U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 08:15 PM

101 posts, read 317,547 times

Advertisements

I have had this kitty since he was only a couple weeks old. He is now 6 months old. Well at night right as me and my husband go to bed he comes alive and goes nuts! he attacks us while we are sleeping, he loves to try and climb up the blinds i mean completly goes nuts. If we put him outside our room then he meows till we let him in. and i wouldn't mind but he wakes my 18 month old son... he is a great cat otherwise but he just goes nuts at night. he even has a crazy cat meow to go with his behavior its different then his regular meow..

any ideas you could give me to calm him down? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 08:18 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,059,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkearns View Post
I have had this kitty since he was only a couple weeks old. He is now 6 months old. Well at night right as me and my husband go to bed he comes alive and goes nuts! he attacks us while we are sleeping, he loves to try and climb up the blinds i mean completly goes nuts. If we put him outside our room then he meows till we let him in. and i wouldn't mind but he wakes my 18 month old son... he is a great cat otherwise but he just goes nuts at night. he even has a crazy cat meow to go with his behavior its different then his regular meow..

The kitty needs a playmate. He is full of energy at night like most cats when they are younger. If you can adopt a cute kitty and he will leave you alone. I know because I did that a long time ago with a kitty I had and they just chased each other and played and slept together. They died, but I still miss them.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:31 PM

14,849 posts, read 26,450,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkearns View Post

I agree with Artsywoman's recommendation to get another kitten. That way, at least they will keep each other busy at night. Otherwise, I would say that your cat is perfectly normal. LOL The only thing that will cure a cat of going nuts at night is maturity, and even then, my 10 year old calico will have an attack of the "running around the house like a maniac" once in a while. It's part of their charm, don't you know???? LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-09-2008, 08:35 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,059,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I agree with Artsywoman's recommendation to get another kitten. That way, at least they will keep each other busy at night. Otherwise, I would say that your cat is perfectly normal. LOL The only thing that will cure a cat of going nuts at night is maturity, and even then, my 10 year old calico will have an attack of the "running around the house like a maniac" once in a while. It's part of their charm, don't you know???? LOL

20yrsinBranson
You are right! My Cat goes on her "crazy cat" attacks and she is 8. Kittens are always crazy and another kitten calms them down. My friend owns a rescue and she often only adopts kittens with their brother or sister, so that they can play and be together. Kittens need companionship. They are also soooo cute together. It takes a few days for them to get used to each other, but afterwards they love each other. It does not cost that much more for another kitten. Did he have another brother or sister he was used to being with? Was he then adopted? That is hard for a kitten.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:55 PM

129 posts, read 539,968 times
Most cats sleep during the day and are alive at night. I have 7 cats. They are all very different . You will get to know your cat as you would know your child. Yes, they have different meows for different things. This is how they communicate. I have had very active cats at night. My son usually plays with them at night before bedtime to get them tired and this seems to help. Also, cats like routines. Develop a consistent one with the kitten and they will remember. I agree that getting another will make it better. Cats do not usually like being the only one , especially when they are young. I have 1 that is 14years old and he loves the two newest addition (girls that are 2 ). They form alliances with one another..a few do not like each other, but they can bond with another one. Don't be alarmed..cats are very bright and they are loyal to their loved ones..play with him/her, make sure you feed them a bit before bedtime, they like that . You can PM me if you wish and I can offer any advice. My cats are well behaved, you can teach them and they will learn. good luck.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:05 PM

101 posts, read 317,547 times
I have a dog and they play together all day, its very funny. I have never owned a cat before only dogs. There was this ferrel preggo cat at the property i worked at and one day she wasn't preggo anymore so i sent out a search party lol, couldnt find them and thought the worst but a couple weeks later we found them. Sadly tho the mother we never did find, so i took them in and fostered them till they were big enough that a shelter would take. I kept one and gave the other 3 up to a no kill shelter.
Like i said earlier the dog plays with him all day and so does my son you would think he would be wiped out but nope hes not.

Do you think once we get him neutered he will calm down any?

Old 10-10-2008, 06:18 AM

10,092 posts, read 33,098,588 times
LOL....Cat Crazies! Happens every night at our house! Turn off the lights for bed...and they seem to think it is PARTY TIME!
Having another feline companion to romp and chase would help. (Except...now you will have 2 cats running and jumping!)
Try an interactive wand toy an hr or so bedtime...tire him out! Give him a meal just before bed time...will also help him calm down.
Cats are nocturnal...and those late night hrs are when they have the most energy. One must just learn to cope.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:06 AM

24,671 posts, read 48,426,780 times
When I go to bed at night the four girls (10 years, 1 year, 8 months and 6 months) happily snuggle in. When I awake in the morning they're all still sleeping peacefully and innocently. Only a house check bears testimony to the nightly rampage. My clothes are dragged all over, "kitty toys" left on a shelf are all over the floor, books have been dislodged from shelves but, judging from the bewildered expressions when I ask, "What's all this?" I guess I'm going to have to call in the ghostbusters..

As ShelbyGirl1 says, "One must just learn to cope." Cheers!

Old 10-11-2008, 11:02 AM

6,439 posts, read 8,622,079 times
Normal for young kittens and cats to play hard late evenings especially. He'll grow out of it in time.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:37 AM

13,773 posts, read 30,669,351 times
Getting him neutered won't help the playing at night, but you DO want to have him neutered. Male cats spray their scent and some will do it in the house.

They do outgrow it.. Some good ideas here

Post link not copyrighted material
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats