Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:26 AM

577 posts, read 2,060,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Finger Laker: Good thinking. I agree completely. Traffic is the main problem in my area. Some drivers don't even try to miss animals. Of course when one is texting, it's hard to pay attention...
I've told my cat many times not to text while running in the street.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:34 PM

687 posts, read 2,128,457 times
My neighbor's cat took a part-time job with me, which evolved into a full-time job, and finally formal adoption. Miss Sally was declawed when I got her, but was used to being outside. Unfortunately we live in the cat hood (apparently), and the delinquent cats down the street used to beat her up and take her lunch money. My son fantasized about retro-fitting her with claws like Wolverine, so she could defend herself. Even without claws, and looking so prissy you'd think she just stepped off the catwalk, she'd bring home little presents for us regularly. Sometimes a mouse, sometimes just the mouse heart. One time just a dove's foot. Lots of lizards. She's living the good life now with my mom, indoors.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:24 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,081 times
^^ Gives new meaning to word Catwalk, eh?

Old 11-12-2009, 05:30 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,211 times
That is a rare expection... de clawed cats should not be outside

Most outside cats DO live good lives but then they die from disease, get hit by cars,ect

Little Big cat has an excellent article about outdoor dangers for cats.

Outdoor life IMHO should only be consittered if....

You must declaw him or give him up/ assuming no buddy will take him/her

the cat devlops a serious behavior problem.. assuming no buddy will take him/her

someone gets allergic and no other homes are going to take him/her.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:47 PM

687 posts, read 2,128,457 times
I hear ya Pantherpride. We tried keeping her inside, but she'd yowl and get so mad, then she'd mark up the house. Us being allergic to cats (she is a long-haired holstein cat) made it worse. Giving her to my mom worked out beautifully -- she tolerates being indoors 99% of the time now, and my mom has a little shadow that adores her. It helps that my mom is retired, so have lots of time to play with her. We miss her a lot though.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:26 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,865 times
Growing up I had 2 cats that were indoor/outdoor, by choice of my father. One had its tail run over by a car and there were many scratches from cat fights. They both lived into their mid teens. Now I currently have 4 cats that are all indoor. I prefer them to live as long as possible and know that they are not in harms way. I do take 2 of them outside once in awhile, supervised of course. The other 2 want nothing to do with going out. Indoor is my preference.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:10 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburnite View Post
I've told my cat many times not to text while running in the street.
did he/she listen?? neither of mine would......

Old 11-14-2009, 11:37 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
That is a rare expection... de clawed cats should not be outside

Outdoor life IMHO should only be consittered if....
You must declaw him or give him up/ assuming no buddy will take him/her

the cat devlops a serious behavior problem.. assuming no buddy will take him/her

someone gets allergic and no other homes are going to take him/her.
And these are reasons to put the kitty outside? What about working with a shelter to find a suitable home? What about having plenty of scratching posts and training aids to keep the scratching away from undesirable objects such as furniture? A little time and effort can bring good results. If an owner is not willing to put the time into it, then they shouldn't have the cat. Someone is allergic, so you make it an outdoor cat?? What about surrendering to a shelter so that the cat can have a good non-allergic home?

There are options. It just takes thought and time to explore them, and a desire to not take the first "easy" one.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:31 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,211 times
Most shelter cats are put to sleep and made into pet food they are simply not enough homes for every cat. Assuming its a no kill they live year after year in small cages, or bounce back and forth in and out of the shelter regurdless of kill or no kill... Biological supply labs often visit/use shelters for animal research models and pet food companies test garbage brands to see how cheap and low grade they can get while making the most income possible and selling as much of their product as possible.

Its not just adult cats that are killed that is a complete myth. In 2004 85% of the cats PTS in LA shelters were kittens.

Outdoor cats are happier if not healthier/safer..... It is very difficult/expensive and time consuming to enrich an indoor cat and there are many behavioral cases of 'Idel paws' cats who pull their fur out/attack people or scratch furniture. However it can be done and for most people living in the mordern world it is the closest we can realistically come to an ideal situation.

Note I'm not saying your cat SHOULD be outside.... BUT as long as its fixed/unable to breed I would prefur that to some of the things we do such as De clawing/de meowing... (I'll let you in on a little secret) TNR ( feral cat Trap neuter release program) actually catches de clawed feral cats in traps, cats that were dumped outdoors to become wild after the owners couldn't deal with the behavioral issues) If your going to let a cat outside to become wild/lost rather then get it de clawed at least it would still have its claws and be better apt to survive in a wild state. you would save $$ too.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:33 PM

257 posts, read 407,668 times
Ours stay inside because we don't want them jumping over fences and going next door, across the street, etc. Beside, they usually want back in vey fast... they hear loud noises and run back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats