U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 04:41 PM

1,153 posts, read 2,750,290 times
Default Cat Throwing Up Frequently

One of our cats throws up after eating 4 to 5 times per week. Any idea what might be causing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 05:18 PM
bjh

20,257 posts, read 11,791,923 times
Are there any hairballs coming up? It is summer and there is more trouble with that this time of year.

Also, what are you feeding him/her? Perhaps there is something wrong with the particular bag/cans of food in use right now. Once ina while we come across a package of pet food that makes our pets sick, so we throw it out. Just like occassionly human food has to be thrown out for the same reason.

Another possibility, something stuck in the stomach. Is there a missing toy or other small object?

Or, your cat could be suffering from a stomach virus that may go away on its own.

good luck and if these possibilites don't work out, please see a vet.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:11 PM

650 posts, read 3,745,315 times
We have dealt with several cat vomiters. I have learned a lot about vomiting through this. Is the vomit more of regurgiated food chunks or is it liquidy? All cats regurgitate from time to time--it seems it is less worrisome if the cat just does it once after eating, and it's large chunks of food in there. When the cat does it several times after eating, and it becomes liquidy/bile/foamy white/yellow or green, then it's more likely there is a problem. Also, if the cat is eating and drinking normally, but vomiting once after eating, it is less worrisome than if it's several times and they're not eating or drinking normally.

One of our cats (now deceased) was a very frequent vomiter. Probably at least 2-3 times per week. This was a regular thing with him, though, for years, so we didn't worry about it until all of a sudden he started vomiting profusely in a short amount of time and it was all liquid bile. We believe it was dental problems that caused the vomiting (even though you wouldn't think that would cause it), because soon after he had an absessed tooth and a raging infection because of the tooth.

I would take the cat to the vet to get checked; they will run a full blood panel and perhaps do an abdominal ultrasound or take an x-ray to see if there's something in the intestines causing the vomiting. In our case, the cat's blood test was normal (except for a high white blood cell count), and the ultrasound and exam were normal.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:14 PM

7 posts, read 110,466 times
i read an artical about this problem and some cats have trouble with dry food (my older cat has this problem) u might try switching to wet food (and try different brands too, as cats are very finicky). good luck! p.s. my cat is doing well now, except when she gets into my other cat's dry food.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:21 PM

1,153 posts, read 2,750,290 times
Thank you bjh, kygrandmabetty, and doglover29 for your responses. We give this cat wet canned food at dinner time, but leave some dry food in a bowl for her during the day. She will throw up just after eating both kinds of food and throws up only once. This does not happen after every meal, but it does happen several times per week and is never liquidy of foamy. Rarely do we ever see hairballs.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:08 PM

650 posts, read 3,745,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
Thank you bjh, kygrandmabetty, and doglover29 for your responses. We give this cat wet canned food at dinner time, but leave some dry food in a bowl for her during the day. She will throw up just after eating both kinds of food and throws up only once. This does not happen after every meal, but it does happen several times per week and is never liquidy of foamy. Rarely do we ever see hairballs.
It sounds like you may just have a chronic vomiter. Would still recommend taking the cat to the vet to get checked out, but our cat was like this. Vomited about 2-3 times per week, which was normal for him. Some cats just have sensitive stomachs I think.

You may want to try different foods--maybe your cat has developed a food allergy.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:35 PM

947 posts, read 1,946,840 times
vomiting should never be consider a "normal" thing, it could be common but not normal.

i would take kitty to the vet and switch foods to wet food only and feeding 2x's/day. leaving food out for kitty to eat up to 30-45 mins in the morning and then pick up and do the same in the evening.

leaving food out all day causes many issues.

also kitty may be eating too fast, but I really do suspect there to be a more urgent underlying issues here
kitty shouldn't be throwing up this much...
not to mention it is painful and kitty must be feeling discomfort often in the tummy too

hope kitty starts to feel better soon!!!

Old 08-13-2008, 06:59 AM

25,135 posts, read 30,803,918 times
Our BoyKitty throws up occasionally, usually about a half hour after eating and after he's run around the house like a madman. He eats entirely too fast; I try to slow him down by petting him while he's eating, giving him small bits of food five minutes apart (time consuming!), etc.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:45 AM

Location: Former Michigander living in Durham, NC (SW Durham)
673 posts, read 1,552,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
Have you changed foods recently? Also, are you feeding your cat a good quality food? My daughter picked up some canned cat food at the grocery store one time (we feed our cats premium dry food), thinking she would give them a treat, and the cheap food did not sit well in their stomachs at all. We have been able to add premium canned food as the occasional treat with no problem at all, so obviously the cheap cat food just does not agree with them.

Just "food" for thought...

Old 08-13-2008, 01:25 PM

482 posts, read 1,578,828 times
I agree with need4trees. Vomiting is not normal everyday cat behavior.

Our Tortie began vomiting daily about 2 months ago. She dropped a ton of weight very fast and was not looking good. I tried switching foods, first different dry formulas and then different wet ones. The wet foods stopped the most severe vomiting but not all.

Also, having been fed mostly dry food for many years she wasn't too keen on the wet food even though it is nutritionally better, so she still wasn't eating enough to put her weight back.

I finally got brave enough to take her to the vet, brave because she HATES going and I was afraid of what the tests would discover.

Well, fortunately our Tortie is fine. Nothing major wrong, but the vet concluded she has a type of reflux condition from vomiting. In other words, she vomits a lot because she vomits a lot. Make sense? After long-term regurgitating it became an automatic reaction to eating. The original cause of this, however, was dietary. Bad dry food, basically, which is far too commonplace.

We were given something to help her avoid the reaction to vomit and it's working well. The vet also told us to use Purina EN a dry food very digestible and easy on the stomach. She does not vomit this food and is gaining weight back.

Whether she has to stay on the meds long term or not I don't know, but it's essential that chronic vomiting be stopped and as quickly as possible because they can shed pounds fast and be in trouble before you know it.

I hope you will take your cat in to the vet for some tests asap. It's the only sure-fire way to know what's up.
Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats