U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-30-2008, 02:48 PM

1,188 posts, read 3,255,347 times
Question What does this cat bx mean?

For the last couple years of our 15 y/o Siamese life (Merlin-deceased as of 2006) he would wander around the house and make this bellow of a meow. We often joked he had sundowners syndrome but now our 10 y/o male (Doobie) has started occasionally doing the same thing with the loud meow. It's not like Doobie is looking for anyone b/c we are typically in the living room...but it's almost as if this is some sort of call out. I don't know...cat's bx's seem much harder to interpret than our dogs. Doobie is in good health. Merlin did have CHF during the last 6 months of his life. Any cats folks know what this type of meow means?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 10:04 AM

1,664 posts, read 3,022,827 times
My cats do this when they are playing with sparkle balls sometimes. The are actually holding the ball in their mouths while they howl. Someone told me it is what a mother cat does when she catches food for her kittens to call them to dinner, but my male cats do it too.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:20 AM

7,138 posts, read 9,145,449 times
My cat is part Siamese (and part lynx) and she will do this low bellow occasionally, it seems when she sees a bird or squirrel in the trees outside the deck. Maybe it is an agressive signal to them? I just tell her to "stop that" in a stern voice, and she does! Then meows contritely like a little kitten. She has been thoroughly checked by the vet recently and also in very good health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats