Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:31 AM

4,677 posts, read 2,060,821 times

Advertisements

How long do cats live? I am about to kill my boyfriends cats. Please dont think I'm a horrible person cuz I really do like cats. I let my son get a kitten that he has named Lightning Mcqueen. But anyways when I met my boyfriend 3 years ago-he had these two same cats. Brother and sister tabbys. Well anyways they usd to be pretty good cats but in the last year I dont know whats a matter. They throw up all over the place and pee and poop everywhere. They are now 11 years old. Are they senile? What can I do to stop it? Its very disgusting! We have a vet look at them and he said he cant see anything wrong. So I dont know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 11:38 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Find another vet! Cats that suddenly change their bathroom behavior have something wrong. With the age of these cats there are several things it could be, assuming that their box is kept clean and you did not switch litter brands. You will need to use a product like Urine Off Cat Urine, Odor, & Stain Removal Products (http://www.urineoff.com/Cats.php - broken link) to remove the smell so that the cats are not being drawn back to those same places. I recommend getting the black light so that you find all of the urine.

As for the vomiting I would try changing their diet. My husband's cat that he had when we met used to vomit daily. I switched him from Meow Mix to Nutro Senior and the vomiting stopped. When he was diagnosed with kidney failure I switched him to a super premium, single source protein food and he did even better. Senior kitties often do better on a higher end food.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:49 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,256,290 times
I agree to find another vet...
But you know changing the food for older cats may fix everything.
But when you say the vet couldnt "see" anything. Did you do blood tests or just an exam?

As a pet owner you should get ones of those bissel little green machines.
I would get insanely angry at hacked hairballs on a white carpet I had in a rental.
But i just broke down and got a bissle little green and it made it so much easier to deal with. It cleaned it better too. Just removed the matter with a tissues and bissel it.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:47 PM

4,677 posts, read 2,060,821 times
It was just an exam and it isnt hairballs they throw up, its actual food. But we will try a higher brand of cat food and see what happens. I think thats what they eat now is meow mix.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:26 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,163 times
I don't think 11 year old cats are senile. I have two that are about 18 yrs. old and they don't exhibit bizarre behavior. It sounds like your cats' behavior is a reaction to something either dietary or environmental. Animals can't tell us what's wrong so the only way they have to let us know is by behavioral means - and that's what they're doing. Find a better vet.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:39 PM

605 posts, read 2,989,529 times
I agree with seeing another vet - there is something definitely wrong if they are doing what you describe! Are they both doing it? How often are the litterboxes cleaned? 2 cats should have at least 2, and preferably 3 litterboxes which are cleaned daily.

Meow Mix isn't a very good quality food, and you may see the vomiting disappear if that is the cause.

Cats can live much longer than 11 years...that is actually young and they shouldn't be senile, yet.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:29 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,519 times
They probably do not approve of the new kitten disrupting their calm home. Kittens are playful and active.. 11 year olds are quiet, calm and not so active.. I suggest you keep the older ones and kitten apart and see how that goes.

Theses babies are very smart little creautres, never doubt that for one minute. They need understanding and help adjusting to changed. Cats simply DO NOT like changes! Watch you attutude with them too, that could only add to the probelm, they will pick up on your attitude.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:40 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,413,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
They probably do not approve of the new kitten disrupting their calm home. Kittens are playful and active.. 11 year olds are quiet, calm and not so active.. I suggest you keep the older ones and kitten apart and see how that goes.

Theses babies are very smart little creautres, never doubt that for one minute. They need understanding and help adjusting to changed. Cats simply DO NOT like changes! Watch you attutude with them too, that could only add to the probelm, they will pick up on your attitude.
I have to agree with Laura....Cats are creatures of habit...adding a new kitten in with some seniors is always dicey. Plus it seems their entire household is changing. When cats are upset...they usually show it in their litterbox manners.
As far as food is concerned....try a senior diet for them...I believe Royal Canin makes one.
A vet visit to have them checked out entirely would not be a waste in my opinion. Once they get a clean bill of health, you can then work out the other issues.
Also....and I'm back tracking here....were there any changes in their litter? Or...don't rule out a UTI.
Here is a great website to keep bookmarked!
Solutions for Litterbox Problems and Territorial Spraying!

Old 08-20-2008, 06:18 AM

1,890 posts, read 1,563,379 times
With 3 cats, you should definatley have a least a minimum of 2 litter boxes, and apart from each other. Did you change litter brands?

I have found that Purina ONE cat food is the better brand for lower priced cat food.
When you change their food, do it slowly, mix the old with the new and gradually add more new brand food until that's all that you use. This will let their stomach's and digestive systems adapt to the new food without upsetting it.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:45 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,519 times
Also you might want to try some Feliway.. It helps calms them.. Amazon.com: feliway
Some people I know have had great results with this.

I had gotten some calming spray from my vet that helped my kitties when I introduced another into the house and it caused problems. It is made by these people but I don't see it on their web sight anymore. Time and Again | Candles | Air Care | Jar Candle Collection | Pillars & Tapers | Diffusers | Home Decor Collection This stuff worked great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats