Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2008, 02:38 PM

672 posts, read 5,821,434 times

Advertisements

We have two cats, and we just went out of town for a week on vacation. we came home today to find three very large urine stains on our bed, that soaked through to the mattress. We've had cats for years and nothing like this has ever happened before. We have a new kitten who is 7 months old who we got in June. We don't know which cat did it, but we suspect it is him (he has not been left alone that long since we got him, he's very needy in terms of affection.) We had a pet sitter come in every day, but maybe that's not enough for him.

My questions:

1) What is the best way to remove cat urine from a mattress?

2) Why do you think one of our cats did this? Lonlieness? Stress? There is no other urine anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 03:34 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
It could be "payback" for leaving town. But it could also be medical, UTI.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:49 PM

I'll keep a close eye on them for the next day or two to make sure it's not a UTI. But what can we do the next time we go out of town to try to prevent this from happening again?

Old 10-19-2008, 05:29 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Get a waterproof matress cover. I've had one for years b/c mine throw hairballs on the bed.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:44 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times
My sister's one cat would poop when she went away. There were pet sitters-sometimes me- but he would do it under the bed, behind a chair, behind a door- like he was trying to hide it. And it seemed he only wanted her to find it. She just closed off all the rooms and blocked behind the chairs and he stopped. I guess if he couldn't hide it there was no fun in it.

Check for a uti and follow the advice from the others. And maybe close off your room or other rooms you don't want them in. It might take him time to adjust and get used to things. From my experience with pets, when they know you will come home, they will settle down-hopefully.

Sorry I have no ideas about the mattress. Maybe you could google it????

Good luck.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:46 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
The mattress may be hopeless. That smell lingers, and probably even if you think it's gone, it's still there.

We shut our cats into the finished basement when we go away. Their food and litter boxes are in the basement anyway, and there's plenty of soft blankets etc. for them to sleep on.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:44 AM

The thing is, I don't really smell anything. Cat pee is one of the few strong smells that doesn't bother me, and that I can barely smell anyway. I would be far more bothered if someone is wearing strong perfume. We're going to try to work with the stains before chucking the mattress.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:58 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
The thing is, I don't really smell anything. Cat pee is one of the few strong smells that doesn't bother me, and that I can barely smell anyway. I would be far more bothered if someone is wearing strong perfume. We're going to try to work with the stains before chucking the mattress.
The problem is they will be able to smell it and may continue to mark over it.
There is a product called Stink Free Urine Odor Remover. They sell some specially for cats and then just a general urine remover. I have a bottle here, but thankfully have not had to use it. My daughter, who owns and runs a cattery swears by the stuff. Maybe that would work on your mattress.
Can buy it online..or I bought ours at PetCo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats