U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 12:17 PM

650 posts, read 3,835,233 times

Advertisements

Recently, we got a new cat toy that our cat absolutely loves. And even better, I enjoy playing with this toy immensely--it's more interesting than the usual cat toys. It's really fun to use, so I've been giving our cat extra play time, which she loves. I probably play with her at least 30 minutes per day, often more. That's just play time, though. I give her lots of attention and cuddling in addition.

How much time per day is an ideal amount of play time? How much do you play with your cat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 11:25 AM

10,593 posts, read 22,648,902 times
It depends on which one your talking about. I make time for each of them but we have a baby right now and I make sure he gets ALOT of attention. He even sleeps with me.

Some of the other cats are jealous so I make sure they get their one on one time with me.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:49 PM

4,189 posts, read 2,311,978 times
I used to play with them alot when they were kittens. Since I got my second cat my oldest is always entertained so I don't have to play with them as much. I do make sure each gets "cuddle" time starting with the alpha cat first when I get home from work. I also make sure I am petting them and loving on them often. I also play peek-a-boo with them. I will go to one room and look at them around the corner and come back really fast. I keep doing this until they are almost at my location...they will come to me while i am not "visible" and then freeze when i peek around the corner again.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:02 PM

12 posts, read 38,543 times
I have one cat, and usually play with him at least 15 minutes a day (busy weekdays), and up to an hour (sometimes more on the weekends) depending on if he goes outside that day. His active times have evolved to my schedule, so we usually get some play time in before work, after work, and before bed. He is most active right before I go to bed. If I go straight to bed without playing with him, he "cries" for a few minutes, and brings his ball into the bedroom, where I find it the next morning (Oh the guilt!). He likes to play hide and seek, so we run all over the house chasing and hiding from each other. He gets bored of the laser pointer, so I have to be an active player in the games...no sitting on the couch (as much as I really really really don't want to get up sometimes), I'm happier if I know he's happy.

Doglover - what is the new toy you've found? I'm always looking for new ideas...

Old 06-15-2008, 05:44 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,423,360 times
I don't as much now. With two cats they keep each other busy. But, my female will bring her toys to me to play. THeir feather toy hasn't been out in ages though. I really need to get it out now that I think about it..

Old 06-16-2008, 10:25 AM

25,584 posts, read 32,355,085 times
What's this wonderful toy?

I play with them as much as they want. There are cat toys all over our house, so if I walk past one, I'll pick it up and toss it their way. If I get a response, I'll stop what I'm doing and play with them for a few minutes, longer if I can. I'm often late for work because of an extended play session.

But they get a lot of entertainment from sitting in the windows. There's a robin's nest on the trellis on the front porch, two dogs next door, bird feeders throughout the yard, and a parade of groundhogs, rabbits, squirrels, neighbors' cats, skunks, etc. that come through on a regular basis.

And when they're bored with that, they'll plop down in front of the TV for Meerkat Manor or a good hockey game.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:10 PM

23,443 posts, read 17,985,044 times
My kitties usually indicate to me when they wanna play, I am SUCH a cat slave! So thats what I usually go by. I play until they are over it, fresh catnip from the garden is always fun......

Old 06-16-2008, 10:52 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,648,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
My kitties usually indicate to me when they wanna play, I am SUCH a cat slave! So thats what I usually go by. I play until they are over it, fresh catnip from the garden is always fun......
Just one more thing we have in common. A friend was laughing at me earlier and told me I was p***y whipped because of how I cater to my kitties.

My little man is at this moment annoyed with me because of the moving around I am doing with the computer because he is trying to sleep on my chest.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:40 AM

7,138 posts, read 9,452,649 times
My cat is not very playful, but occasionally likes to bat her various toys around the floor. She spends much time on the deck staring and making noises at the birds and squirrels in the trees overhead. But daily I spend about 15 minutes petting her, combing her, talking to her. She loves having her head "scratched" and will butt her head into my hand to signal she wants affection, especially early in the morning. Most of the time though she doesn't want to be bothered, and I tell her, "just 5 minutes out of your day is all you have to spend, and the rest of the day is yours". Sometimes is not reasonable to her and she will claw to get down, other times she will lay there passively (but not often!).

Old 11-27-2011, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 15,755 times
Default Perpetual kitten for playtime

I am surprised how long my cat likes to play each day. Before the coffee is poured he's usually sitting in his play area staring at me. I put my coffee on the floor and start with the feather on the stick and then throwing balls around the apartment. He's two and still as active as when I got him at 6 mos. I make sure he has lots of places to jump up on and windows to look out of -- no restrictions! I thought over time his need for play would taper off, but it has not and if I don't play he meows and stares at me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats