Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,973 times

Advertisements

I can't get my cat to eat any type of meat. I've tried raw, cooked, steamed... She won't touch wet/canned food either. She will eat raisins, tomatoes, crackers, hummus, almond milk... It's so wierd. I give her EVO an organic quality of dry food. That has fish in it, but that is as far as her "meat" eating goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 07:06 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,435,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanomaries View Post
I can't get my cat to eat any type of meat. I've tried raw, cooked, steamed... She won't touch wet/canned food either. She will eat raisins, tomatoes, crackers, hummus, almond milk... It's so wierd. I give her EVO an organic quality of dry food. That has fish in it, but that is as far as her "meat" eating goes.
She is obviously vegan.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:00 PM

4 posts, read 7,482 times
I like to start preparing homemade meals for my cats to have better control over their nutrition. But one cat, since the day I brought her home after rescuing her, refuses to eat meat, even canned cat food. She will only eat dry food or she tries to get into my graham crackers while I'm eating them. I want her to be healthy, but I don't know what to do.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:23 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,981,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowYing View Post
I like to start preparing homemade meals for my cats to have better control over their nutrition. But one cat, since the day I brought her home after rescuing her, refuses to eat meat, even canned cat food. She will only eat dry food or she tries to get into my graham crackers while I'm eating them. I want her to be healthy, but I don't know what to do.
You may want to start here: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

You will get excellent ideas at that site but some cats are highly resistant when it comes to giving up their kitty crack a.k.a dry kibble. I have one who runs hot and cold. Sometimes he eats the canned and/or raw and other days, for days at a time, all he does is nibble at it.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:23 PM

Thank you. There is much important info to be learned from this site. It's a funny coincidence that I've been reading through the pages of this site for a couple hours prior to getting back to this forum. I found it by searching recipes earlier when the thought of the fact that one of my cats refusing to eat any kind of meat popped up in my mind and decided to search for advice what to do. So there must be some method of weening her off dry food somewhere on amongst the all info on that site. Which is good. I'll keep on reading. There is much to learn. And thank you again.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Quote:
If she is eating dry food, she is eating meat. If you read the label you will see that kibble has dried meat as one of the first ingredients. So your kitty is getting her meat only in a form that is different from your other cats.

My cat won't eat wet food from a can either but she will eat meat such as cooked chicken or turkey. Sometimes fish. She does, however, like meat in the form of kibble. She also loves anything dairy which the vet says is okay as long as her digestive system can handle it which it apparently can because she has no litter box problems so she gets a little bit of cheese now and them.

I have known cats to eat spaghetti and even watermelon. They will eat odd foods on occasion but they don't live them so the graham crackers are not as unusual as you may think.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:18 PM

But she has to eat something other than dry food. I'm concerned about her digestive system. I've tried turkey, chicken, beef, cheese, even milk. She just backs up sniffs and jumps back with a disgusted look on her face. She wants nothing to do with it.
I've also tried tofu, but with no avail. There was a cat that I fostered for a while that liked tofu. But he also like to eat chicken and turkey.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:10 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Quote:
But she has to eat something other than dry food. I'm concerned about her digestive system. I've tried turkey, chicken, beef, cheese, even milk. She just backs up sniffs and jumps back with a disgusted look on her face. She wants nothing to do with it.
I've also tried tofu, but with no avail. There was a cat that I fostered for a while that liked tofu. But he also like to eat chicken and turkey.
My cat is 14 years old. I adopted her from a shelter at the age of two. She has eaten nothing but dry food all her life. The occasional pieces of chicken or turkey I mentioned before have been very limited because she is not always interested in them. She does have a little bit of cheese more often but that is maybe once or twice a week and only a few pieces. Dry food is her whole meal. She is very healthy with no digestive problems. I would like her to eat canned food along with dry but she won't eat it.

The fact that she has done this well for this long a time I think shows that the dry food has been just fine for her.

Regarding the digestive system, some brands of kibble gives her diarrhea some is just fine but that was also true regarding other cats I have had and canned food. So if you give your cats certain dried food and it doesn't sit well with their stomachs, try another.

Instead of guessing, why not just consult with your veterinarian regarding her diet. It sounds as if you are making some assumptions on your own. A long time ago my kitty's doctor told me Gracie could live a long healthy life on just dry food and he was correct. It may not be the ideal diet but it has worked for her.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:06 AM

Thank you. Actually my cat seems fine it's just I was just concern for the long term. I've just been reading about the long term effects of dry food and it made me worry. I've never had a cat that just ate dry food. All the cats I ever lived with would eat dry food but they preferred soft canned food or meat.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:52 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Our current cat is the only one we've ever owned (including childhood pets) that didn't eat meat (we used to give them a treat of raw meat weekly). I'm a firm believer that dry food, too, is bad for cats but ours was brought home from the pound already addicted to the stuff. The best I've been able to do (DH says to just let him eat what he wants to eat) is give him canned in the morning. I was so sure I could simply feed him the same things at other intervals, but forget it. He's also into eating certain things at a particular time of the day.

That said, I think it's very presumptuous of you to take it upon yourself to try to change the cat's diet in the absence of the owners. You had no business doing that. Had that been our cat, I'd have been mighty ticked and, believe me, you would have known it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats