Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 06:59 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,639 times

Advertisements

[quote=davidt1;5084303]People who keep their cats inside seem to mean well, but do they really? The freedom to roam, learn and explore is as important to cats as it is to humans. Why deny them that? Hmmmmm, the same reason I wouldn't allow my toddler to run around unsupervised. She'd love to run around without holding my hand- but do i allow it? I love my cats, and while they may enjoy spending time outdoors, sometimes that isn't the safest option. Do they love the freedom? Sure, but do they look both ways before crossing the street? NOPE. Can they outrun alligators? Hmm I doubt it. Are they dissatisfied with thier lives? Not one bit, they shower us with kisses on a daily basis. Boundaries are set for a reason, that goes for people and animals as well!

Old 11-27-2008, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,738 times
I have eight indoor and outdoors w are the only ones on the block in a 1/2 mile radius with cats everyone hates that i letthem out but they love it and also come in evry night on time and had an awesome schedules of both indoor and outdoor so whats the problem thaey are fixed don;t attack and keep an eye open for dogs loose that might go near us?

Old 11-27-2008, 04:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Cats likie dogs are domesticated now days. Having cats roam in the urban area onlky means they will get runover ro kiled by dogs. Just as dogs that run loose will most likely endup the same way. If this was a cae of open areas with no urban dangers it would be different.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:54 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
People who keep their cats inside seem to mean well, but do they really? The freedom to roam, learn and explore is as important to cats as it is to humans. Why deny them that? Imagine a very rich person offering you a mansion to live in and you can have anything you want but you must stay inside for the rest of your live. Who would take that deal? I didn't think so. Cats don't think so either. Seriously, if they can talk, what do you think they would say on the matter?

I think they would tell their human owners that caging them is cruel. Yes, my human owner, your house is just a big cage. Sure, it's nicer than the ones at the shelter or the zoo, but a cage is still a cage. We know you mean well and don't want us to get sick and run over, but we would be much happier if we can run outside once in a while. We notice that you don't stay inside for long unless you are sick or the car is in the shop. And we know you are very happy to be outside. We just want to be happy like you too.

I listened to mine and let them out. They were so happy and thankful that they always came home, showered me with kisses and purrs and slept in my room every night.
Sorry, but I'd rather not feed my cat to the coyotes or wake up one morning to find his body on the side of the road after its been run over by a car.

Outdoor cats live short lives.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:30 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kita2kita View Post
I have eight indoor and outdoors w are the only ones on the block in a 1/2 mile radius with cats everyone hates that i letthem out but they love it and also come in evry night on time and had an awesome schedules of both indoor and outdoor so whats the problem thaey are fixed don;t attack and keep an eye open for dogs loose that might go near us?
The problem is, it is only a matter of time before one or more of them does not come home...due to being run over by a car, a dog (or worse) or one of your neighbors who hates that you let them out to wander. Won't you feel guilty or bad, when one of their lives is cut very short and you could have prevented it? JMHO.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:40 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,760 times
I agree with the original message of this post, but you must understand there are exceptions. OF COURSE cats will be happier and more free if they are allowed to explore outside, but in human urban environments - at what cost? Their life? I guess it depends on how attached one is to their pet.

I recently cat-sat a friend's cat for one month while he was out of the country. This cat (age 2) had never been outside, never basked in sunlight, never chased a mouse. He also had a very hostile personality, didn't like to be touched at all. After a week with me, I got bold enough to let him go in my backyard, keeping a close eye on him and not letting him wander beyond the confines of my fenced yard. He totally changed! He layed in the sun, chewed on some grass, sniffed the dirt. I know it was beneficial to him. But to let him roam free all the time? Couldn't do it. Cars going back and forth, dogs around, etc.

It depends on where you live. Most urban and even suburban areas - forget it. Chances are your cat is going to get hurt, sad to say. Love cats and want them to enjoy life - get out of the city.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:56 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
People who keep their cats inside seem to mean well, but do they really? The freedom to roam, learn and explore is as important to cats as it is to humans. Seriously, if they can talk, what do you think they would say on the matter?

I listened to mine and let them out. They were so happy and thankful that they always came home, showered me with kisses and purrs and slept in my room every night.
This is the reason for the pet peeve today. Irresponsible pet owners letting their pets run free to annoy others. Put the cat on a leash and walk him the way people do with dogs and we will all get along just fine. People who let their casts out just don't want to clean the cat litter box in their house.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:30 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
I wish Gracie were not always trying to dash outside . I don't know why she does this because she has even been caught in the rain.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-28-2008, 04:29 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
The average lifespan of an outdoor cat is 4 years if they're lucky. The average lifespan of an indoor cat is 14 years.

My indoor cats have sunning ledges, stimulating toys, and the company of people who love them. I think that they'll forgive me the fact that I don't toss them outside to the mercy of disease, dogs, other cats, coyotes, and fast traveling vehicles.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:50 PM

667 posts, read 2,300,824 times
Who's to say that outdoor is a cat's "natural habitat" anymore, anyways. They are domesticated animals that have been living very content lives indoors for many, many years now. It's a bit different than having a bobcat or lemur live indoors, yah know, acutal "wild" animals.
I have always had outdoor cats. The expense of keeping them alive is ridiculous & if you let them live "naturally" then they come home pooping worms, with ticks & whatnot. It's gross & dirty.
I have had cats squished in the street (that lived outdoors & seen cars ALL THE TIME), I have had a crazy neighbor poison my kitty with antifreeze, I've seen cats mangled by animals & even worse.
I now have an ocicat that I rescued & these guys are a bit more wild than a regular cat. Their energy level is out the roof & he loves to hunt. So, I give him places to climb & we play cat & mouse everyday for at least 20 min. To be honest, my son & Deeno are playing with balls & toy mice right now, running a muck. He is very happy & never will he roam alone outside.
You are like, 1 out of an outrageous number of people who feel this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats