U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-30-2008, 08:33 PM

10,347 posts, read 10,796,143 times

Advertisements

My Maine Coon cat, a hefty 22 pouder, has a big, oily coat. It doesn't seem to be a result of his food, as I've tried several high quality foods and nothing seems to improve it.

His litter mate, a puny 18 pounder, has a beautiful, shiny, sleek coat - a bit shorter than his brother, but still long. It stays in great condition.

They both eat the same food (both dry and wet). I've tried Innova, Wellness and a couple others. The canned food is mostly Friskies loaf, though they get canned Wellness and Innova also.

Any ideas why his coat is so oily?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 10:01 PM

1,271 posts, read 1,414,254 times
I'd recommend taking him to a vet to have it checked out and some blood tests done, especially since they are both eating the same food and only one has the oily coat. It could be a thyroid issue.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:33 PM

13 posts, read 64,641 times
his oil glands are prob. to active....my old cat was the same way....we fed him hidden valley ranch dressing on any human food he got and it made him shiny.....ranch is very good for the coats....

Old 07-08-2008, 03:49 PM

10,347 posts, read 10,796,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryssy View Post
his oil glands are prob. to active....my old cat was the same way....we fed him hidden valley ranch dressing on any human food he got and it made him shiny.....ranch is very good for the coats....
That's very interesting...How does that reduce the oily glands?

Old 07-08-2008, 04:02 PM

13 posts, read 64,641 times
I really am not sure...some ingredient... I asked my vet if that was safe and he said yes....I went away for 2 weeks came home and the sitter didnt give him ranch and he was oily beyond belife.... so i started him on it again and it went away again....

Old 07-08-2008, 07:09 PM

7,862 posts, read 12,623,486 times
Very often an oily coat is NOT a good sign. My poor old Mickey (also a Maine Coon) had that when he was very ill. Too ill, I think to clean his coat.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:15 AM

150 posts, read 528,651 times
Main Coons normally have oily coats and this is to shed water/snow when they are outside (in the wild) - it's just a genetic thing for them and Norweigan Forest cats. If you have a Main Coon read up on the breed My two big guys coats shine and they ARE NOT sick by any means. Heavens don't give them any salad dressing!

Old 07-09-2008, 07:10 AM

111 posts, read 245,855 times
Default Thyroid

Could be an overactive Thyroid. Prior to my cat being diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism his coat was very oily. Some cats lose a lot of weight with hyperthyroidism, but mine didn't lose an ounce. A CBC blood panel will show any abnormalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats