U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do I a condo owner get approval for a cat from 'the board'
How best to approach this request. 0 0%
Any suggestions? 1 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,363 times

Advertisements

I want to request 'the Board of Directors' to change the present by-law which does not allow dogs nor cats for the unit owner. Please suggest how I do this. Are there specifics I should mention and what are they? Would my request be considered an addendum or change to the by-law?

Many thanks. Most appreciated.

Steffee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 07:08 PM

10,716 posts, read 30,735,655 times
I wasn't aware that in a condo that you OWN they could tell you that you can't have an indoor pet. As long as you don't let the cat out to wander how is it any of their business?

Does anyone know about this?

It doesn't make sense to me.

I would check in the states laws regarding condo associations.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:11 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,068,825 times
My thoughts exactly. Weird. Never heard of such a thing.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:42 PM

2,317 posts, read 4,532,074 times
I lived in a condo/townhouse for 21 years and have 2 cats,what kind of rules are these!cats and dogs allowed...anyway if your place does not allow them
the way I would present it is...cats are very clean intelligent animals that
need very little maintenance,besides feeding and changing litter,they do
not make noise(like barking) and are good companions to people and
are good for a persons health to have such a pet...I just can't believe the
place won't allow cats...best of luck to you...

Old 06-19-2008, 08:15 AM

2,467 posts, read 11,052,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I wasn't aware that in a condo that you OWN they could tell you that you can't have an indoor pet. As long as you don't let the cat out to wander how is it any of their business?

Does anyone know about this?

It doesn't make sense to me.

I would check in the states laws regarding condo associations.

Sorry, they sure can tell you what you can and can't own! That's why you need to check the rules before you move in to your place.

I would just approach the board and ask them. We have 4 cats and a dog and are buying a place. We just have to get the boards approval in writing.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:21 PM

11,990 posts, read 29,387,243 times
I would not buy...there are lots more condos out there...please for your animals keep looking.

IF you had 1 cat or 1 dog you could get your doctor to say it is a service animal...But 4 cats & 1 dog no way.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:32 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,090,299 times
It's a legal matter: this is why you read -- and understand -- every word in a condominium's Rules and Regulations document before you purchase. As stated above, if the Condominium Rules and Regulations contain a term stipulating that animals are not allowed, then that is legally binding on ALL of that condominium's owners AND tenants. The R&R were drawn up to comply with the state laws governing condominiums; every condominium has an attorney as consultant, part of whose job is to make certain the condominium is in compliance with state law.

You can write a letter to the Board, you can go to the next Board and owners' meeting and be recognized and start a discussion, you can collar in a friendly manner any member of the Board and chat -- and I assure you you will not be the first to do so, and all the reasons that have been amassed over the years will be in the Board's response to you.

There are many reasons for not allowing animals -- health, noise, dirt, other owners' fear, etc etc. Having served for many years on a condominium board, I must tell you that anything NOT specifically prohibited in the R&R might, in time, with lots of documentation, discussion, compromise, etc., be approved. But anything specifically prohibited in the R&R is probably going to take an act of Congress to get approved, because if they were to change the R&R, how would they deal with "grandfathering" all the owners who bought before you?

Old 06-19-2008, 11:55 PM

24,671 posts, read 54,575,072 times
The posters have answered your question. Condo associations have Boards who decree what is and is not permitted for owners whether it be a question of pet ownership, BBQ grills, parking, noise, etc.

If you have a problem with the condo board's rules and regulations where pets are concerned then you shouldn't move in there. The condo owner's board sets the rules and any attempt at trying to change those rules is going to be next to impossible and at best will take many months to even be considered at a board meeting. Cheers!

Old 06-22-2008, 10:39 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,438,902 times
Get your physician and maybe even get your SHRINK to write a letter that you have a mental condition (they are NOT required to disclose what that specific problem IS) and need to have this companion animal for your mental health. This has worked in NYC.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:34 PM

11,990 posts, read 29,387,243 times
Will only work for 1 she has 5.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats