Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 05:40 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times

Advertisements

we generally have to go and find her in her hiding places, under the plants. She won't respond to our calls. On the other hand, when the cat decides that it's time to come in, we are expected to open the patio door immediately when she meows.

But, of course. Otherwise she wouldn't be a cat after all .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-09-2008, 06:09 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
My cat, Ariel, likes to go outside. At first I was fine with it, but when a concerned neighbor said that she had seen Ariel go into a crawl space hole on the outside of my apartment building, that was it! Now she doesn't go outside at all unless she's being supervised. I like to chase her around the courtyard; she loves it. There are a lot of feral/outside cats in our neighborhood; she wouldn't stand a chance against any of them!

Old 09-10-2008, 12:24 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
Very true, sandy .
Many places have feral cats living in colonies , often hidden from most of us and most indoor cats would not stand a chance with any of them (it would be like us fighting Hulk Hogan ) . Not only that, but these cats have diseases and many even have feline leukemia which is very spreadable .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-10-2008, 04:32 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
My neighbor had a cat die recently because someone put crushed glass in a tin of tuna and left it on his front porch. Bad things, man. Bad things.

I had a cat run over before my eyes when I was about five. I had another cat die of feline leukemia when I was about ten. When I was 18 I ran over a cat in front of the kids and mother he belonged to. Gotta keep the cats in the house, man. They don't get it, but it's for their own good.

When I was very young my parents had a tomcat named vince. I have vague memories of him but I remember that he was as sweet as could be and just rippled with muscle. Beautiful animal. He could come and go as he pleased but only lived to be 5 before his body gave out from the constant fighting, anonymous unprotected sex and turf defense.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:29 AM

4 posts, read 14,621 times
Having lost 2 beautiful cats (run over) to the 'great outdoors', my current cats are indoor ones, and I expect all my future ones will be too. Cats are often very lively curious characters, but are as ill equipped to be out unprotected in a modern urban or suburban environment as a small child, exposed to all the dangers of cars, dogs, kid/catnappers, cruel people, and diseases. Not only that, here in Australia, feral and unconfined domestic cats are devastating to the native wildlife population. I have always preferred to confine cats indoors overnight anyway. My cats do not miss the outdoors: one has never known it and the other was dumped and nearly starved before I adopted him. They have plenty of toys and cat trees, and human and feline company, and the run of the whole house to keep them entertained. They have their favorite sunny windows, sleeping spots, and play routines, and are the best of mates; playing mad chasing games through the house, sleeping curled up together or washing each other. I have pots of grasses which I bring indoors for them to chew on as desired. One day I will have the finances and situation where I can set up a protected outdoor run for them. In the meantime, I'm protecting - not imprisoning - my cats by keeping them indoors, and they radiate contentment with their lot!

Old 09-11-2008, 04:59 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
Cats that are 'socialized' to live with humans 'house cats' etc should not be allowed to roam in urban or suburban areas- 'barn' 'farm' or country cats may be an exception.

Cats that roam are subjected to encounters with cars in more urban areas-

Feral cats- are not fully socialized to live with humans- the outdoors is their 'home'.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:06 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Feral cats- are not fully socialized to live with humans- the outdoors is their 'home'.
Ah, but they can be. I know a woman who has three formerly feral cats that are now indoor cats - and love their humans.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:23 PM

69 posts, read 214,980 times
Default Not one answer for everyone/everycat

Since 2000, I have lived in five rented homes, all in different places. Two different states, too.
When I picked out the homes, since my kids were older, I honestly paid attention to safety for my 2 outside access cats. They have done well in each house we lived in, although one has since died of natural causes.....
I would never let a cat out on a busy street, in an area with feral cats, in an area with loose dogs. They are never out at night. I would never have an intact ( not castrated ) or unspayed cat. I live in an area where our local municipality issues cat tags for a small fee ( we also have a dog beach!)
So, yes, I feel that my cats have a good time going out in the daytime only, and generally only when I am at home.
I have one cat who is abnormally tiny, and also panics very easily. She has escaped a few times, and is nearly impossible to catch. She will never be allowed access to the outdoors, unless I move to a home with very high fences.

I also try to make my backyard inviting, and often my cats will stay there...I have a big shed that they can go in, and a plant table that they can lie on, as well as a shady back porch.
So, yes, many cats should not go out....but that is not true for all cats.....

Old 09-13-2008, 05:13 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,490,195 times
There were numerous upon numerous responses as to why cats stay indoors for some owners.

But, a cat is a pet, when it comes down to it- an indoors or outdoors cat. And a owner is supposed to be responsible for his pet at all times...it's kinda hard to be responsible for your pet when she is running all over the town and you have no idea where she is until she turns up.

Of course I disagree with outdoor cats-that's my right, but I am not saying you're wrong....it's a matter of opinion, and I wouldn't dare think I am God and that my opinion is law

Old 09-13-2008, 10:57 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
Ah, but they can be. I know a woman who has three formerly feral cats that are now indoor cats - and love their humans.
I agree

but it takes time- I feed two altered males- they are friendly, but not very trustful of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats