U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-27-2008, 02:16 PM

1,363 posts, read 3,842,308 times
Default Pumpkin and cat food?

Does anybody give their cats pumpkin mixed in with their food? Somebody at work posted a little article about this and was wondering if anybody on here does this. The article said it was good for the cat's fur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-27-2008, 07:43 PM

1,188 posts, read 3,033,514 times
I've never given pumpkin to our cats...but 100% pumpkin has been given to our dogs mixed in their regular food. This is a filler that helps the dogs feel more full...also known as a good source of fiber. Our dogs love it. I just give them a tablespoon on the occasion. I used it primarily when we had the dogs on a brief diet. We replaced a portion of the dry food with a portion of the pumpkin. If you are interested, I can try to look up the resource for my information.

Unread 10-27-2008, 08:33 PM

21,278 posts, read 4,701,184 times
I don't know about it being good for their fur, I've never heard that one. I use it for them as a laxative. That's what the vet had me do when my 14 year old cat had a tumor and was shutting down slowly. It worked wonders.

To make a dogs fur soft and shiny I feed them yeast tablets. I don't know if you can do that to cats or not. You'd have to research. Years ago I used to feed my cats eggs for that same reason. The egg was a natural way to make their fur glossy and soft.

Unread 10-28-2008, 11:43 AM

4,687 posts, read 4,063,720 times
Pumpkin (not pie filling type) can be used as a laxative, but I"ve heard it can do both, control diarrhea and constipation, in cats anyways. For good fur/skin, I would think some type of oil supplement would be helpful. Maybe vet can recommmend type/dosage. I would think fish oils, but you'd have to know the right dosage because it's a fat-soluble (vits A & D) vitamin and can be toxic (body won't eliminate it like a water-soluble one) to body.

Unread 10-28-2008, 01:36 PM

1,363 posts, read 3,842,308 times
Thanks everyone. I was just curious. I've given it to my dog as well to help with a case of diarhea, but had never heard of it for cats.

Unread 10-29-2008, 10:18 PM

5,503 posts, read 12,719,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
Does anybody give their cats pumpkin mixed in with their food? Somebody at work posted a little article about this and was wondering if anybody on here does this. The article said it was good for the cat's fur.
Cats are obligate carnivores. They do not eat pumpkin.

If you want to give your cat some oil, try some salmon oil. You can buy it at Whole Foods. Poke a hole in the gelatin capsule and squirt it on the kitty food.

Unread 11-01-2008, 10:46 AM

830 posts, read 1,376,731 times
As someone who does a lot of cat/kitten rescue, canned pumpkin has been a lifesaver or digestive problems. As someone else said, it works both for constipation and diarrhea. I can't even count how many times I would get parasite tests done, worm with a series of drugs, and the kitten would still have diarrhea.... and then the pumpkin worked. I just buy a million cans of it near Thanksgiving when it goes on sale cheap and have it for use throughout the year. I still worm them, obviously... but I think that sometimes cats have diarrhea simply because they've had diarrhea and if you can stop the cycle and let the gut heal about, you can get out of that rut.

My own adult cat who suffered from severe stomatitis and had liquid diarrhea for months finally cleared up on pumpkin. She was getting other treatments too (total dental extraction and others), but I do think the pumpkin helped her turn the corner with the bowels. Interestingly she also had skin issues which aren't there anymore, but I'm not sure if that was the pumpkin that helped or not.

Cats are obligate carnivores but they do get small amounts of grains/veggies in the prey they would naturally eat. They don't naturally eat pills, capsules, concentrated oils, supplements, wormer, or have surgical dental extractions either.

Unread 05-20-2010, 05:30 AM

1 posts, read 18,921 times
My cat Puffin, absolutely LOVES pumpkin! He goes crazy over peas, pumpkin, broccoli and cauliflower. I will often give him a bowl of vegies to snack on during the day, but he would always LOVE a spoonful with his wetfood. I raised him on a fresh diet of free range chicken necks and some vegies since kittenhood... Hope that helps.....'Puffin's Mum'

Unread 05-20-2010, 06:49 AM

672 posts, read 3,944,877 times
I feed my cat organic wet food that contains pumpkin. I heard it's good for their digestion system.

Unread 11-15-2010, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 22,361 times
Default Pumpkin and cats

Hi,
I do give my cats a little spoonful of pumpkin a few times a week, mixed with their wet food. My vet recommended it for hairballs, and it definitely works ! When they haven't had any for a couple of days I can almost guarantee a little kitty puke on the floor! They wouldn't eat it alone, as my vet recommended, so I just mix it with the grain free wet food.
Good luck !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats