U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 01:44 PM

698 posts, read 2,469,987 times

Advertisements

Our geriatric Tortie started having feeding issues about 2-3 months ago, and began vomiting daily, and then after every meal.

She dropped weight fast. Finally after countless different foods dry and wet I became worried and took her into the vet.

This was a new vet to us but one that came recommended (via friend of a friend word of mouth) and one we liked, for the most part. They ran blood work and prescribed meds ... and a new Purina cat food that was "easy to digest." That cost $300. I enthusiastically followed the suggested regimen.

Cut to the chase... our old girl developed an awful reaction to the meds; disorientation, hyperactivity, excessive mouth foaming and was so out of it after each daily medication time that she urinated on herself and didn't know or care.

The two meds together really made her ill and ironically were prescribed to control acid reflux, esophageal problems and vomiting. They instead seemed to only induce vomiting!

The food was ok initially but became intolerable and therefore, uneaten.
Our kitty wasn't getting any better, staying emaciated even after what appeared to be the start of recovery which had me feeling very happy and relieved.

Fast forward some more... I stopped feeding her this "easily digested" food and stopped giving her the meds. It's only been 3 days or so but already she seems to be bouncing back.

I began feeding her wet food only, small meals of Meow Mix and Fancy Feast. She is still vomiting her first meal of the day but it's mostly water from eating too fast because there's no longer the dry food sitting out all night to graze on (and then vomit right up.) She can keep down all other meals and is back to sleeping contentedly in her bed and not looking like a sick cat.

I don't know what to think. I'm a believer in medicine for people and animals but after something like this have to wonder if some vets either aren't knowledgable enough or too driven by profit. I'm sure they would work with me and try something else but I can't help feel that -- since our cat has no dental disease and checked out with the bloodwork -- as far as further intervention is concerned, less is more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 02:14 PM

10,091 posts, read 36,904,405 times
I have nothing to add...except if you'd like to try and slow her eating down in the AM....place a one or two ping-pong balls (or something similar) in her bowl. She will have to slow down to eat around them. I know it sound bazarre...but it works!
Sending good vibes your kitty continues to progress!

Old 09-04-2008, 07:45 PM

218 posts, read 692,853 times
your answers are right here:

Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi

Dry cereal (JUNK filled) food is what causes all these feline health issues.
Vets selling it should be forced to give refunds for all the unnecessary heartache and confusion. They should not be selling food, unless it is low carb wet food with GOOD proteins suitable for a carvivore. Vets will overdrug to mask all the food health issues and the animals are the ones who really pay (with pain.)

Good luck with your cat. please see that doctor's website. She heals cats with common sense (when you think about it, they are strict carnivorous, but vets and pet food cos. brainwash us otherwise), and cures diabetic ones; for starters, many diabetic cats become no longer dependent on Insulin just by being fed properly!.

This DR also is a feline expert who does the same: www.yourdiabeticcat.com

See also http://catnutrition.wordpress.com/20...owed-any-more/

PS Vets are NOT trained in nutrition. Just influenced by the companies.

Last edited by WhatSayYou; 09-04-2008 at 07:59 PM..

Old 09-04-2008, 11:19 PM
bjh

30,849 posts, read 23,811,083 times
My first thought was maybe your cat, like all cats is a carnivore, might be allergic to all the cereals and additives that inevitably wind up in dry cat foods. Just smell dry cat food sometimes. It smells awful.

Whereas the wet stuff, heck I could have that on toast if I was desperate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
place a one or two ping-pong balls (or something similar) in her bowl. She will have to slow down to eat around them. I know it sound bazarre...but it works!
That's a great idea!

Good info. by Whatsayyou too

Old 09-05-2008, 08:19 AM

32,401 posts, read 59,899,964 times
I'll pet my BoyKitty while he's eating, and that seems to slow him down a little (plus he loves all the attention!).

I would try an even higher quality wet food for her, one without grains or grain products (gluten, etc.). Corn especially seems to irritate cats' systems. Our NeighborKitty -- who was quite portly -- developed a corn allergy. When his owners started feeding him higher quality food, he dropped a few pounds, his coat is all shiny and fluffy again, and now he's the sleekest, baddest mouser on the block.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:27 AM

79 posts, read 295,548 times
Try organic foods. Sounds like there is an allergy there. The organic foods are obviously more expensive, but they don't contain all the extra garbage that the normal ones do.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:50 PM

13 posts, read 43,671 times
What medications was your cat taking? Her symptoms sound like those of hyperthyroidism, the most common disease in elderly cats. Bloodwork is needed to diagnose this (and many other) diseases. Is this what she has?

It sounds like your cat possibly may have been having an allergic reaction to one (or more) of the medications. While allergic reactions to medications are generally rare, they do sometimes occur, and unfortunately you cannot predict which cat (or person) will have a reaction to any medication.

Did you tell your vet about how your cat responded to the medications? I would not blame your vet for your cat having an unpredictable reaction to the medication, since no one could have predicted it. If your vet had known that your cat had this type of reaction, he most likely would have told you to stop that medication right away, may have wanted to see your cat again to make sure that kitty was okay, and may have prescribed an alternative treatment. If your vet doesn't know what happened, he can't help you out.

Finally, your vet has had 8+ years of advanced education to become a licensed medical doctor, same as a physician who sees people. I would be more likely to trust his opinion on your cat's health and nutrition far more than the "advice" of any old Joe Schmoe on the internet (including me!). There is no harm in going to another vet for a second opinion, but I would advise you NOT to get that second opinion from "Dr. Internet," unless you are absolutely sure that the article was written by a licensed, board-certified veterinarian.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:20 PM

13 posts, read 43,671 times
Thumbs down False information

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatSayYou View Post
your answers are right here:

Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi

Dry cereal (JUNK filled) food is what causes all these feline health issues.
Vets selling it should be forced to give refunds for all the unnecessary heartache and confusion. They should not be selling food, unless it is low carb wet food with GOOD proteins suitable for a carvivore. Vets will overdrug to mask all the food health issues and the animals are the ones who really pay (with pain.)

Good luck with your cat. please see that doctor's website. She heals cats with common sense (when you think about it, they are strict carnivorous, but vets and pet food cos. brainwash us otherwise), and cures diabetic ones; for starters, many diabetic cats become no longer dependent on Insulin just by being fed properly!.

This DR also is a feline expert who does the same: YourDiabeticCat.com - Helping and Preventing Feline Diabetes

See also We aren’t snowed any more « cat nutrition blog
The websites mentioned above are specific for the management and potential prevention of feline diabetes mellitus ONLY. The veterinarians who authored these websites certainly do not claim that their recommended diets are a cure-all for all disease in cats! Please do not suggest otherwise.

The percentage of diabetic cats who go into remission is around 20% or less. I don't see this mentioned in your previous post. Yes, these cats are often on high-protein/low-carb diets, but just as or even more importantly, they are the cats who start out grossly obese and then lose a healthy amount of weight (just like type II diabetes in people). I also don't see this mentioned in your previous post.

If you're going to try to practice veterinary medicine without a license, which BTW is illegal, at least try give some accurate advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatSayYou View Post
PS Vets are NOT trained in nutrition. Just influenced by the companies.
May I ask what your credentials are in veterinary nutrition?? You might as well be saying, physicians are not trained in nutrition; just influenced by Kraft and PepsiCo. If your pet needs extensive guidance in nutrition, your GP vet is going to refer you to a board-certified veterinary nutritionist (American College of Veterinary Nutrition / Home), who is a veterinarian with additional training and certification in nutrition. Your vet is NOT going to refer you to some yahoo on the Internet.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:46 PM

Our kitty was on Metoclopramide and Famotidine. I'm certain that she is allergic or ultra-sensitive to one or both. I'm also sure the vet would empathize and try to help but from my standpoint it seemed like she was more puzzled than sure of anything. As the mommy in our house and kids and cats, I was most concerned that our cat had something major wrong and thankfully her bloodwork checked out. She was only a little low on potassium.

I don't blame the vet or dislike vets. What's behind my take on the treatment received is more about my feeling sorry for our cherished fur baby that she has had to suffer this drawn-out process. Like everyone, I've had good vets and bad. I do feel this one is good and would take our pets to her again. Looking back, I remember her asking me if I wanted to feed wet food (it sounded like she thought it was better for them) and I said that we had trouble getting our cat to eat it. Typically both of cats would lick the gravy and walk away. So the vet, wanting to respond to that issue, suggested we stick with dry simply because it's what our cat had always eaten and she showed no dental disease. The Purina dry was ok at first but quickly lost its appeal. The vomiting it caused as time went on was painful to witness too.

As for what kind of wet, I did try the higher-end, healthy canned like Wellness and others but the cats were not impressed. I actually tried the Fancy Feast after noticing the thread here and found our results very close to those who posted. Both our cats love it and eat every drop. To my eyes, watching a previously unsatisfied (and grossly undernourished) cat go at her food this way is a wonderful sight. I only hope her enjoyment continues long enough to pack on a few pounds!

I agree that the Internet doesn't replace a vet but also think that, like people doctors, their training is not primarily in nutrition and that what they do know about it is acquired during their career and probably moreso if they are specifically interested in that aspect of animal health.

At this point I don't plan to do anything but feed our cats wet food, offer chewies for their teeth and hope for the best.

Thanks (to all camps) for listening and replying. No one is entirely right or wrong in the science -- and art -- of medicine...

Old 09-06-2008, 01:19 PM

Thumbs up Weird but good tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I have nothing to add...except if you'd like to try and slow her eating down in the AM....place a one or two ping-pong balls (or something similar) in her bowl. She will have to slow down to eat around them. I know it sound bazarre...but it works!
Sending good vibes your kitty continues to progress!
Thanks, I tried a super ball from the kids' stash in her bowl this a.m. and she did well. I think I need a slightly larger bowl though, to accommodate the ball.
Btw, her name is Shelby.
(Not sure if that's your name too but I noticed your user id.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats