U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 02:50 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,416,388 times

Advertisements

I have had a female cat for 17 years, and she shows no signs of slowing down. However, we will have to put here to sleep if we can't find a way to stop her from urinating on our living room carpet. We just replaced the carpet ($2,500) and are getting it installed tomorrow. Is there anything that can be done? I don't want to put her down.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 03:22 PM

9,791 posts, read 24,396,696 times
Has she been to the vet to clear her of a Urinary Tract Infection. This is most often the cause of a cat avoiding a litterbox.
Also....you have to make sure the spot where she has urinated on is cleaned well.....If there is any trace at all...she will return to that spot. An excellent cleaner I found is "Stink Free" Urine Odor Remover for cat urine. My daughter has a cattery and found it worked well when one of her males sprayed indoors. It can be bought on-line or I believe I found it in PetCo.
Depending on how long she has been doing this...It may have become habit. In that case, you would have to keep her contained with a litterbox and almost start re-training her again.
My first step would be to get her to a vet to check for the UTI and then go from there.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:11 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,416,388 times
OK, thanks. I think it has become a habit for her to mark her territory. She even peed on the plywood floor after we removed the old carpet. She is stubborn, if she only knew what the consequencxes are going to be if she doesn't stop...Thanks for the advice.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:28 PM

Unfortunately, there is no reasoning with her.
You could contain her with a litterbox in a small room ie bathroom or utility room...see if she uses the box..and then slowly open up her living space. It may take some time.
Again...a vet visit should be first. It could save alot of time and heartache.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:33 PM

604 posts, read 1,572,604 times
Take her to the vet!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:59 PM

648 posts, read 664,007 times
We don't euthanize children or family members for urinating inappropriately, so it would be a travesty to euthanize an animal for that reason. They don't know they're doing something wrong. If you have to give up, many private shelters will take such pets. I volunteer at a cat shelter and many of the cats were given up by their owners for the reason you're discussing. Many have been re-adopted to new owners, so it's win-win. But as other responders have mentioned, the first order of business is to have the vet check out your cat.

I had the same problem and simply pulled all the carpet out and put down tile throughout the house. It wasn't inexpensive but it's been great. Carpet is unhealthy anyway.

Best of luck with your kitty.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:18 AM

8,424 posts, read 24,425,211 times
My cat had weak kidneys in her old age. I would still take yours to the vet to see if it is a health issue. But the little old kitty of mine liked it when we put out a few more litter boxes closer to places where she would hang out. She was about that age and started to have confusion problems too. Still high energy, but confused when freshly woken up.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:15 AM

43,177 posts, read 47,049,205 times
Definely susepct a urinary tract infecdtion if they void outside their litter box . There are also food for just this problem of urinary infections that really help.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Definely susepct a urinary tract infecdtion if they void outside their litter box . There are also food for just this problem of urinary infections that really help.
Please understand...the food may help avoid the UTI, but will not clear it. A round of antibiotics is the only thing that will clear a UTI.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:42 PM

482 posts, read 1,620,200 times
It seems extreme to euthanize for this reason although it's understandable you would be frustrated. Cats will urinate in inappropriate places because of many issues; sickness being the primary one but it could also be psychological or just a bad habit. They may not like a new litter, may have trouble entering the box, may not have enough privacy, may not have enough room, etc. Old age brings on a lot of obstacles they didn't have before. They may even forget where the box is.

As for your carpet, cats are drawn to favorite spots by the odor that can be removed with a product sold in pet stores, whose name escapes me. It's in a white spray bottle with red lettering. Sometimes one of our cats urinates just outside the box and we spray the area with it and they don't go there again.

But my first guess would be what the other posters said. Please take your pet in to the vet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats