U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-15-2008, 01:01 PM

72 posts, read 150,981 times

Advertisements

why do cats make their eyes big when you stare at them for a long time, then they get up and run away and act mad at you for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 04:45 PM

4,189 posts, read 2,312,876 times
Not sure if I have ever experienced this with mine. However, both my cats dilate their eyes especially if they are in what i call "berserk" mode. They run around all crazy. They also have this at night "black eyes" to adjust for the change in light.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:22 AM

25,597 posts, read 32,377,539 times
Cats don't like to be stared at. They take it as a sign of hostility.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:33 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,656,377 times
I have a grey and white tuxedo cat who makes her whole eye really big and round when she is surprised but not affraid.

For example, I have a screened in porch on the back of my house. Here in Florida they call it a Lanai, they often have a door from the Master bath or one of the bathrooms leading out to the lanai just in case someone has a pool, then wet people don't have to walk through the house.

WELL, the first time she saw that open, her eyes got as big as saucers and her neck got longer, she was so shocked that she could come in that way.

I saw her do it again last night when I was out in the garage, I don't let the cats out there and she saw the door standing open. It was so funny to see.

Check out my pets photo album on my profile, Willow is my kitty with the oh so big eyes.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:33 AM

7,138 posts, read 9,455,674 times
Yes, I think they take staring as a sign of aggression, and is the technique used in the wild to stare down the enemy before attacking. As aggressive as my cat can be, I do stare at her for long periods and she doesn't seem to mind. She will slowly close her eyes and open them, which I have read means a sign of good will and mutual understanding, etc.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:40 PM

1,271 posts, read 1,414,254 times
You mean like this?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats