whole lot more interesting!!! Always take the source into consideration.

Declawing should always be the choice of last resort. Personally, I'd rather be declawed and in a good home than on the street or dead.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:33 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
How often do you clean the box? I mean all the cat litter out, hose it down with disinfectant- a bleach solution is most likely best. Cats have a strong sense of smell, it could be that the box has worn it's welcome and either needs to be cleaned well or replaced. I use storage containers as litter boxes, basically because it's a lot cheaper than the actual "cat litter boxes". You might try a longer box too so it gives cats more room. I have a larger cat (she's long) and it seems to work better for her. I'm also meticulous about keeping the box clean. I hope that helps.
I agree..I also use those shallow, long storage bins for litter boxes. In fact, they work better than the "real thing", are easier to clean and last longer.

I see it this way..I hate using a dirty toilet and or bathroom and I'm sure my cats would feel the same way if i didn't clean out their boxes daily.

I will say that one of my male cats, when he doesn't get his way, such as coming upstairs when he wants will pee on the garage floor just to be spiteful.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:08 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,359,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
I agree..I also use those shallow, long storage bins for litter boxes. In fact, they work better than the "real thing", are easier to clean and last longer.

I see it this way..I hate using a dirty toilet and or bathroom and I'm sure my cats would feel the same way if i didn't clean out their boxes daily.

I will say that one of my male cats, when he doesn't get his way, such as coming upstairs when he wants will pee on the garage floor just to be spiteful.

I have one cat in particular that doesn't bury his business, and my other cat "The Maine Coon" likes to go in the Litter Box and play "Toss the Turd." She does her darndest to rip the plastic liner and also likes to fling kitty litter. We call her Shi**y Kitty. When I clean the litter box and trash the old liner with her deposits she swats me and gets upset that I am taking her precious droppings. I've never witnessed a cat who takes the litter box so personal. She always has to investigate when a cat goes into the litter box.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,284 times
my cat is 8 months old and has been unfortunatley uprooted from place to place bc of me being a college student (aptment to dorm to friends house to babysister and back to friend's house). i found her on the streets, shes vaccinated and fixed. she never (from the very beginning) has used the litter box. whenever i would see her urinating or pooping on the carpet i would interrupt her and bring her to the litter box. so now she doesnt like me picking her up bc she associates me picking her up with me bringing her to the litter. i feel like she probably has anxiety issues...anybody with suggestions on which anti anxiety meds are safe for my cat?

Old 01-23-2011, 04:00 AM

455 posts, read 1,238,528 times
This is an old thread, perhaps the mods can create a new thread for you.

I would suggest feliway plug in, which can help to calm a kitten/cat down. I would also crate her say through the night. I use very large dog crates/cages I have a base matress then donut pet beds on top, they have corner litter trays which take up less space, water and food bowls attach to the side of the crate to prevent spills. You can even add a cat scratcher that will attach to the side of the crate. I put a few toys in there too.

You need to thoroughly clean the carpet where she has toileted. I use Simple Solution you will be able to buy something similar in the US. I would place a litter tray where she frequently toilets and choose a quiet place to put a litter tray, they like to be private so I have bought two hooded litter trays.

Cats can be very choosey about the cat litter, this sounds really mucky sorry but it has to be said, soak up a wee from the carpet with a bit of newspaper and place it at the bottom of the litter tray, it will encourage her to toilet in her litter tray.

Dont use added scented liners etc..

Other members will be able to offer advice too, as there are lots of options its a case of whatever works use it (trial and error).

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats