Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2008, 07:54 PM

276 posts, read 1,135,846 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Need some advice and help. I have never had pets EVER before.
This cute cat came to our patio door 2 days back and we have taken him/her in(?).
But all she does during the day is SLEEP!!. she has slept all through the day today. I got some dry cat food for her. she eates that and drinks water. and then goes back to sleep. she will get up every few hours, make sure we are near her and then go back to sleep.
for the little time, she is awake..she will come near our legs, make circles and literally 'ask' us to pet her.
She definately is not a kitten. In fact, she might be older because walks slowly. She also is fat .

My questions:
1. is this is how cats behave? eat and sleep all the time?
2. are so silent all the time? she meows only when nobody is near.
3. doesn't go out at all? not even in the lawn!!
4. Is there a way to know if she is pregnant? she has a big belly...maybe she is just fat!!

Even though i really like her now but I won't be able to keep her for more than 3-4 days because of my work schedule so what should i do now?

Thank you!

Last edited by amy_sk; 10-15-2008 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: spell check
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 08:10 PM

201 posts, read 656,039 times
it is my experience that with the exception of siamese (who are VERY outspoken), most cats are quiet, solitary, and prefer to be left alone after being provided with the necessities. I'd say if this cat just showed up out of the blue...there's a good chance that it's a "she" cat and you will likely have many little ones soon! I've had many experiences with pregnant cats just showing up and then within the following days having their kittens- which of course resulted in a need to find homes, ensure safety, comfort, etc. Remember- the cat may like your company but if pregnant, may disappear after the kittens do as well.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:42 AM

283 posts, read 892,640 times
If you plan on keeping her permanently I would recommend you take her to the vet and get her checked out. If you don't plan on keep her, there are cat rescue organizations that can help find her a home. Maybe you want to foster her while she's waiting for adoption.

Cats sleep for the most of the day. She seems to be adjusting nicely. Make sure you are feeding her good quality cat food with no grains or by products. Anything you buy from the supermarket is like junk food for cats. Food from pet stores are higher quality and better for them.

I hope you do decide to keep the cat if you are able. I just adopted my first pet 2 months ago and she brightens up my life every day. The love they return just melts your heart to pieces.

Last edited by akcher; 10-16-2008 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-16-2008, 11:46 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
If you can't keep her--your local humane shelter might be the next step. It's too bad you can't keep her being she is so well-mannered, quiet and she found you!! Most cats are extremely easy to take care of. Just leave out food, water and a clean litter box.After she has her kittens (if she's pregnant), you would only need to keep the kittens for as long as they are nursing, then bring them to the shelter. Kittens go fast and will most-likely get adopted out fast.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:53 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,919,868 times
She could also have a fat belly from being spayed. But, I'd take her to the vet and have her checked out and vaccinated. As far as the sleeping goes, cats are nocturnal and thus they sleep a lot during the day. It's normal and nothing to worry about.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:36 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Too bad you can't give her a home unlike dogs, cats don't have to walked or even go outside as long as they have a litter box.

If her belly is tight, then she is probably going to have kittens. If you are going to take her to a shelter, please try to find one that is 'no kill'. Kittens go quickly but older cats fate is usually to spend months if they are lucky before being adopted.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:29 PM

276 posts, read 1,135,846 times
Thank you all for all the advice.
I really wish i could keep her.
I have come a long way though. The first day she came into our house, i hid in the bathroom because i was scared of her. ha ha ha ha ...but now i carry and pet her. she is very nice and social and did i say very quite.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:21 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,489,451 times
She might just be lost. She sounds like someone has been taking care of her. Call the local shelter and ask if someone in your area has been looking for her. Put an ad on your local craigslist. Hopefully you can find her family.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:22 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_sk View Post
My questions:
1. is this is how cats behave? eat and sleep all the time?
Yup! As the others said, cats are nocturnal and many are quite lazy. Some cats are more active than others, but it's not unusual for them to sleep a lot... my older cat Kona can easily snooze for 22-23 hours a day.

Quote:
2. are so silent all the time? she meows only when nobody is near.
Some cats are talkers and some are not... I've had cats that were constantly chattering and yowling, but others that barely made a sound. Once again, nothing to worry about!

Quote:
3. doesn't go out at all? not even in the lawn!!
Most cats can be perfectly content inside, if you give them a litter pan and food/water... it's also much safer for them, and indoor cats live longer (on average) than outdoor ones. She obviously likes you and your home, so why leave?

Quote:
4. Is there a way to know if she is pregnant? she has a big belly...maybe she is just fat!!
Is it tight (pregnant) or squishy (just fat)? Press her belly gently, and if she's pregnant you can sometimes feel the kittens... they'll feel like small hard lumps, and just like with a pregnant human, you can even feel them squirm about. But the only way to know for sure is a vet visit, which I would recommend anyway. They can make sure she is healthy, scan for a microchip, and give you advice on caring for her - and the kittens if she is pregnant.

Good luck, and I do hope you consider keeping her! I work long hours too, and cats honestly don't mind... unlike a dog, they will barely notice you're gone. So unless you travel for days at a time, I don't think your schedule will be a problem. Cats are the perfect low-maintenance pet, and give you plenty of love and companionship in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats