U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:46 PM

38,756 posts, read 37,929,773 times

Advertisements

My mother had a cat named Mr. G, which means Mr. Grey, so aptly named because he is a Russian Blue. They have a solid grey coat with a blueish tint. We "received" Mr. G because my mother died suddenly. He was a parting gift. We've had Mr. G for a couple of years now. He is diabetic and severely over weight. My mother never had him checked for diabetes, after we got him we had checked out and he is severely diabetic.

So we've been trying to get his weight under control and been giving him shots and his blood sugar is a little high but manageable. He's been a real challenge at times dealing with his medical issues, constant begging for food, trying to make sure he uses his box etc etc. We went away for a trip to Vegas and had sitter come in and look after him, as the last time we boarded him they pretty much said don't board him because it stresses him to much. So essential my cat got 86'ed from the boarding facility.

He's been having problems last couple of days with going to the bathroom. We took him to the vet and they took an xray and saw that his bladder was full. The doc said that due to having diabetes for so many years he's lost a lot of muscle tone. The muscle that he uses to urinate is really weak. So we left him there to have a catheter to drain his bladder, they are then going to start medications to help. I'm a little concerned that he might not make it. I don't know how medication can make his bladder muscles stronger.

Me and my girlfriend are worried sick. I don't know if he's going to make it. I wasn't suspecting this so quick.

I hope everything works out OK.

I don't want to have to put him down. Wasn't ready for that.

Sorry the post was so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 11:58 PM

19,632 posts, read 53,495,108 times
So sorry for you and Mr. G. He may not be doomed, talk to your vet about his quality of life and his prognosis. Sometimes the kinder thing is to let our fur-babies go, if they are in pain or feeling sick all the time. Good luck.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
So sorry for you and Mr. G. He may not be doomed, talk to your vet about his quality of life and his prognosis. Sometimes the kinder thing is to let our fur-babies go, if they are in pain or feeling sick all the time. Good luck.
Thank you for your kind words. Yeah, me and my girlfriend are having to think about what is best for him. It is hard for us to think about losing him, but I don't want to stress him or put him through any undue hardship.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:44 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,297,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Thank you for your kind words. Yeah, me and my girlfriend are having to think about what is best for him. It is hard for us to think about losing him, but I don't want to stress him or put him through any undue hardship.
Make sure to take him to emergency vet. I had this happen to one of my babies and he had Kidney failure. It was so sad. Good Luck.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:19 PM

This not being able to urinate seemed to come on overnight. I just happened all of the sudden, It seems like it would be more gradual.

Does anybody have any thoughts or experience about this.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:06 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,297,916 times
Question How is Kitty Doing?

Hi, Just checking to see how kitty is. Did you get him to a Vet? He may have stones. Good luck again.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
Hi, Just checking to see how kitty is. Did you get him to a Vet? He may have stones. Good luck again.
We got him back from the Vet today. He gave us another presciption to try. Mr. G did go number 1 a little today. We're keeping our fingers crossed. I never thought I'd be so glad to see a messy litter box. LOL

Thanks for asking.

We have to keep an eye on him and see how it goes.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:19 AM

19,632 posts, read 53,495,108 times
A blocked urether can come on very suddenly and a male cat can die in 24 hrs from the toxins from backed up urine. I had read about this so one morning when my male was spending a lot of time in the litterbox, I took him right in. The vet catheterized him and I had to change his diet. He wasn't very old but he never had another problem with it. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:47 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,222,930 times
I have no experience with diabetic cats but I do know it is really dangerous if they can't potty and they can die really fast as SouthernBelleInUtah said. I have lost 2 to this problem.

I too, have my Mom's cat, got her after Mom died. It is like having a piece of Mom with me having the fur baby she loved so much. She is getting old now and I dread the day I loose her. I will just keep telling myself that she and Mom are back together and hope that will lessen my loss...

Old 09-15-2008, 11:47 AM

7,849 posts, read 10,151,521 times
If anything, a diabetic cat should be peeing alot. I wonder about stones. I'd have his urine checked for a UTI,too, and keep an eye on him. I've never heard about lack of tone in a cat's bladder. This sounds peculiar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or