Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 11:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,745 times

Advertisements

I have a cat that got his first UTI at 7 years old. Since then, I've taken precautions. Firstly, he is a water cat. I used to let him drink out of the faucet. No more. I bought a cat fountain and I only used distilled water with it. I do not trust the water in this town. My kettle is white with minerals after a week!! I Don't trust the water on the insides of my furry buddy. I also fed him purina urinary tract health formula. He's been on it for 4 years now with no problem. However!!!! Wet food, as much as I read into it, is the way to go. So, within the last couple weeks, I've been adding wet food to his diet. He is the most stubborn cat that I thought would never eat wet food. I sprinkled some of his dry food on top and, with some coaxing, he started eating it. He is 11 now and has not had another bout with a UTI. When he first got it, he had a complete blockage. So, I highly recommend a cat fountain with distilled water only. Plus, either wet food or a urinary tract formula food. Also, LOTS of playtime!! It de-stresses a cat. Plus, a cats natural cycle is hunt, eat, groom, sleep. Playtime before feeding is a great idea. Also, only feed twice a day. Leaving food out constantly is no good. 4 years later, my cat is doing great after his UTI. And I'm psyched I have FINALLY got him eating wet food. I still think distilled water and a fountain is one of the major keys. So, I thought I'd just share with what has worked for me and my fur ball. Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 02:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,660 times
I have an older cat, almost 18. She is pretty healthy but lately has been peeing outside the litter box. At first for at least 2 weeks I thought maybe she's getting senile and making mistakes. The funny thing is she also uses the litter box. I have been going through paper towels like there's no tomorrow. I took her to the vet 2 days ago and a urinalysis was done. The vet said the cat had blood in her urine and diagnosed her with a bladder nfection. A injection of antibiotics was given. This is the second day and she is peeing on the floor n big puddles just like before the antibiotic injection she got 2 days ago.how long does it take to see a bladder infection go away after treatment with a shot of antibiotics and why is she peeing outside the box?????

Old 08-17-2014, 07:57 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildorchid669 View Post
I have an older cat, almost 18. She is pretty healthy but lately has been peeing outside the litter box. At first for at least 2 weeks I thought maybe she's getting senile and making mistakes. The funny thing is she also uses the litter box. I have been going through paper towels like there's no tomorrow. I took her to the vet 2 days ago and a urinalysis was done. The vet said the cat had blood in her urine and diagnosed her with a bladder nfection. A injection of antibiotics was given. This is the second day and she is peeing on the floor n big puddles just like before the antibiotic injection she got 2 days ago.how long does it take to see a bladder infection go away after treatment with a shot of antibiotics and why is she peeing outside the box?????
Did the vet not do blood work? At your ca'ts age, a UTI is often an indication of kidney disease, as is "big puddles" of urine.

Did your vet use Convenia? Not the best antibiotic for UTI, though expensive and "easy".

Take your girl back and ask for blood work. Also, cats with UTIs should be given pain medication, buprenex usually, to help the cat cope with the pain of the UTI, while waiting for the antibiotic to work.

She is avoiding the box because peeing hurts her, and she blames the box for the pain.

Last edited by catsmom21; 08-17-2014 at 08:54 AM..

Old 08-17-2014, 10:53 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Snickers just had one. He was going back and forth to the litter box, and there were only tiny spots of urine in it. I immediately called the vet, and he went in at 2:30. The vet took a urine sample, put him on Clavamox 2x daily, and sent us home. I couldn't afford the bloodwork that day, but will be taking him back for it. The vet called me the next morning, and said that is WAS a UTI.

I put the Clavamox pill in his food, and he eats it that way. The vet also suggested adding water to his food, which I am now doing. He's doing fine, and has four more pills to take, and he's done.

The vet also said that he thinks Snickers' age is between 15-16 years. I didn't get him as a kitten, and he adopted me in April of 2008.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:21 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
I've had to treat my ladycat Angel for uti/bladder infection a couple of times in recent years. My vet put her on Clavamox (21 days worth), and usually it took 5 to 7 days to see any improvement in urine output. In her case the infection was preventing normal urination. What you're describing sounds more like my senior guy Stormy (17 yrs old), who has reduced liver/kidney function. He eliminates a lot of urine and leaves quite large clumps in the box. But he doesn't urinate outside the box (yet anyway).

To answer your question, it takes a few days for antibiotics to start working. But as Catsmom said, you need to have a blood panel run to see if there's anything else going on.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:11 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaGoHome View Post
oh yeah and i forgot to add. . . once the uti is taken care of by the vet, you'll want to up his water intake. more wet food, putting a little water in his dry food, more water in general.

cats are weird with water. they don't have a really high sense of thirst, so getting them to drink can be darn near impossible. I've found that cats really like things that are "new." Notice how kitty has a lot of interest in something if you move it across the room. Haha. So, to trick them, I put the water bowl in a new spot everyday. It peaks their interest and then they end up drinking. Haha. Love them to pieces :-)

I add ice cubes to our cat's water. He chases them around the bowl, licks them, then ends up drinking the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats