U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 10,485 times

Advertisements

It turns out she had tonsilitis. After 2 weekly antibiotic shots, she is back to normal, eating & purring now.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 04:11 AM

1 posts, read 5,948 times
i have the same prob my kitten 11 week doesn't eat and rarely drink water
and if she drinks water she vomited after
first she vomited white foam and today she vomited green foam i took her the vet she gave her
couple of shots and no think happened im very worried about her

Old 06-20-2011, 11:46 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,144,095 times
Are you o.k. you can post here or DM me?

Old 10-19-2011, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 8,897 times
I have been reading everyone's post and really need help. I have a 5 year old cat and she stopped eating or drinking. Took her to the vet. And as you know how worried they make the situation sound like and that cost me $500 - 3 days in emergency with water being pushed into her for dehydration, then x-ray , bloood tests, AD food to take nack home. Dont ask us how muc it costs. I dont care about that part but the result of all this was ..nothing came out in x-ray or blood test (except for some enzyme level low) and my cat is the same after a month now. Not eating, throwing foaming liquid out of her mouth and she is yellow everywhere. I have been working hard on her trying to force feed her water and food for the last 1 month. But it gets tough because with kids and now a cat and I am a working lady...it's really getting tough. Can anyone pls help me understand what can be done? I never expected this to ever happen to her and us. I really NEED HELP.I can't go ON.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,613 times
my 16 week old kitten is vomiting doesent want to eat or drink any ideas

Old 01-26-2012, 07:43 PM

9,918 posts, read 19,683,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknight6977 View Post
my 16 week old kitten is vomiting doesent want to eat or drink any ideas
You can try changing food perhaps, could be some kind of sensitivity, but after it gets to a couple days of not eating (if it hasn't already) you're going to need to get him or her some vet attention. Never hurts to err on the side of going to the vet, if you can. If the kitten has just vomited once and doesn't want to eat after that, that could just be a passing issue (gobbles food too fast, reaction to switching food suddenly, etc.) but if we're already talking a day or more it's probably time for vet even then.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:18 PM

9,038 posts, read 13,887,070 times
If the cat is vomiting, the last thing you want to do is give it food! Let it's poor digestive system rest. As long as it has water it can go weeks or longer without food. You can provide nutrients by making the chicken broth in Anitra Frazier's book and also learn about the restorative and calming effects of Slippery Elm.

The only thing I'd let a conventional vet do is examine that cat and rehydrate it. Unless there is something stuck in the digestive tract that an x-ray reveals, when the vet starts talking about drugs or surgery you should look for safer natural alternatives ie as described in the many good books on Naturopathic care or Homeopathic Medicine. Homeopathic medicine, ESPECIALLY, is good for small pets as it is not as strong as herbs-(which are still less strong than drugs). However Homeopathy is a mystery to most people - even those who think they have a good grasp of natural medicine often have no idea what it actually is. The good news is with a good guide, you can't hurt your cat and you could do a lot of good using homeopathic remedies. Also the remedies themselves are cheap.

The bottom line is, just like with medical doctors for humans, conventional vets are only trained in allopathic medicine (drugs, surgery, diagnostics and acute care). They have precious little understanding of methods to improve chronic and degenerative conditions or how to restore health or prevent diseases. The honest ones will be the first to admit it. That means if you want your cat to live a long healthy life, don't think for a minute that your vet has all the answers. THEY DON'T. But the answers are out there for you! You just have to find them. Conventional vets may have the answers for 25% of what your cat might need IF THAT. So get educated and don't expect the vet to have all the answers. He or she has been very narrowly trained.... but not to worry! You can take up the slack and your cat will be the healthier for it as will your pocket book!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 5,172 times
my 6month old male kitten vomited a HUGE meal on sunday, half of it wasn't chewed up. he ate very little monday am around 1030 and got sick that evening around 630; this time most of it was luquid and a hairball. i cleaned out his litter box to keep track of bathroom use. here it is tuesday; i put soft food out for him which he's had in the past, and just licked up the "sauce" used and left the chunks. so later on in late afternoon, i offered a few tablespoons of hard food, with very little beef broth, just trying anything to get him to eat something!! he took very few bites, noticing he was taking his time eating and chewing up every little piece. he is a very sensative kitten, always kisses, and suckles on my neck and my boyfriend's neck as well. i offered 3 treats to him just so he would have something in his belly! he ate those and then i offered it again a few hours later, and nothing! that's NOT like him. he seems very tired and lazy this evening as well. i know it may seem like i'm worried over nothing, but he's very special to us; i even helped deliver him!! with him being a sensative cat, could he's just be "scared" to eat be he vomited twice?! silly quesation, i know, but when he did it the first time, he meowed and seemed scared. PLEASE HELP!!! should i make an appointment and see if he has an upset stomach??!!!

Old 11-07-2012, 02:18 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,144,095 times
I don't think your worried over "nothing". Anytime a cat isn't eating "normally" it needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.
Contrary to the post above yours, a cat can't safely go "weeks or longer" without food. Cats are different, they can develop an irreversible condition, called fatty liver disease if they go longer than 24 hours without food, or, apparently, if they just don't eat "enough" to keep this metabolic process from occurring. I have no idea how one would determine how much is "enough" for their cat, but since your cats eating habits have changed drastically you must take them to a vet, maybe not an emergency visit at this point, but tomorrow during office hours if you can get an appointment, so it doesn't become an emergency.
Anatomy, Behavior, & Diseases of Cats & Kittens

You should also start a new thread to get help specifically for you, but that Doesn't mean you can wait for more unprofessional, though probably knowledgeable, opinions before going to the vet. You must take your cat to a vet. I would do it tomorrow if possible, But, WHERE you take them will be very important.
Not all vets are equally effective.
I will follow up this post with my suggestions for selecting a vet.
Things veterinarians don't want you to know

Until this problem is resolved, I wouldn't get any vaccinations done. Flea, tick, heart worm treatments can further burden a stressed immune system, so, unless they directly treat his current problem, or he is infested, I personally wouldn't let them be administered.
I bring this up because, many/most vets, Especially chain animal hospitals, push vaccines (that could be considered unnecessary depending on that cat's lifestyle) and flea treatments, and prescription foods (that have questionable ingredients for an obligate carnivore) because it is (perhaps, outdated) protocol and it is a way to make their practice more profitable.

Last edited by leanansidhex; 11-07-2012 at 02:37 AM.. Reason: add

Old 11-08-2012, 04:15 AM

9 posts, read 15,589 times
Take her to the vet ..........Hope all will be right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats