U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-11-2008, 08:12 PM

2,746 posts, read 9,785,490 times

Advertisements

Hi all;

About 5 weeks ago I posted about a stray that gave birth in my car. Well.... 2 of the litter didn't make it, and the other 2, the neighbor took in and bottle fed. The mom was feeding them but they weren't gaining and she wouldn't let the neighbor handle them...... so the neighbor took them and they've been feeding them goat's milk (diluted) round the clock ever since. They've apparently done well.

I told the neighbor I'd take one if they survived... and today she brought the kitten over. She's about 5 weeks old and according to the neighbor, eating softened kitten food and baby cereal mixed w/goat's milk. I wasn't expecting this just yet!

I am not sure about this... she wouldn't eat softened kibble when we tried it (same stuff neighbor was feeding her) but she did eat a little of the cereal/goat's milk mixture.

I have a bunch of questions... I've had cats always but all were weaned by mom.

As for right now though: since she's 5 weeks old do I need to worry about getting the kitten formula vs. goat's milk?

Should she be drinking water yet?

Are there better things to feed her? What about baby food meat...? Or should I get some and mix it with something else?

How much of whatever should she eat and how often? The neighbor says they don't eat at night anymore (this one or her litter mate)...

Do I still need to make her poop? Neighbor says she saw her pooping on her own a couple times so I guess not?

How much time will be spent sleeping (so I know what is normal)?

Temperature? How warm/cool should her environment be and where should she sleep?

I'm a little freaked out and scared. She's so tiny! Seems healthy though.
Please advise and reassure me! This baby will be my son's cat...(he is almost 11)... I want to make sure she's healthy and stays that way of course!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 01:19 AM

631 posts, read 294,815 times
I f you dont know what your doing than take it to a shelter or a pet hospital asap.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:01 AM

8,809 posts, read 15,204,520 times
About Cats - All About cats and kittens - Cat Care - Cat Behavior - Cat Health

I think that site should help. Its a good thing, taking in the kitten. They are so darn sweet. >^.,.^<

Old 08-12-2008, 06:09 AM

1,890 posts, read 974,175 times
When I found my cat in the alley, I immediately took her to the vet.
She was approximately 5 weeks old too. She was sooo tiny, she fit in the palm of my hand.
She was a little malnorished and covered in flea dirt. The vet put her on kitten formula/milk. The vet gave me the formula. After about 4 days I started to give her kitten wet food also. After about 6 days she didn't want anything to do with the milk and ate the wet food only. Just make sure the kitty only gets "kitten" food. the adult food is too hard on their stomach.

10 months later, she's a healthy happy cat. She's already bigger than my 3 yr old cat!

Old 08-12-2008, 08:16 AM

9,775 posts, read 24,203,672 times
A vets visit is never wasted! First take her to the vet to be checked out. Eventually, she will need her first vacs anyway...in about 3 weeks or so.
At 5 weeks, she does not need stimulation for a bowel movement.
Yes, she should be drinking water.
At 5 weeks, if she is very tiny...she should weigh around 1.5 give or take...I would get her some kitten milk replacement. But keep in mind, anything new given to her could upset her stomach.
I would keep her on what ever your neighbor was doing, but slowly introduce her to a high quality kitten chow. IE Royal Canin kitten or baby cat dry food. Wet it down for her. Make it available to her 24/7.
If you notice she is NOT drinking water, you might add some wet food to her daily food intake. Just to get some liquid into her. Don't want her de-hydrated.
Remind her of the litter box and where it is. She did not have Mom around to teach her...
She should sleep ALOT! Kittens normally, eat, sleep, play for a short while and then crash.
Temp. should be what is comfortable for you. Have a small bed or towel or blanket where the kitten can cuddle into it. They like small cozy places. Don't be upset if she turns up her nose on the new bed and opts for a spot under the couch or bed. It is what kittens do!
Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 08-16-2008, 06:46 PM

2,746 posts, read 9,785,490 times
Just wanted to thank everyone for responding, and to report that she's doing VERY well! We weren't expecting her so soon. I really thought the neighbor was going to keep her until normal "weaning" time (i.e. 8 weeks)... so we weren't prepared financially, but we're taking her to the vet as soon as we have the money which will be in a couple more weeks anyway, in time for first shots and all.

She's sooooo cute and playful, and my son has named her "Mika", which means 2 things in Japanese; "beautiful smell" and "new moon". His reasoning was the new moon as she's white with spots of cream and pale gray.

We've kept her on what the neighbor was feeding her but also with some good quality kitten food like suggested. She isn't drinking water much.. she sticks her face in the dish from time to time though or puts her paw in the water then licks her paw. We mix a bit of the goat milk and water (it's the evaporated kind) and soften the kitten food with that.

Oh and she's already using the litter box 100% of the time and we got her some toys and made a "playpen" for her by clearing out my son's closet then blocking the doorway with a sideways board. Hard to explain but it's a wide closet that was added on later so it is like a partition of the room, really, with a wide doorway, about 4 ft wide and 3ft deep.. and he put some small stuffed animals in there that she sleeps with. Too cute!!

I have to laugh... at the level of care she needs, feeding frequently, being played with, loved on, having her litterbox changed, being cleaned when she gets food on her paws and face, I don't think I have to worry about my son (almost 11) EVER taking the risk of being a teen parent! He is amazed at how much work she requires and says he can't imagine what a HUMAN baby would be like!

Old 08-17-2008, 06:29 AM

3,288 posts, read 6,270,001 times
Best of luck with your new baby! I'm happy to hear she is doing so well. Kittens are a joy, so cute and playful. Enjoy!

Old 11-18-2009, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 28,975 times
i have a kitten on the way in December, meaning she is coming home to us from the breeders. We have a dog that sort of tackles the cats we already have and I am concerned the dog is going to hurt the kitten. She is really small at 5 weeks and I am worried she'll be too small even when we bring her home. we also dont totally know what to do with the litter box and cat food. Our cats eat on the counter top and my husband said he would make special accomodations for the cat door leading to the litter box. Can anyone help

Old 11-18-2009, 09:31 AM

9,775 posts, read 24,203,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequinqueen View Post
i have a kitten on the way in December, meaning she is coming home to us from the breeders. We have a dog that sort of tackles the cats we already have and I am concerned the dog is going to hurt the kitten. She is really small at 5 weeks and I am worried she'll be too small even when we bring her home. we also dont totally know what to do with the litter box and cat food. Our cats eat on the counter top and my husband said he would make special accomodations for the cat door leading to the litter box. Can anyone help

Your going to have to set up a "safe room" for her. One where she feels comfortable and not threatened by the other cats and dog. Do introductions slowly..there will be lots of hissing and that is perfectly normal. Getting aquainted is all about scent. I always rub down each animal with a towel and then switch towels. Let the animals get aquainted by the scent, even before they meet. Never, ever , leave them unattended until you are comfortable no one will get hurt. You have a baby and she was must be treated accordingly. Good luck...and we'd love to see some pics! What breed kitten are you bringing home?

Old 11-18-2009, 11:00 AM

1,055 posts, read 2,538,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequinqueen View Post
You might want to start a new thread so people can answer this...the original post was from 2008
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats